School me on the 4.2L V8 - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 19th, 2014, 02:17 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Crazy isn't it. I am of the mind set that people should be tested on a manual gearbox before getting their licenses. And it is the main reason I could care less about most new cars these days. I don't care how much more efficient the new autos gearboxes are. I like the manual for off road use better as well.
Used to be a different liscense in MA, one for auto and one for auto and manual transmission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 19th, 2014, 02:22 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

4.2 are fine, but they are not much better than a 3.9 IME. Note there are two 4.2 engines, the v belt 93-94 and the serp belt 95. You want the former for the easier swap.

Now LWBs have climbed in price and miles it is not as cheap of a swap as it used to be. For me, a 4.6 block (top hat liner if you have the money) with a crank spacer everything else 3.9 14cux is the ticket. 4.6 motors are getting really cheap used these days with the early p38a being scrapped.
Old June 19th, 2014, 03:21 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtomchik View Post
Used to be a different liscense in MA, one for auto and one for auto and manual transmission
No shit - I've had a MA license back in the 80's and didn't know there was a test for manual gearbox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 21st, 2014, 04:07 PM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1997 P38 Vitesse

Registry
I hope I am not high jacking this thread, but if I am please let me know.

So along the same lines, I have an'86 D110 with the 3.5L Carburators and over 150K miles on it. What would be the most economical "upgrade" that can be made in order to gain more horsepower and torque, without an engine swap to a 3.9 or 4.2?

Cam shafts? Crank & pistons? Better carbs? Fuel injection conversion?

Thank you.
Defenderless, for now!
Old June 21st, 2014, 04:53 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
FWIW, I was all ready to upgrade from a 3.5 low compression to a 4.2. But Doug Shipman talked me out of it, and into a slightly modded 3.9 instead. The hp & torque advantage of the 4.2 over the 3.9 is minimal, and parts for the 3.9 are much more readily available. Plus the 4.2's are getting rarer...

I was talked out of a 4.6 by several people, although I was never a big fan of that motor myself, having had two of them in the past ('00 Range Rover 4.6HSE & '04 Discovery 2 SE7) and had problems with both.

Hijazi: if your 3.5 is the low compression version like mine, I suggest an engine swap.

If it's RHD, you can put a 5.0 Ford V8 in there. Not sure I want to go that far...
Old June 21st, 2014, 04:56 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Gems 4.6(p38) are way better them the Bosch (d2's)4.6's in my opinion, we see also less issues with them! With that said to upgrade to a 4.2 is a waste of money over building a beefy 3.9.
Old June 21st, 2014, 06:43 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by samer0214 View Post
I hope I am not high jacking this thread, but if I am please let me know.

So along the same lines, I have an'86 D110 with the 3.5L Carburators and over 150K miles on it. What would be the most economical "upgrade" that can be made in order to gain more horsepower and torque, without an engine swap to a 3.9 or 4.2?

Cam shafts? Crank & pistons? Better carbs? Fuel injection conversion?

Thank you.
The most economical thing would probably be to buy a running RRC and take the motor and fuel injection out of it. I've had a lot of bad experiences with junkyard parts.
Old June 21st, 2014, 08:13 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewie212 View Post
Gems 4.6(p38) are way better them the Bosch (d2's)4.6's in my opinion, we see also less issues with them! With that said to upgrade to a 4.2 is a waste of money over building a beefy 3.9.
So what's the best way to build a beefy 3.9?
Old June 21st, 2014, 08:31 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Don't start with a land rover engine and don't start with a land rover as a vehicle.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old June 21st, 2014, 09:23 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Don't start with a land rover engine and don't start with a land rover as a vehicle.
nailed it!! Talk to jimmy or drew they are the experts! I just regurgitate what they say, cam to start
Old June 21st, 2014, 09:39 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
We are under the assumption that he doesn't want a crap vehicle. I heard you like Chevrolet?
Old June 22nd, 2014, 04:56 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
FWIW, The hp & torque advantage of the 4.2 over the 3.9 is minimal, and parts for the 3.9 are much more readily available. Plus the 4.2's are getting rarer...
The only parts that are different are the crank/rods/pistons. Since one typically needs a new engine if any of those need replacemnt. I don't get this statement @ all.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 22nd, 2014, 08:00 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
We are under the assumption that he doesn't want a crap vehicle. I heard you like Chevrolet?
I'm not a fan of anything that's been made in the US ... No offense but it's all low quality, cheaply built and poorly designed.

The Chevy volt is / was a decent looking car, Tesla looks like every other Korean large exec saloon but they have major design and execution flaws.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old June 22nd, 2014, 10:38 PM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1997 P38 Vitesse

Registry
Perhaps I'm chasing a unicorn, the idea is not to swap the 3.5 with anything, but rather improve on it. I've been reading up on the 215 Buick/Rover and see that it can be made to output up to 200HP easily, but that would still mean major machine shop work and upgrades including boring the block.

What I'm after, if possible (that's where the unicorn comes in!) is increasing horsepower and torque with some "minor" inexpensive mods. Mine is the low compression 3.5L model, so can the compression be safely increased for example by changing some parts, or would an intake manifold and carburator swap to an Edelbrock do the trick? Or perhaps something else?

Here is the intake: http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...erformer.shtml and the carb: http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...s/thunder.shtm
Defenderless, for now!
Old June 22nd, 2014, 10:54 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
FWIW, I was all ready to upgrade from a 3.5 low compression to a 4.2. But Doug Shipman talked me out of it, and into a slightly modded 3.9 instead. The hp & torque advantage of the 4.2 over the 3.9 is minimal, and parts for the 3.9 are much more readily available. Plus the 4.2's are getting rarer...

I was talked out of a 4.6 by several people, although I was never a big fan of that motor myself, having had two of them in the past ('00 Range Rover 4.6HSE & '04 Discovery 2 SE7) and had problems with both.

Hijazi: if your 3.5 is the low compression version like mine, I suggest an engine swap.

If it's RHD, you can put a 5.0 Ford V8 in there. Not sure I want to go that far...
I had the low compression 3.5, (really low like 0 on a few cylinders) I replaced it with a 3.9 with the 230 cam, edelbrock intake and holley 390 carb. It's got great power, and the 110 will scoot pretty damn good. Now I just need a transmission to replace the 4 speed LT95.

I would love to hear more about the 5.0 Ford conversion. (I have 5.0's laying around) I cut my teeth on that motor and it's always been one of my favorite motors. So got any links or info?

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old June 22nd, 2014, 11:05 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyRover View Post
I would love to hear more about the 5.0 Ford conversion. (I have 5.0's laying around) I cut my teeth on that motor and it's always been one of my favorite motors. So got any links or info?
There has been an ad in 'Land Rover Owner International' magazine for a 'coming soon, Ford 5.0 conversion' and ECR has done them, although it only works in RHD rigs (according to ECR). I'd get hold of them & see...
Old June 22nd, 2014, 11:08 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Mine is definitely RHD. I got pulled over in Ohio today. The cop thought the driver was texting and driving (my wife) was sitting up front on the left playing on her phone and he didn't realize I was driving on the right side

A kit from ECR would be way outside of my price range. I'll keep an eye on the magazine though, thanks for the tip.

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old June 22nd, 2014, 11:13 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Quote:
I'm not a fan of anything that's been made in the US ... No offense but it's all low quality, cheaply built and poorly designed. The Chevy volt is / was a decent looking car, Tesla looks like every other Korean large exec saloon but they have major design and execution flaws.

I hate to tell you this but British stuff isn't any better than us stuff... And that's the high end British stuff lol... It's not the fine engineering thar goes into a rover that causes this crazy infatuation....
Old June 22nd, 2014, 11:21 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Its a major anti theft device in the US ....
Not in Texas. The ones stealing cars here drive Chevy full size pickups with awful sounding V6 and manual trannies as their personal vehicles.
Old June 23rd, 2014, 01:45 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyRover View Post
Mine is definitely RHD. I got pulled over in Ohio today. The cop thought the driver was texting and driving (my wife) was sitting up front on the left playing on her phone and he didn't realize I was driving on the right side A kit from ECR would be way outside of my price range. I'll keep an eye on the magazine though, thanks for the tip.
You should have told the officer, your wife realized she was busted and gave you the wheel. Lol
A friend of mine did that in his Mercedes. He was a little intoxicated, and passenger said she would drive. So he pulled the steering wheel of and passed it to her. It was a very old car. The wheel probably was not on very good.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
v8