screaming clutch - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 14th, 2006, 07:31 AM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

screaming clutch

driving home from work i push the clutch in and the pedal stayed to the floor,reach down and release it and it works fine.a few mile further down the road every time i dipped the clutch it would make a screaming sound.drove it round the block later and all was well for a while then it started again.i had a new clutch fitted last year which was ok for a while then it would make a noise till it warmed up,i'm thinking clutch release bearing????

looked under throw out bearing,found the anser.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 14th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Bummer Jimmy, did they replace the throw out bearing when they did the clutch? it's only a $20 part. Maybe something is screwed up with your clutch slave cylinder?
Old March 14th, 2006, 08:14 AM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

i supplied them with all the parts.will have to wait for the weekend to look at cylinders.get the revs right and you dont need the clutch anyway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 22nd, 2007, 08:03 PM
peachyracer
Peter Stolz
My wifes '94 D90 POE #1500

Registry
I'm hearing a noise when I push in the clutch, and it sounds like a throw out bearing to me. Back in summertime, my daughter was driving it and she put the clutch in as she approached a stop sign. There were no cars coming so she left the clutch in and went to 1st. When she was ready to go, the clutch stayed on the floor. She tried pulling it out with her hand, but it wouldn't come. A guy that was behind her (coincidentally, her swim coach) came over and was able to pull it out. It has worked fine ever since except that now it got cold out, there's a noise when you dip the clutch. As it warms up, the noise goes away.

Throw out bearing? Would that cause the clutch to stick to the floor?
Hope everybody's having a great Thanksgiving!
Thanks, Pete

Old November 23rd, 2007, 08:19 AM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

Hi All, it does sound like the thrust bearing, it may have come off the pivot arm and is staying in contact with the pressure plate this would wear it out and make it scream before it overheats and breaks up.!

if you are pulling the cluch to change it take a good look at the pivot arm, if you have a pressed steel one swap it and the pivot for a cast arm and new pivot, as i have had 2 pivot arms wear through on the pivot point with the result of not being able to use the clutch, had 2 long trips home mashing the gearbox.

I also swap out the thrust (throwout?) bearing with a heavy duty all alloy unit, and have never had problems once done, it adds to the cost but its done once and done right.

as a second point the typical thrust bearing noise that happens when idling and stops when the clutch peddle is pressed can also be the layshft in the gearbox, best to drain oil and check for silver flecks and swarf on the sump plug( fit a magnetic one if in doubt) refill with good oil noise may go away for a short time.

had enough of clutch woes and pulling gearboxes on my drive so now building 300tdi auto 90.!

a good weekend to All

Gren
Old November 24th, 2007, 12:32 PM
peachyracer
Peter Stolz
My wifes '94 D90 POE #1500

Registry
Thanks Gren. You have confirmed my suspicions, and I'll check the parts when I pull it apart.

Good luck and have fun with the 300 tdi!

Pete

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
clutch