Seafoam - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 17th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi

Seafoam

Found out this morning that Seafoam has more uses than I originally thought. Pulled off the vacuum line to the brake booster, and began pouring it in. Instant steam inside the engine compartment. Finally found that exhaust leak I though I had been hearing. The seafoam actually wets the area that is leaking, so it is very easy to detect. I know this is not a great discovery, but it may help some other people out there with an annoying exhaust leak that is difficult to find.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 18th, 2004, 12:23 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

You know when I ran Seafoam through my 90 there was steam coming from the PS of the engine. It was dark so I could not see where it was coming from, I will have to run it through again.
Old April 19th, 2004, 12:01 AM
cbkearney
Chris Kearney
Pile of Parts

I would be wary of this product. I know a lot of people have had good experience with Seafoam, but a good friend of mine had a rough idling Range Rover and I mentioned what you guys said about Seafoam and its effectiveness. He tried it and a couple of days later blew a head gasket on the Mass Pike. It could be completely unrelated, but it seems a bit suspect. Just an FYI.

CB Kearney Fine Woodworking
250 Canal St
Lawrence, MA 01840

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 19th, 2004, 12:23 AM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

I have to agree with Chris. Seems like solving the symptoms and not the problem. Just sounds problematic to me...

EwS
Old April 19th, 2004, 07:49 PM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi

I have a 4.0 with 172,000 miles that has never had a valve job. It needs one, but I will probably replace the engine before I pay for a valve job. Truck ran noticeably better after using the seafoam a couple of times. I seriously doubt this stuff would cause a head gasket to blow.
Old April 19th, 2004, 08:32 PM
pcarey
Peter Carey
'93 NAS Defender 110 #322

Same here. 170+K on a 3.9 that was idling rough. Checked hoses and stepper. Poured in some seafoam and it's evened out, mostly. Not perfect, but it will get me another few miles.

pwc

Old September 11th, 2004, 07:29 PM
jonjon
jon k
1995 defender 90 green

Cool seafoam where do I put it

I have a 95 d90 and I want to run some seafoam through it. It says to pour some in the throttle body, how do I get to it. I don't know where it is. It also says to pour some in the crankcase. Do I just pour it where the oil goes? As you can see I am far from a mechanic. Any help would be great.
thanks, Jon
Old September 11th, 2004, 09:41 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Jon, The way I read the instructions, since it's petroleum based, you can add to both the oil and to the fuel (either in the tank or into the throttle body). I removed the vacuum line from the brake master cylinder. Give it a little tug and it will pull out. No need to take off the clamp to remove the hose, just pull the plastic fitting out of the rubber grommet on the master cylinder. There's suction on that line. Put that line at the top of the can and, with the motor running, the Sea Foam will be sucked into the manifold. Careful not to stick it too far into the sea foam, or it'll flood the engine and the motor will die. I put 1/3 of the can into the throttle and the remainder into the fuel tank.

No one in their right mind would pay me to be a mechanic either, and if for some reason you trust me and the guys here say I was wrong... well, we're both hosed.
Old September 12th, 2004, 09:38 AM
jonjon
jon k
1995 defender 90 green

Ken,
Thanks It worked. I did flood the engine but after I got it started it ran great.
Thanks again,
Jon
Old September 12th, 2004, 10:33 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Merging the 2 Seafoam threads and moving it to Tech as its a good little tidbit.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old September 12th, 2004, 11:21 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

John it does say to poor some in the crank case, but it also says to do an oil change within an hour of running after pooring it in.
Old September 13th, 2004, 12:59 PM
zed111
Zed
1994/Defender 90

Hi Mike,

I poured some into the crank case on Saturday to free a sticky lifter, I didn't read anywhere on the can or the web site that they recommend changing the oil after an hour? Where did you see this?

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm

I went from Dino to synthetic and now have a sticky lifter, so far the Seafoam has not fixed it but I only ran it for about 10 minutes after using it in the crank case.

Zed

PS. I also had steam come from the PS of my engine
Old September 13th, 2004, 04:10 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Hmmm, I'll have to check the can I thought I saw that on it.
Old September 13th, 2004, 10:05 PM
jonjon
jon k
1995 defender 90 green

Well I got the seafoam in the system. I changed the oil, but it was a day after I put the seafoam in. What a mess I made. You know I read the owners manuel and it does say to put the new oil in before you take the filter off. I could not undersand how you could do that without all the new oil spilling out. I just did it the regular way took the plug out then took the filter off then put the oil in. I realized after I made a mistake. But luckily the oil light did not come on and no wierd noises. I suck at doing these kind of things.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions