scratch built roof bike rack - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 22nd, 2005, 09:37 AM
mspell
Michael Spellman

scratch built roof bike rack

I just bought a new mtn bike, & I'm amazed at how crappily it fits into the D-90 (ST). I was thinking about putting together a roof rack that I can put a few bikes onto. My idea was to have the front fork of the bike mount onto something that attaches to the threaded tabs(ostensibly where lights go) on the front cage, & anchor the rear wheel to the roll cage. This would give me the ability to put maybe 4 bikes across the top. Also, most likely whenever I'm going biking it'll be nice enough out so I won't necc. have the top on. Any one have thoughts/input?

The front fork would ideally mount onto a plate made from stainless steel/aluminum stock same size/shape as an index card. This "card" would have a bolt running through the middle of it & the threaded tab that's there now. On the left & right of this now-mounted-plate/card I was thinking an eye-bolt, through which a threaded rod would run. I'd put the fork onto the rod & tighten it down with a few bolts/wing nuts(exactly how the wheel attaches)...???????????????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 22nd, 2005, 09:44 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I think you'll be challenged to fit four bikes, fork first up there. You might be able to if you stagger them, 1st with fork, 2nd with rear wheel, 3rd with fork, 4th with rear wheel.

As for top off. I don't know where you ride, but the last thing I would want on my trip home is mud and grease dripping on me from above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 09:59 AM
mspell
Michael Spellman

Hmmm... great point on the dwips. Another half baked idea of mine, overlooking important details. BTW, do you ever bike up around Cape Ann? I've got a house up there on Plum Island & I'm wondering if there's any decent trails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 22nd, 2005, 10:50 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Nope, never been around the Cape Ann area. Although I'd be happy to go exploring.

Old March 22nd, 2005, 11:38 AM
jstrong98
Jon Strong

I use a thule rack that fits into the hitch reciever and folds down to allow the rear door to open, holds 3 bikes with no problems. Also have a rook rack, but thats reserved for my surfboards

JS
Old March 22nd, 2005, 12:26 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

We have the cross bars on our D-90 and Thule bike racks bolt right onto the cross bars. That's the best thing that I've found so far. IIRC, Atlantic British or Rovers North sells the cross bars. In fact, I think somone was selling some in the for sale section on here.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 03:38 PM
mspell
Michael Spellman

What's the ballpark cost for the racks?
Old March 22nd, 2005, 09:02 PM
Marc Weinstein
Marc Weinstein
defender 90 '94

Try a saris "bones" rack on the front brush bar. Holds 3 bikes when needed and folds down when not in use. No climbing up or taking wheels off of the bikes. You can see over the bikes while driving. Works for me.
Old March 23rd, 2005, 01:48 AM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
Bike rack

I had a Landcruiser and built a bike carrier on the full roof rack. Looked cool, but was a HUge pain in the ass. Draging bikes up and down all the time becomes a big hastle.

With the D90 I am using the Thule rack in the receiver hitch. Attatchments are available to hold 2 or 4 bikes. It has ample clearance out past the spare (I'm running 285/75/16's) and I have had no problem fitting 4 downhill bikes. (full suspension, 40 lb. bikes) You can lock the rack to the hitch with a Thule accessory lock, and lock the bikes to the rack.

By far the best way to go. I live on the North Shore in Vancouver, it's standard practice to shuttle by car from the bottom of one of the local mountains to the top (about 3500 vertical feet, 10 minute drive, and ride down, 45 minutes or so via the trails). 3 or 4 trips in a day. Hoisting bikes to the roof can get exhausting.

http://www.trailpeak.com/content/tra...DFinalSymr.jpg
http://www.trailpeak.com/content/tra...1/3D_Final.jpg
http://www.trailpeak.com/content/tra...po_snakes3.jpg
http://www.trailpeak.com/content/tra...topo_Mark1.jpg

enjoy the links....
Old March 23rd, 2005, 07:57 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I'm using a Yakima spare tire rack, called the spare roc. I think they discontinued it but it's your best bet if you have an aftermarket spare tire carrier that can withstand the weight. I always hated the hitch recevier setups I had, even the swingaway ones because they vibrated, hung down low and had to be removed for wheeling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Small0627.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	2799  

Old March 23rd, 2005, 08:41 AM
mspell
Michael Spellman

I don't like those pics at all...makes me realize how much edjumacation I need on this new toy of mine.
Old March 23rd, 2005, 08:55 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
yeah I have the Yakima its pretty tough, the one Dave is talking about. I have backed it into things ran into the ground going down hills. It is more stable than any other hitch mounted racks I have seen. but yeah it can be a PITA takin on and off to wheel, I just leave it on. I wouldnt put bikes on top of my Defender I think I would forget about em. I paid 350 for my roc-n-gate but I got a hook up from a guy that owns the bike shop
Old March 23rd, 2005, 10:49 AM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan

As for the thule style crossbars that I was talking about, I can't remember how much we paid for them. We bought them right when we bought the D back in 94. For some reason I want to say it was right around $100. I really don't remember though. I have tried looking for them online and can't seem to find them, I'll keep looking for you.

The receiver racks generally work very well too though.
Old March 23rd, 2005, 10:53 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Are you guys talking about this?

http://www.roverconnection.com/Def%2...fbasicrack.htm

Lokks like it's discontinued.
Old March 23rd, 2005, 10:56 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
maybe I am retarted today but it seems like I read somewhere that the X-terra mounts would work on the D-90 roll cage, the X has that roof basket thing with some pretty big bars. I am sure the yakima or thule people would know whats up
Old March 23rd, 2005, 12:09 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan

Mike, that's exactly what I was looking for. Too bad they're discontinued, they've been great for us. In that picture, the bars are pretty close together, we were able to mount the feet right where the roll cage started to curve and it spreads the bars out enough to get a bike on therre securely.

Good suggestion about the Xterra too. That just may work.
Old March 23rd, 2005, 12:44 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

OK, I have both, a Yakima rack on top and the Yakima spare tire carrier (sometimes have 4 or more bikes to carry). I really like the spare tire carrier but it doesn't always fit all types of bikes well. The roof rack is nice for lite bikes but a bitch when trying to mount and dismount heavier bikes ( > 35 -40 lbs). You could fab a mount for 4 bikes using the front light bar but you would have to make a rack or bar that bolted to the light bar and spread across the top with more space to mount the bikes so that the handle bars don't hit each other. Seems like alot of work to me and putting bikes in the middle would be rough. I would go with the rear mount, spare tire preferably. And if you are carrying downhill bikes then go with the hitch mount that will carry the bikes without removing the front wheel, sort of like the motorcycle carrier you see with the bike sitting on a tray. Downhillers don't fit well on the spare tire carrier.
Old March 23rd, 2005, 08:40 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
IF you look closely at this pic , brought up in another thread, you'll notice this person went with some type of Yakima mount...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, rack, roof