Sea Foam - Page 5 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 19th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Suppatime
Drew Suppa
None (yet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkatka View Post
One thing you may want to do is disconnect the exhast before the cats. I have heard that this stuff will foul O2 sensors. Also if you are running it through the engine as a foam detach the MAF as it may harm that also.

Jeremy
It does mess with O2 sensors. Other than that though, SeaFoam is a fantastic product.

I'd start off by running half a bottle through a full tank of gas. If your truck takes kindly to it, you can start sucking it into your head through vacuum lines. Do it slowly, until the engine stalls out on you. Then wait a few minutes, start it up, and say goodbye to all the gunk in your engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 20th, 2012, 02:44 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
I would be carefull what you add to the oil of an older or poorly maintained motor. I had a customer come into my shop with his new to him jeep cj8 scrambler and wanted me to reseal the intake and add some Snake Oil to his motor before doing an oil change on it. I opened up the oil filler cap saw some black crusty deposits and recomended him not do this, but he insisted.

We pulled his rig out the door he poured in 1quart per instuctions on can cant remember what brand but it was marvels or seafoam or??

We sat back on watched and listened as it ran we heard the lifter noise getting fainter and the motor was sounding good, could this be working I was thinking?

Then the motor started to get a faint knock! I instantly shut it down, the owner started it back up and let it run a few more minutes till the knock was fierce and hammering! I just watched in ahh at the site and sound of this dieing motor. The owner a good friend of mine to this day asked me to rebuild the motor. On tear down I had found that the wonder oil removed sludge and crude and clogged the oil pump screen and oil filter.

This was an extreme case im sure but that was 12 years ago and have been sceptical about this stuff ever sense. It seems to me some poorly maintained rover motors have a large amount of build up on top of the heads, My thought is leave it there or take motor apart and clean it up rather than send it through the bearings and lifters.

Just my .02
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 20th, 2012, 10:48 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
The snake oil did its job.
Advertisement

Old April 16th, 2012, 10:04 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

Hi guys,

I need some advice. My 1989 RRC failed its initial emissions test here in Denver. Previously I had it in the mountains and there is no emissions testing there. As some background, it has 100K miles and just had a tune-up, all new plugs, wires, etc. It passed the CO and and HC test but failed the NOx test. On the NOx test, it read 7.8116 and the limit is 5.0

Before the test, I drove it about 5 miles over to the place in city start and stop traffic. It got up to temp but I did not run it very hard. Additionally, it sat turned off in the bay waiting for the guy in front of me, and the air temperature today was only high 50's.

I am thinking of changing motor oil (the oil is Rotella T synthetic that's been in there for 6 months), running some BG44K through it, and running it really hard before the next test. Do you think this will lower the NOx? It said carbon buildup contributes to NOx so hopefully the BG44K will help that. Or do you think I should do the seafoam treatment?

Would you do the BG44K right before the test, a few days before? Also, before or after the oil change?Would you do BG44K in addition to SeaFoam? I have also heard HEAT or E85 in the tank would help. Any advice is much appreciated!
Old April 16th, 2012, 10:10 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Is your computer throwing any codes ... Like a faulty O2 sensor?
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old April 16th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

No codes, and the O2 sensors are only a few years old...At the same time a new NRP full exhaust system with new cats was installed. I do have the timing advanced a few degrees.
Old April 16th, 2012, 10:18 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
BG44k is good stuff. Clean the throttle body and emissions hoses run the Bg and a tank of Shell power, drive it like you stole it. Change the oil get it retested. Your catalytic converters wont function optimally until the truck has warmed all the way up.
Old April 16th, 2012, 10:20 PM
jhhorse
joe heins
1995 defender 90

I would try the seafoam, if you do, follow the instructions carefully, but i would advocate wait a bit longer before starting up and clearing the stuff out. I have a 95 D-90 here in Colorado and never had an issue with the E test.
I have used seafoam, it appeared to clean out alot of junk, did not bother the O2 sensors a bit.
Old April 16th, 2012, 10:25 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore Ranger View Post
No codes, and the O2 sensors are only a few years old...At the same time a new NRP full exhaust system with new cats was installed. I do have the timing advanced a few degrees.
Put everything to standard settings ... You can always push it back once you have the paper. Also are all you emission control hoses on the engine in good condition?
Old April 16th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

I am leaning towards the BG44K before the Seafoam right now just because it is easier for me since I live in a condo building.

BG also has a product called Supercharge II which I might follow up with if I can get my hands on it.

I definitely made a mistake by not getting her really heated up.

I have heard mixed recommendations on the gas though: do I go with a high quality high octane tank like Shell or E85? Doesn't Ethanol in the tank help lower the NOx?

Yes, good idea, I need to reset timing and check hoses.
Old April 16th, 2012, 11:06 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
I bet setting it back to standard and checking the hoses will sort it out ...
Old April 16th, 2012, 11:23 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
I need some advice. My 1989 RRC failed its initial emissions test here in Denver. Previously I had it in the mountains and there is no emissions testing there. As some background, it has 100K miles and just had a tune-up, all new plugs, wires, etc. It passed the CO and and HC test but failed the NOx test. On the NOx test, it read 7.8116 and the limit is 5.0
Did you disable your EGR, or is it broken?

Additives and the like that will not do anything.

Short of injecting urea into the exhaust, an EGR is the only mechanical way to get the NOx number down.

Ethanol can reduce NOx but you must run at least 50%. You can't just use an additive. You must put a full tank of E85 in there and give it a try. Your hydrocarbons number will go up, but NOx will go down. If that doesn't let you pass, then fix your EGR.

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/vehi...sions_e85.html
Old April 17th, 2012, 07:06 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Do land Rovers have EGR valves?
Old April 17th, 2012, 09:35 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Old April 18th, 2012, 07:34 AM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Did you disable your EGR, or is it broken?

Additives and the like that will not do anything.

Short of injecting urea into the exhaust, an EGR is the only mechanical way to get the NOx number down.

Ethanol can reduce NOx but you must run at least 50%. You can't just use an additive. You must put a full tank of E85 in there and give it a try. Your hydrocarbons number will go up, but NOx will go down. If that doesn't let you pass, then fix your EGR.

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/vehi...sions_e85.html
I don't think I want to mess with E85 after doing some research.

If additives like BG44K and Seafoam are supposed to clean carbon deposits and those deposits contribute to NoX emissions, then why do you think an additive like that will not do anything?

My exhaust system is totally stock and intact, with the exception of the aftermarket NRP pipe. All the emissions control stuff is still there. The EGR valve might be broken, but it is not disabled. I will look into that.
Old April 18th, 2012, 10:33 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

What did you find that makes you want to avoid it?
Old April 18th, 2012, 11:08 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
If additives like BG44K and Seafoam are supposed to clean carbon deposits and those deposits contribute to NoX emissions, then why do you think an additive like that will not do anything?
It's just my opinion, but attempting to reduce your NOx emissions by 35% by cleaning carbon deposits using a can or two of solvent seems optimistic to me. Maybe if you removed the head and hot-tanked the valves, seats, and combustion chambers you might have a fighting chance.

It was probably wrong for me to say that they won't do anything. But if your goal is to pass NOx emissions, then I believe that their contribution towards that goal will not be sufficient.
Old April 18th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Chemically can someone explain to me how does loosening up solid deposits of Carbon reduce output of gaseous Nox?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old April 18th, 2012, 01:23 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
All I know is that burning seafoam makes smoke. Burning anything other than gasoline makes smoke. What the seafoam actually does I don't know. Id like to pour some on an old gummed up carb or something and see how i does breaking up sludge/gunk..
Old April 18th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
It's just my opinion, but attempting to reduce your NOx emissions by 35% by cleaning carbon deposits using a can or two of solvent seems optimistic to me. Maybe if you removed the head and hot-tanked the valves, seats, and combustion chambers you might have a fighting chance.

It was probably wrong for me to say that they won't do anything. But if your goal is to pass NOx emissions, then I believe that their contribution towards that goal will not be sufficient.
I agree it is optimistic. I just don't know how much difference having the cats fully warmed up makes either. Like I said, the truck was warm at best. I am hoping that some solvents in concert with having the truck and cats hot might make a significant difference; that might be naive. The other thing I failed to mention is that when you fail the test you can go back within 10 days at no charge to retest. So, I figure I have nothing to lose. I already have arranged to have the truck taken to my Land Rover mechanic on Tuesday (plan to test it again myself Monday).

The funny thing is the first thing he suggested was seafoam!

I will make sure to report back on my findings on Monday on the test, round 2.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions