Screw Loose - Mental Health and owning a Defender - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 7th, 2014, 11:13 AM
richord
Richard Ordowich
1987/D90

Registry
Screw Loose - Mental Health and owning a Defender

I think that medical health insurance should have a provision for Defender owners. From my experience Defender owners suffer from the "screw loose" syndrome.

In the limited time I have owned my Defender I have found numerous instances of loose screws. Loose window crank assemblies, lose read door latches, loose hood etc. Most recently the header screws on my engine. This discovery was by accident.

I dropped a screw on the top of the engine while trying to repair the shroud around the turbo charger. As I was searching for the screw, I came upon a loose nut (not me) which was one of the fasteners that hold the header to the block. I checked the other bolts and found two others loose as well.

The good news is that most screws and bolts will not fall off. They are prevented from falling off by nature, rust. After this most recent experience I went about checking to see if I had other screws loose.

What is required is a physician's (mechanics) guide to loose screws. A map of all the accessible bolts and screws and a treatment plan to check each and every one. By the time you check all the screws it will be time to start over. This of course could lead to the need for life long "screw loose" treatments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 7th, 2014, 11:16 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

You didn't mention the loose nut behind the steering wheel!
Old July 7th, 2014, 11:26 AM
richord
Richard Ordowich
1987/D90

Registry
The the loose nut behind the wheel only happens when I don't tighten the steering wheel nut. I always keep a pair of vice grips handy when that happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 7th, 2014, 12:46 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
A full set of m4,m5,m6,m8,and m10 nylocks really helps
Old July 7th, 2014, 12:51 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

When working on my wife's Volvo, noticed that the engine mount off the suspension tower brace looked odd. The Engine had been pulled to fix the tranny about 70,000 earlier. We found the original bolt lodged in the engine bay......

Does that mean Volvo mechanics are nuts?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
defender