Sea Foam - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 28th, 2004, 05:11 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Sea Foam

After reading about this stuff on several forums, Land Rover and other. I think I am going to try it. I will let you know what happens. I will try it on the 130 3.5 V8 twin carb and my 94 Disco with 140k miles on it. It's supposed to smoke alot, I'll see if I can attract the local fire dept. when I do it. Has anyone tried this stuff? From the sounds of other people that have used it it sounds like magic. I have been unable to find any bad press on it. Maybe I'm not lookin hard enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 29th, 2004, 09:54 AM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
What is it?
Old March 29th, 2004, 11:30 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
It,s an engine flush/ oil additive/ gas additive. I had never heard of the stuff until a few days ago. Then saw it mentioned on the Disco web. From what I have read people who use it love it and swear by it. Especially good for erratic idle problems. I did alot of research on it to see what others have said about it. Can't find anything negative. The only negative feed press I found was from people who had not heard of it or had not used it, they where skeptical of it's claims. Do a Google on Sea Foam motor or engine. Lots of info on it. I have not used it yet. I am planning on getting some today and using it tonight. Thought it might be wise to do it under cover of darkness as it is supposed to put out alot of smoke.
The stuff has been around for years and is big in the agriculture equipment and marine circles.

I'll be the guinea pig.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 29th, 2004, 12:06 PM
jkatka
Jeremy Katka

One thing you may want to do is disconnect the exhast before the cats. I have heard that this stuff will foul O2 sensors. Also if you are running it through the engine as a foam detach the MAF as it may harm that also.

Jeremy
Old March 29th, 2004, 12:35 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
I'll try it through my 130 first, no cats. If all goes well I'll try it on the Disco.
Old March 29th, 2004, 06:39 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Found it at NAPA. $13 for two cans. Now I have to wait for cover of darkness to give it a shot.
Old March 29th, 2004, 11:00 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

http://www.discoweb.org/discus/messa...tml?1080613986

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old March 30th, 2004, 01:17 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
It is done. I did the 130 first. 1/3 in the intake manifold through the power steering vacuum line. Immediate smoke out the tail pipe. 1/3 in the crank case and 1/3 in the fuel tank. Let it sit with the motor off for 10-15 minutes then went out and fumigated the neighborhood for Med Fly's. Smoked bad for 5 minutes.

Next came the Disco. Poured it through the vacuum line between the firewall and the plenum. This caused little smoke but did cause it to idle irratic and stall. Let sit for 10 minutes. Far less smoke with the Disco. BTW put the rest in crank case and fuel tank.

Impressions?

130= Better throttle response and a little better power.

Disco= Much better idle. Used to have erratic idle, now it is dead steady. Much smoother get up and go. we'll see if it lasts.

Overall there is a noticeable difference in performance. Both engines are old and a little tired so that probably contributed to the positive results. Better than any other engine additive I have ever used. Not bad for $6 a can.
Old March 30th, 2004, 08:31 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Thread moved to Tech

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old March 30th, 2004, 10:04 AM
dbwitt
Darrin Witt
1995 Defender 90

Used it a few times on my 99 Disco and 95 Defender. Never had any problems with it. My Disco I believe is suffering from the unset of sticky exhaust valves. Seafoam, I have been told will slow down the problem. So far so good.
Old March 30th, 2004, 10:55 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Used it in the 90, the (very neglected) 89 RRC and the roommate's '96 disco that had valve noise. Made little difference in my 90, made a LOT of difference in the RRC, and the '96 disco that needed head work doesn't need head work anymore. Well worth pissing the neighbors off.
Old November 9th, 2010, 10:23 AM
landy
Marcus Gersbach
1997 D90 Soft Top

used it in my 97 d90 st gas only, runs great my truck only has 55k on it -- my brother used in a subaru outback and has had front engine oil leaks dont know if it effected the seals??
Old November 9th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Holy ancient thread !
I have used sea foam quite a bit on my 115 Yamaha 2 stroke out board on the Montauk. Always seems to clear the gelled fuel out of the carb bowls.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 9th, 2010, 10:45 AM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

A lot of new studies on Seafoam and BG244K going on. It all has to do with Ethanol. These chemicals are basically powerless against Ethanol and the build-ups they produce.

I still use Seafoam about twice a year, though. Amazing how it calms an engine down and smooths it out.
Old November 9th, 2010, 11:12 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
So do you guys use Seafoam as a proactive maintenance or typically wait until symptoms arise? Other than smoothing out the idle does it seem to have any other significant benefits? I have seen this stuff on the shelf for years but never really bothered to pick up a can and read it much less use it
Old November 9th, 2010, 11:39 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf View Post
So do you guys use Seafoam as a proactive maintenance or typically wait until symptoms arise?
It will depend on who you ask. It should be used as a proactive additive. Besides, if you are running synthetic and doing it on a regular basis, you should be fine... Also, Today ALL gasoline have detergents in them. It's just to keep the engine cleaner and of course meet EPA guide lines. http://www.epa.gov/oms/fuels.htm

Quote:
Other than smoothing out the idle does it seem to have any other significant benefits?
It designed to clean the engine.

Quote:
I have seen this stuff on the shelf for years but never really bothered to pick up a can and read it much less use it
Wait for them to be on sale

I've used this back in the day, when I had the off-board engines and helped with moisture and gunk.
Old November 9th, 2010, 01:26 PM
97-D90-736
Nick Vogel
1997 D-90 / 2012 LR4

I have been a fan of this stuff for a long time. It is worthy to note that if you run it through the crank case, you should change the oil shortly there after as it will break it down.

It has never happened to me, but I do know of cat problems because they get so hot from buning up all the carbon.

And it is fun as hell to piss the neighbors off with this stuff.
Old November 9th, 2010, 01:31 PM
MERLEANDSARAH
MERLE/STEPHEY
1984 DEFENDER 110

Doug, you own a Whaler? We have a 15 foot Dauntless. Who said Rover owners have bad taste?
Old November 9th, 2010, 01:40 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERLEANDSARAH View Post
Doug, you own a Whaler? We have a 15 foot Dauntless. Who said Rover owners have bad taste?
I had a 15' foot Whaler with a 90 HP Yamaha motor... the fun/scariest ride ever...
Old November 9th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERLEANDSARAH View Post

Yeah I have a 17 Montauk with an Atlantic Towers t-top, with a 115 Yammy its scary fast. 1.7 liters of 2 stroke with big side draft carbs. Big boat is a 31 Bertram Sportfish with twin 300 hp diesels, fighting chair, outriggers etc. with 400nm range.

The Sea Foam is great for cleaning carbs on seldom run small engines. I have been very surprised how it "brings them back".

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions