School me on the non-NAS Defenders - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 2nd, 2011, 10:48 AM
Pinzer
John
None

School me on the non-NAS Defenders

Hi, I like the Defender 90s with manual transmissions. The '94s and '95s are out of my price range. I've seen some mid-80s listed for sale on here and Ebay. I assume they've been imported? Seem to be mostly diesels and right-hand drive.

What are the mechanical differences between the older ones and the newer NAS Defenders? Do they use the same transmission, transfer case, and axles? Are there any early models with gas engine and left hand drive imported? Any other significant differences? I assume these earlier models may often have problems with rust/rot since they came from the U.K.?

How do the diesels perform on the road? Any available here with A/C?

I had a SII some years ago, but I'm sure the coilers ride much nicer on and off the road.

Thanks and great forum!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 2nd, 2011, 11:12 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
I'll let some of the experts answer on the detailed mechanical differences... but yes, they are all imports. Vehicles greater than 25 years old can be imported with EPA's and DOT's blessing with minimal hassle. For the most part the chassis and body is the same as a NAS, the big differences that I know of are the V8 engine in the NAS trucks, the safari/roll cages the NAS have, and in the case of the '97s, Auto trannys.

Many are Right hand drive, but there are also lefts, and a competent rover shop that knows Defenders well can flip the steering over to the left.

Gas engines are available, but it seems to me that most imports are diesel. Here in Kaleeeforneya a 1984/1985 gas engine would have to pass smog, so it makes a diesel attractive. To sweeten the deal a little more, the Tdi's get much better mileage than the gas engines.

Rust/rot is no different than a NAS truck, it all depends on how it's been treated over its life. If it was a collie carrier from a farm in the british isles somewhere left out in the open all the time, it's gonna be a little worse for wear. If it was lovingly stored in a garage and rubbed with a diaper its whole life then it's gonna be beautiful. Chassis replacements are not unheard of on these imports.

A/C might be on them, there was an option for the Tdis to have it, so it may have been retrofitted.

To get an idea of what's out there, check out Rovers Out East or Dividing Creek Imports. There are others out there, those are the two that come to mind.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 12:02 PM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

Wasn't the rear fuel tank a NAS feature on the D90? As opposed to the slightly smaller under the passenger seat fuel tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 2nd, 2011, 12:39 PM
DieselDef
Brad Ingalls
1985 Defender

FWIW, I was in the same boat. Didn't want to pay the high price for a gas hog but wanted the Defender capabilities. I recently purchased an '85 RHD 200tdi recently imported. All the places prone to being rusted out are solid. And yes being 25 years old means it going to need some work. So, I've been going through it replacing parts prone to failure because of age such as oil seals, brake calipers and such. Parts are readily available and there is a wealth of information available on the web for those things you may not be familiar with. For me it is the turbo-diesel engine.
If you had a SIIA I'd guess that you are willing and able to work on one which will be necessary for reasons mentioned. From my perspective it is well worth it because I can set it up the way I want it, have it in top notch condition, and have much less invested in the end. In addition I will know exactly the condition of everything on the beast since I will have had my hands on most all of it by the time on done, with the exception of the internals of the engine and drive train.
Well, there's my two cents, hope it helps.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 12:52 PM
Pinzer
John
None

Good info. I've had lots of experience wrenching on vehicles as I've had a variety of vintage 4x4s over the years. However, I have had no experience working on diesels, so not much familiarity with them.

Keep the info coming.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 01:10 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
If you want to get an idea of what's involved with a Tdi, go to www.landroverresource.com and get the 300 Tdi workshop/overhaul manual. It's near the bottom of the page.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 02:16 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Basically the same truck, NAS have a external roll cage, same electrical system, heating, driveline...parts are readily available and if you can work on a v8, you can work on a tdi.

As with any old truck, rust and rot are your biggest concern. Be careful when purchasing, ask for pictures of the bulkhead, floor without carpets, rear crossmember, body frame mounts and the frame., door bottoms...

several companies importing them, I went with Julian at Globallanderrovers.com for the truck and Doug at Dividingcreekimports.com for the US import. No issues, and I got lucky with mine. I've been ripping it apart looking for hidden rust and problems and have yet to find anything to make me regret the purchase
Old January 2nd, 2011, 04:56 PM
jetmech
Dave McHenry
1984 Landrover 90 CSW

if you would like to see a stock 84 and a rebuilt to look simular to an NAS let me know I have one of each at the house.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 11:02 PM
grbec22
Roger Ramjet
1985 "90" no defender's back then.

Where did you source the roll cage for your '84 so it would look like a NAS?
Old January 2nd, 2011, 11:33 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by grbec22 View Post
Where did you source the roll cage for your '84 so it would look like a NAS?
ECR sells them. It is made by Safety Devices.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 12:10 AM
DieselDef
Brad Ingalls
1985 Defender

An outstanding source for good info having detailed instructions is lr4x4.com.; look in the archives. Also, landyzone.co.uk is a great source of info too.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
nas