school me on some wiring - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 6th, 2009, 05:37 PM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

school me on some wiring

The PO had a rear work light installed with a bracket above the license plate. It looks exactly like the kit that RN sells. It is wired to a switch on the dash and only comes on when I put it on. I would like to wire it to 3 positions. Off, on with reverse, constant on. I have read the right ups that ECR has done and I know they do it this way. I don't know how to do it. I can't find a factory looking 3 position switch either. My automotive electrical skills are basic at best. Can I do it?? Thanks!
Advertisement

Old October 6th, 2009, 05:47 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Basically, you're looking for an either/or condition where the light is either off, or turned on by one of two circumstances (the switch or the reverse switch). Most likely, there is constant power to the light and your dash switch just supplies a ground path to turn the light on, so you just want to wire in your back-up light into this circuit (because your reverse light IIRC always has power and once again, the switch just supplies the ground). I couldn't possibly tell you what steps to take without sitting down with your wiring diagram and knowing how the work light is wired, but hopefully that explanation gives you the concept of what you are trying to do. Its actually pretty simple, but will probably be a fair amount of work running wire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old October 6th, 2009, 06:16 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

There is a thread somewhere, in this forum i think, with
a pic of the diagram to achieve that, or maybe it's in the
tech section, i don't remenber where i've seen it.
Try the search function.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 7th, 2009, 03:11 PM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

I don't mind running wires and the like if I know what the hell I'm doing.
I searched and read several threads but they're more conceptual than actual write ups or directions. Maybe someone who has done this could better define the concept for me???
Old October 7th, 2009, 03:38 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

You'll need a 3 position switch and a relay.
We use the NAS 110 interior lamp switch as it fits and has what is needed. You can get the wiring side of that switch from British Wiring in PA.
To the switch you run a signal from the rev light circuit, and one from a power source. The output of the switch goes to the trigger on the relay.
The output of the relay goes to the lamp.
Once you put it all together and wire the relay you can turn the lamp ON manually, OFF all the time or ON with the Reverse lights.
Hope that helps.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
wiring