SD cage tech - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 24th, 2015, 04:16 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

SD cage tech

If you have a 2-door non-Tithonous soft top 110 with a SD roll cage (particularly the RBL0987SSS), I need your help: I need some detailed pics of your cage for a project I'm working on. Specifically, I need some pics of the front cage hoop: how it mates with the drain channels and how it mates with the tub. I've scoured the 'net Horsey-style but I can't find anything besides the two crappy photos from SD's page.

So I'm planning on ditching my Kid N' Play high-rise Tithonus roll cage for a standard SD cage that can accommodate a standard Exmoor canvas soft top. There are two potential contenders:

RBL0987SSS - A cage that's been made by SD for a while now. It supposedly sits aft of the front hoop (the galvanized, stocker LR soft top one) and relies upon that front hoop to support the drain channels.

RBL2447SSS - If you subscribe to the SD mailing list, you probably read about this one recently. It's their new cage that fully replaces the front stock hoop and ties in with the drain channel directly:

The easy solution is for me to ditch the Tithonus cage completely and install one of those SD cages. The difficult but more desirable solution is to figure out how to retain the sturdy windshield roll cage that came with Tithonus and tie it into one of these SD cages.

For those unfamiliar, the front section of the Tithonus cage has a tube that runs above the doors and stops abruptly. A large bolt goes through this tube and mates with a tab that sticks out about 3-4" forward of the B-pillar hoop. To mate this front cage with one of the shorty SD cages, I could either modify the drain channel bracket on the B-pillar to accept the big bolt or I could cut the horizontal tube somewhere above the door and sleeve it to an extended tube that comes back to meet with the roll cage, a la the NAS-style cage.

Before I decide, I need some pics of the 0987 cage. Anybody run one of these?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 24th, 2015, 11:10 AM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

Do these pictures show what you need for the drain channel?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	111889   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled2.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	111890  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled1.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	111891  
Old January 24th, 2015, 11:43 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiftRover View Post
Do these pictures show what you need for the drain channel?
That looks like the newer hoop-less cage, the 2477, right?

/
/
/
/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 24th, 2015, 11:55 AM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

Yes, it's the newer cage. Those photos are on the SD website. Seems like if you want to keep the Tithonus front hoop the bars above the doors will need to be shortened since the Tithonus b hoop mounts further back on the tub. Seems like the vertical location would be very close to where the drain channel mounts to the b hoop on the 2447 cage tho.
Old January 24th, 2015, 12:01 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Yeah, that's along the lines of what I'm thinking. I will probably cut Her Majesty's Own horizontal bars somewhere above the door and sleeve them onto a piece that comes back to meet the SD cage like the NAS trucks do.

/
/
/
/
Old January 24th, 2015, 12:01 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Do you realize these trucks are rare and you are defiling its soul by by bastardizing it away from what the factory, MOD, and Queen intended?

-Jeff
I think LR, the Ministry and the Queen have done their fair share of bastardizing to look the other way!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
cage