School me on the 4.2L V8 - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 23rd, 2014, 10:23 PM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1997 P38 Vitesse

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by samer0214 View Post
Perhaps I'm chasing a unicorn, the idea is not to swap the 3.5 with anything, but rather improve on it. I've been reading up on the 215 Buick/Rover and see that it can be made to output up to 200HP easily, but that would still mean major machine shop work and upgrades including boring the block.

What I'm after, if possible (that's where the unicorn comes in!) is increasing horsepower and torque with some "minor" inexpensive mods. Mine is the low compression 3.5L model, so can the compression be safely increased for example by changing some parts, or would an intake manifold and carburator swap to an Edelbrock do the trick? Or perhaps something else?

Here is the intake: http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...erformer.shtml and the carb: http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...s/thunder.shtm
Anyone? Anyone?
Defenderless, for now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 23rd, 2014, 11:02 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Make sure its tuned properly do the cam upgrade if you feeling motivated add headers and a good exhaust.

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Old June 23rd, 2014, 11:47 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

The thought of a low maintenance, easy to service, adequately powerful 5.0 sounds really nice. My experience with 5.0 fords was painless.
Advertisement

Old June 27th, 2014, 06:43 PM
paul c
paul critcher
85 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by samer0214 View Post
Perhaps I'm chasing a unicorn, the idea is not to swap the 3.5 with anything, but rather improve on it. I've been reading up on the 215 Buick/Rover and see that it can be made to output up to 200HP easily, but that would still mean major machine shop work and upgrades including boring the block.

What I'm after, if possible (that's where the unicorn comes in!) is increasing horsepower and torque with some "minor" inexpensive mods. Mine is the low compression 3.5L model, so can the compression be safely increased for example by changing some parts, or would an intake manifold and carburator swap to an Edelbrock do the trick? Or perhaps something else?

Here is the intake: http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...erformer.shtml and the carb: http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...s/thunder.shtm
I would stick with factory carbs unless they are majorly worn out, in which case they should be rebuilt not swapped out, but probably a swap to ten bolt heads and a 3.9 or aftermarket cam would be the simplest mods. I am currently running a 3.9 with CD175 carbs as a replacement for the old 3.5LC but am building a 4.6 replacement, also to be twin carbed, might be SUs yet though.
Old February 16th, 2015, 02:39 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
I'm currently moving forward with a 4.2 swap into my 110. As Paul K said, if I was in a 90, I think I'd go with a 3.9 EFI top. But I have to imagine that going from a 3.5 to a 4.2 I will be able to see a difference. (Am I wrong?)

I don't need to hot-rod, I just don't want to be on the evening news for creating a traffic jam on the way over the mountains.

I love the 4.6 in my 2004 Disco, it has been trouble free. But I've heard almost nothing but trouble from any 4.6 blocks from earlier production. The 4.6 we had in the 2003 Disco literally exploded and left aluminum block shrapnel all over the road. I know of three other 4.6 owners who have had to rebuild or buy all new engines. And then there are all the stories from other places on the nets.

Anyway. I hope to cruise at 60 on my Spanish box. (Already can get there with ease, but cruise at 55.) And I hope to be able to hold 55 on the mountain without feeling like I should pull over and change the oil at the summit. As it is, I slow to 40-45 on the mountain pass that I go over 5-10 times a year.

If this does not work.... I'll have to go to a GM engine that will do what I need.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
v8