Screwball or Nifty? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 25th, 2013, 11:58 AM
kinetic
Kinetic Adventures
TDI's

Screwball or Nifty?

I'm not sure if this is a great idea, or more of a 'no Aaron!' idea, but here goes:

I'm trying to find a home for two fuel cans for the 90. I'd prefer to keep them outside the vehicle, and as low as possible (so the obvious roof rack option is off the table at the moment). My question is if anyone has mounted a fuel can holder with associated fuel can to the rear Safety Devices ladder between the bottom mount and the one above it (the area where the license plate is). I am wondering if it can handle the weight hanging off it while moving - and if so, 1 can or 2? I tried contacting SD, but they were unwilling to give me an answer as to not implicate themselves on any damage that might occur. FWIW, my spare is mounted to a Mantec, but from what I hear, it's just sufficient for the spare, and nothing else.

Any cool / creative ideas would be greatly appreciated!

-Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I've got 10 gallons of fuel and water mounted to my Mantec carrier above and on my 35"spare tire. Worked just fine for 3 years so far.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old February 25th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

I do not have the ladder but from what I have seen I think it would be fine until you started bouncing around on the trial. What does the bottom attach into?
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2013, 03:06 PM
kinetic
Kinetic Adventures
TDI's

Hey Wolf, you have a picture of that setup? I was told by the guys at Expedition Exchange that the Defender with the mantec couldn't handle the weight of the tire plus a high lift, and started having hinge problems. I'm not sure how strong the metal bar is around the mid section of the defender (where upper mount of mantec attaches), but I would imagine that the lower mount into the crossmember is pretty tough. How often / how much are the cans being supported by the mantec? I seem to remember a picture of your truck with the rotopax cans up high at one point.

Mike, I honestly have no idea what the ladder attaches to exactly. The bottom mount is just above the screws for the rear light guards, so it looks almost like nothing strong, but I think SD mentioned it was rated for at least 250lbs standing on it, so I'd imagine it's gotta be more than just one mount supporting all that weight. I definitely agree with the bouncing around - which is my main concern on any solution. If the Mantec can handle the weight, I'd be awesome.
Old February 25th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearmonkey View Post
Hey Wolf, you have a picture of that setup? I was told by the guys at Expedition Exchange that the Defender with the mantec couldn't handle the weight of the tire plus a high lift, and started having hinge problems. I'm not sure how strong the metal bar is around the mid section of the defender (where upper mount of mantec attaches), but I would imagine that the lower mount into the crossmember is pretty tough. How often / how much are the cans being supported by the mantec? I seem to remember a picture of your truck with the rotopax cans up high at one point.
I've got a Mantec (or what I was told) with a Hi-Lift mount. It mounts to the body and crossmember and has reinforcing plates on the interior, and then of course attaches to the door. I've been meaning to fab up some sort of support that ties the upper interior plate to the SD cage mount right next to it).

I welded an inverted U shaped tube to the upper bar and mounted two Rotopax mounts that hold 4x 2 gallon cans. I also carry a Daystar Cam Can 2.5 gallon (gas/oil for the trail saw) mounted to the 35" spare, PLUS the Trasharoo!

Yep, it's a heavy door fully loaded, but haven't had any issues. Keep in mind I rarely travel with all the fuel and water cans mounted, only on long excursions.

Pay no attention to the, er, mud that ate my truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4305.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	66963   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4281.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	66964  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old February 25th, 2013, 06:52 PM
kinetic
Kinetic Adventures
TDI's

Thanks for the pics! I was wondering how you managed to get the rotopax up there. Nice to hear it may be an option. Then again, I could just go for the aux tank under the pass. seat and stop being such a sissy!
Old February 25th, 2013, 08:08 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Thanks for the pics! I was wondering how you managed to get the rotopax up there. Nice to hear it may be an option. Then again, I could just go for the aux tank under the pass. seat and stop being such a sissy!
Or an auxiliary under the rear arch ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old February 25th, 2013, 10:43 PM
kinetic
Kinetic Adventures
TDI's

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Or an auxiliary under the rear arch ...
Noticed those in my searches, but they make me nervous with their exposure, and the fact that I run 35" tires. It does seem like a fantastically simpler version tho
Old March 12th, 2013, 07:44 PM
MattGuyver_007
Matt VA
1995 D90 SW

I fabricated a mount that allows everything to be bolted up (no welding, drilling, or cutting of your rig) and is similar to the spare tire mount Rotopax offers for Jeeps. It is a very clean mount and allows everything to function freely- rear door opens completely, unobstructed rear view, and ladder access is unimpeded. I can post additional pics of the mount but these show the basics (Rotopax black storage box and fuel tank shown).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2013-03-10 09.14.09.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	68008   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-03-10 09.50.58.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	68009  

Name:	2013-03-10 12.11.49.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	68010  
Old March 12th, 2013, 08:53 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
As long as it is high enough so if you get rear ended by a Prius or something you don't blow up. I personally know of two people who were burned in auto crashes. One to death, the other over 70% of her body. Both involved spare gas cans. Cuidado!
Old March 13th, 2013, 09:25 AM
kinetic
Kinetic Adventures
TDI's

Matt - that's a pretty nifty solution. Nice and simple, and removable. Probably something you could sell on here if you were interested. How does everyone like the Rotopax cans? For plastic, I was looking at Scepter, but very expensive. Not really worried about pouring tho - have a syphon to cover that part.
Old March 13th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I love my Rotopax cans and the fact that they are flat and stackable. They can easily lay flat on a roof rack and are stackable. I just picked up a 1gal Rotopax red fuel can and spacer - it just screws on to my existing double 2 gallon stack I already have.

Semper Fi!
Old March 13th, 2013, 09:56 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
As long as it is high enough so if you get rear ended by a Prius or something you don't blow up. I personally know of two people who were burned in auto crashes. One to death, the other over 70% of her body. Both involved spare gas cans FILLED WITH PETROL. Cuidado!
I fixed your quote for you.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old March 13th, 2013, 10:02 AM
kinetic
Kinetic Adventures
TDI's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
I fixed your quote for you.
Go ahead... rub it in...
Old March 13th, 2013, 07:11 PM
MattGuyver_007
Matt VA
1995 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
As long as it is high enough so if you get rear ended by a Prius or something you don't blow up. I personally know of two people who were burned in auto crashes. One to death, the other over 70% of her body. Both involved spare gas cans. Cuidado!
True. There are roughly 400,000 people killed in traffic deaths worldwide every year and to avoid this fate, don't ever drive or ride in a vehicle.
Old March 13th, 2013, 08:17 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Matt, just my 2 cents.

Mark, thanks for the fix
Old March 13th, 2013, 10:28 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Front Runner offers this different type of holder
http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com...ACKET-p20.html
Old March 14th, 2013, 09:24 AM
kinetic
Kinetic Adventures
TDI's

I really like that option. My only concern is how susceptible it is to being grabbed by a tree branch, vine, etc. I see it's on one of the No Limits trucks in the pic. I know they're not running them currently, so I'm wondering if they had issues with it there. Maybe Mark can chime in - I have a funny feeling he knows the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Front Runner offers this different type of holder
http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com...ACKET-p20.html
Old March 14th, 2013, 09:27 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Don't mount fuel cans to the side of your truck. While it might look cool, you are setting yourself up for some awesome trail damage.

Semper Fi!
Old March 14th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
I really like that option. My only concern is how susceptible it is to being grabbed by a tree branch, vine, etc. I see it's on one of the No Limits trucks in the pic. I know they're not running them currently, so I'm wondering if they had issues with it there. Maybe Mark can chime in - I have a funny feeling he knows the answer.
yeah, ughh no! Guatemala reinforced my accessorizing discipline to envision a wrist size vine that is hanging down to the ground running from bullbar all the way along the side of the vehicle to the back. I examine anything that will catch that vine and mitigate or eliminate it.

In the Peten, The NLX Crew cab had the ROW side mounted snorkel ripped off the intake from one of those vines, which made me so glad to have a top side wing mounted NAS style snorkel. That side mount jerry can holder is good for southern africa where it is mostly desert/savannah, but not in woods, tundra or jungle.

That side mount would also make a roll over dramatically more interesting.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions