Sea Foam - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 9th, 2010, 03:59 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

how do we feel about using this on a diesel?
http://www.seafoamsales.com/motor-treatment.html - they say it can be done
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 12th, 2010, 07:02 AM
Mpigapicha
phil
1995 Defender D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstrubl View Post
how do we feel about using this on a diesel?
http://www.seafoamsales.com/motor-treatment.html - they say it can be done

I've used it on my VW diesel and instantly have better mpg........
Old November 12th, 2010, 05:35 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97-D90-736 View Post
I have been a fan of this stuff for a long time. It is worthy to note that if you run it through the crank case, you should change the oil shortly there after as it will break it down.

It has never happened to me, but I do know of cat problems because they get so hot from buning up all the carbon.

And it is fun as hell to piss the neighbors off with this stuff.
Yeah, a lot of people do it right before an oil change.

When I used to drive a crown vic interceptor, just before an oil change, I would pour some in a cup, stick the pcv valve tube in it and have it sucked up until the engine stalled out. I'd let it sit for 30 mins and then take it for a quick drive around the block. I would floor it down the street and watch the area fill up with a massive thick cloud of smoke. I'd be laughing my ass off with tears in my eyes. The stuff works good. I put it in the gas of all my Rovers every few months.

-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 13th, 2010, 08:11 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

It's just Naptha and Isopropanol with a little light oil mixed in.
Old May 16th, 2011, 01:14 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Whats the easiest location to pour (or as specops said, have it sucked) into the crankcase?
I'd like to not have to remove a ton of lines, etc.
Old May 16th, 2011, 01:52 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstrubl View Post
Whats the easiest location to pour (or as specops said, have it sucked) into the crankcase?
I'd like to not have to remove a ton of lines, etc.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/diesel-engine-faqs.html

Looks like you just dump it into the Fuel filter and the crank case...

------ Follow up post added May 16th, 2011 01:54 PM ------

I wonder how much smoke would come out of a diesel.....
Old May 16th, 2011, 02:23 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Pure snake oil, guaranteed to do nothing but burn up in the combustion chamber. Market is full of this kind of stuff and it makes the vendors lots of money. I remember this stuff called STP that you put in the engine oil. I don't think it did anything but make Andy Granatelli into a wealthy man.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old May 16th, 2011, 02:57 PM
grnthng
Luis A. Costa
'93 Range Rover County LWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Pure snake oil, guaranteed to do nothing but burn up in the combustion chamber. Market is full of this kind of stuff and it makes the vendors lots of money. I remember this stuff called STP that you put in the engine oil. I don't think it did anything but make Andy Granatelli into a wealthy man.
I will totally disagree....proof is in the pudding!
Good example... everybody has this problem, the first time you try to start your lawnmowers and small motors or motorcycles or whatever evry spring.... what goes wrong????
Hard starting...sputtering miisfireing etc....
Ever since I have used this in combonation with some Chevron Techron in any motor I own i have not had one start up issue!
Especially the motrs that sit for long periods! Before that I would have to pay someone to clean up the gumming in the mower motor..... no more!
My 1988 M6 sat for over a year... no garage,under a cover with a battery tender plugged to it, when I went to start it.. no smoke, no rough idle, no misfiring!

Btw, this product is not STP...that would be like comparing Waxoyl to cheap undercoating that dries up and cracks to let the moisture in!!

Its aspirin for motors!!

I have always poured 1 bottle to 1 full tank, just before long trips especially!
Old May 16th, 2011, 03:06 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
http://www.seafoamsales.com/diesel-engine-faqs.html

Looks like you just dump it into the Fuel filter and the crank case...

------ Follow up post added May 16th, 2011 01:54 PM ------

I wonder how much smoke would come out of a diesel.....
no liquids or sprays should be used through the air intake system of a Diesel engine including cleaners and starting fluids. If this is done to a Diesel engine it can cause major engine damage including Hydro-Lock or uncontrolled engine acceleration known as “RUN AWAY”.

Yeah that's why I was asking. Looks like the fuel filter it is. Thanks.
Old May 16th, 2011, 03:12 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Let me know. I am interested to see if this works.. Injectors are really F-N expensive..
Old May 16th, 2011, 03:50 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnthng View Post
I will totally disagree....proof is in the pudding!
Good example... everybody has this problem, the first time you try to start your lawnmowers and small motors or motorcycles or whatever evry spring.... what goes wrong????
Hard starting...sputtering miisfireing etc....
Ever since I have used this in combonation with some Chevron Techron in any motor I own i have not had one start up issue!
Especially the motrs that sit for long periods! Before that I would have to pay someone to clean up the gumming in the mower motor..... no more!
My 1988 M6 sat for over a year... no garage,under a cover with a battery tender plugged to it, when I went to start it.. no smoke, no rough idle, no misfiring!

Btw, this product is not STP...that would be like comparing Waxoyl to cheap undercoating that dries up and cracks to let the moisture in!!

Its aspirin for motors!!

I have always poured 1 bottle to 1 full tank, just before long trips especially!
I didn't think I would be able to convince the hard core believers. Buy it, love it, pour it all over yourself...don't care really.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old May 16th, 2011, 04:07 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Use this stuff with every oil change. Love it.

I pull the vacuum line off the valve cover on the drivers side that runs back up and into the plenum. Don't just dunk the hose into the can; just allow it to sip the Sea Foam until it's 1/3rd gone. I then dump a 1/3rd in to the crank case via the oil cap, and a 1/3 into the gas tank.

Once I've sucked a 1/3rd into the plenum, I kill the engine for about 5 minutes. On re-start it smokes like crazy the first time you do it. But if you do this regularly, it does not smoke so bad. Once the stuff is burned out, you'll really hear, and feel, a difference in your engine. It idles so much smoother.

I like to run the truck at operating temp for about 30 minutes and then change the oil.

I replaced my valve cover gaskets at 120,000 miles. I've been doing this treatment every 3000 to 4000 since 90,000. At 120,000 the inside of my valve covers were amazingly clean. No black gunk, very little tarnish, etc.. Blame it on the Rotella-T or the Sea Foam, does not matter....I'll just keep doing what I've been doing.
Old May 16th, 2011, 05:26 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Yup that stuff is good. smoothed out my idle a bit the first time I used it on the Defender

I put Rotella in the RRC because it was filled with gunk from the previous owners neglect. I think lots of Rotella changes and seafoam and it should clean the engine out nice. Rotella is full of detergents for those oh so dirty, slutty diesel engines
Old May 16th, 2011, 05:46 PM
kevkon
kevin

You could save yourself some money by just getting Seafoams main ingredient; Naptha.
It's just a solvent.
Another thing, having smoke upon start up after a period of storage is not a bad thing. It shows that oil has been in the upper galleries and cylinder. No smoke can mean that there's no oil present and you have a dry start.
Old May 16th, 2011, 05:59 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Or clean the injectors yourself using a 170W sonicator off Amazon. (bio speak for an ultrasonic cleaner.)

I'm not convinced of the effectiveness of "injector cleaner" that you use through the fuel system, at least not in cleaning up old/fouled injectors. I remember my little brother sonicating gas injectors in a bath of Kerosene and what came out of those injectors (about 10 years old) was pretty nasty!
Old May 16th, 2011, 07:57 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
just put a bottle in my truck two weeks ago before an oil change as Dan described...I'm always skeptical of these types of products but the truck does seem to have smoothed out some.
Old May 16th, 2011, 09:09 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

I don't know how much Seafom cleans the injectors, if it even does. It may free up some sticky deposits from old fuel sitting stagnate in the fuel system, but if you drive your truck regularly this is probably not an issue anyway. It's a bigger deal in motors on lawn mowers or weed eaters that sit for months without running.

But what Seafoam will do it get rid of the moisture in your fuel tank and fuel system. Moisture in fuel is a big issue these days. Even last winter my sister's car stalled about a mile from her home. She had it towed to a garage, and long story short the gas line was frozen solid. They left it in the garage for a few hours, got the car running, and then used Seafoam as a gas treatment to get rid of the moisture. Car ran fine ever since.

Take a look under your oil cap and see if you have any water droplets, or a white sludge, under the cap. That's moisture. Try some Seafoam.
Old May 16th, 2011, 10:20 PM
kevkon
kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman View Post
I don't know how much Seafom cleans the injectors, if it even does. It may free up some sticky deposits from old fuel sitting stagnate in the fuel system, but if you drive your truck regularly this is probably not an issue anyway. It's a bigger deal in motors on lawn mowers or weed eaters that sit for months without running.

But what Seafoam will do it get rid of the moisture in your fuel tank and fuel system. Moisture in fuel is a big issue these days. Even last winter my sister's car stalled about a mile from her home. She had it towed to a garage, and long story short the gas line was frozen solid. They left it in the garage for a few hours, got the car running, and then used Seafoam as a gas treatment to get rid of the moisture. Car ran fine ever since.

Take a look under your oil cap and see if you have any water droplets, or a white sludge, under the cap. That's moisture. Try some Seafoam.
Hence the isopropyl alcohol in Seafoam. It doesn't really get rid of moisture, it just keeps it in suspension and allows it to become combustible.
There is no magic additive out there, snake oils included.
Old May 16th, 2011, 10:22 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

I thought the ethanol in gas alleviated the majority of that problem?
Old May 17th, 2011, 09:27 AM
grnthng
Luis A. Costa
'93 Range Rover County LWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
I didn't think I would be able to convince the hard core believers. Buy it, love it, pour it all over yourself...don't care really.
Yeah!..... I substitute a shot of brandy with Seafoam whilst sipping my expresso everynight!!!

------ Follow up post added May 17th, 2011 09:36 AM ------

You oil burning dudes can also fill your fuel filter with kerosene at your pm's and also use the Lucas fuel injector cleaner/upper cyl. lubricator.....can also be usd with petrol motors ( the Lucas inj. clnr. not the kerosene ) its also good stuff!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions