School Me on Remote Reservoir Shocks - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 19th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
School Me on Remote Reservoir Shocks

So I keep burning up shocks and am now ready to step up to some remote reservoir shocks. I've run OME, ProComp (garbage, duh), and Terrafirma Big Bore "Expeditition", but they can't keep up with my heavy truck, ie, they fade pretty fast.

I have a 110 with exo cage, a ton of armor, and carry about 500lbs in the back easy. I want a stiff shock that will keep my truck vertical with minimal bounce, yet still be able to stuff a tire when needed.

What I don't understand is the valving and fade numbers. I'm looking to spend about $200/shock and mounting style is not an issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 19th, 2011, 12:28 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Get a bigger checkbook. $200 a corner will not get you there.
Old November 19th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman
Get a bigger checkbook. $200 a corner will not get you there.
Nah, there are tons of entry level options at the $200 mark, hence my question.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 19th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

I loved the fox 2.0 emulsions on my last disco. Rebuilding them was $ but they were outstanding on a very top heavy truck with a lot of lift and a 3 link. Lots of articulation and with the right valving they were Very stable.
Old November 19th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Oxcart13
Mark M
D110

X2 on emulsions. Weigh your truck, and have valved appropriately. I used offroadwharehiuse.com; 1st re-valve free.
Old November 19th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

I used http://downsouthmotorsports.com/ who builds them for Rovertym. Guy's name is Sunny, did a great job, even built up custom ends for the shocks to get the fit perfect.
Old November 19th, 2011, 02:27 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Nah, there are tons of entry level options at the $200 mark, hence my question.
That's part of your problem. An entry level shock is not going to satisfy you. You should have learned that already when you bought the Procomps and the Terrafirma's.

Sure, you can buy the 7100's, or something similar, for around $200.00. Lets take the 7100's for example because those are the ones I like. You can find these shocks for $188.00ea, give or take a few bucks. You'll probably want something around the 400/100 range for your 110 and the 7100's can accommodate that. But the 7100's come with heims. Heim joints on a shock that sees daily, or even weekly use, sucks. They'll start to clatter after about 3 or 4,000 miles. It's annoying. So if you went with a $190 7100, you'll quickly drop an additional $30 per shock to get the rubber bushings so you don't have to hear that clatter. Now you're over $200 a corner.

Now you say you carry 500lbs of weight in your truck. I guess you carry a spare truck with you or something. I don't know. 500lbs on a normal day-to-day basis is a lot. But what ever. If you're carrying that much weight, you can use a $50 shock or a $1,200 shock, it's not going to matter. You'll never be happy. Seems you have two options, 1) air shocks; or 2) something like a joust stick or lighting stick. Both cost a few bucks.
Old November 19th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman

That's part of your problem. An entry level shock is not going to satisfy you. You should have learned that already when you bought the Procomps and the Terrafirma's.

Sure, you can buy the 7100's, or something similar, for around $200.00. Lets take the 7100's for example because those are the ones I like. You can find these shocks for $188.00ea, give or take a few bucks. You'll probably want something around the 400/100 range for your 110 and the 7100's can accommodate that. But the 7100's come with heims. Heim joints on a shock that sees daily, or even weekly use, sucks. They'll start to clatter after about 3 or 4,000 miles. It's annoying. So if you went with a $190 7100, you'll quickly drop an additional $30 per shock to get the rubber bushings so you don't have to hear that clatter. Now you're over $200 a corner.

Now you say you carry 500lbs of weight in your truck. I guess you carry a spare truck with you or something. I don't know. 500lbs on a normal day-to-day basis is a lot. But what ever. If you're carrying that much weight, you can use a $50 shock or a $1,200 shock, it's not going to matter. You'll never be happy. Seems you have two options, 1) air shocks; or 2) something like a joust stick or lighting stick. Both cost a few bucks.
Its not a daily driver, it's a wheeling/expedition rig, so I don't really care about highway ride. I'm lucky if my truck sees 4000 miles a year. Between camping gear, cooler, food, tools, and spare parts, I easily have 500lbs in the back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2765411405.png
Views:	462
Size:	918.3 KB
ID:	43813  

Semper Fi!
Old November 19th, 2011, 03:13 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Then why change from the procomps?

Justify it how ever you wish, but I think you'll find out it's not worth it to be cheap. It's like buying the wax paper the Dollar Stores sells, sometimes it's worth spending 50% more to avoid frustration.
Old November 19th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Dude, you just said the 7100s were good at $188, plus $30 for bushings. Not sure how I am cheeping out at $200 a shock. The Terrafirmas are a decent shock, they jus can't handle my setup in the rear.

Semper Fi!
Old November 19th, 2011, 03:40 PM
T1G UP
marcus
Puma 110 xs. Td5 110 xs for sale

Twin rear shocks? http://www.island-4x4.co.uk/rear-twi...13-p-2295.html

Can't see how your 110's any different than many expedition spec 110's
Old November 19th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by T1G UP
Twin rear shocks? http://www.island-4x4.co.uk/rear-twi...13-p-2295.html

Can't see how your 110's any different than many expedition spec 110's
It not different from other expo rigs, other than shite shocks. I'm pretty much convinced on the adjustable Fox's at $280 a piece: http://www.offroadwarehouse.com/prod...roductID/40573

Semper Fi!
Old November 19th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
So are reservoir shocks the way to go? What's the gold standard on shocks?
NAS 1993 D110 CDN #11/25
1997 D90 ST #1953
2006 Range Rover
1997 D90 SW #701 (sold)
1995 D90 ST (sold)
Old November 19th, 2011, 05:05 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

There is also that bilstein model with the external res. No clue how they perform but I know Ze has them on his 110. Same cage, full rack and I know he keeps the truck loaded up. Maybe he will chime in.
Old November 19th, 2011, 07:11 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Dude, you just said the 7100s were good at $188, plus $30 for bushings. Not sure how I am cheeping out at $200 a shock. The Terrafirmas are a decent shock, they jus can't handle my setup in the rear.
Do you comprehend what you read?

Yes, I said the 7100's are a good shock. There are better shocks than the 7100's. But the 7100's are good. Most people who have 7100's don't even need them. You probably fit into the most people category. But that's a mute point right now.

You claimed you did not like the OME shocks. Why? Were they too bouncy? Did you buy them used and wore out? The reason I ask is because a lot of people have great success with OME shocks. Where the standard OME shocks leave some to be desired for is on washboard roads. With a heavy load the OME's will start to fade after a few miles of rough road at speed. There is not a lot of rough washboard road on the east coast, but maybe you found it.

I think the problem you're having has nothing to do with shitty made in China shocks, and has everything to do with your set-up. The D-110 has a big ass and a lot of cargo room. 500lbs is a pretty good amount of weight, but certainly not more than the D-110 can handle. How you distribute that weight may be part of the problem. If 300lbs of that 500lbs is sitting behind the rear axle, this may be were you want to start to correct your problem. I have a feeling you're not experiencing shock fade, rather you're just getting bouncy or may even be bottoming out on your bump-stops. A stiffer shock may help your issues, but it's not going to cure your issues. Going to a remote reservoir shock alone is not going to help you, either.

A remote reservoir shock will help on the washboard roads and reduce fade or foaming. If they're pumped up enough, they may handle heavy load a little bit better. But once that heavy load is removed, you're left with a more rigid ride.

Like I said before, we don't have a lot of washboard roads on the east coast that you can travel with any speed. So what's the point of going to a remote reservoir shock? You can get a stiff shock without the remote reservoir and save a lot of cash. But those are not as cool to look at.....

If you're going to haul that much shit, you need to look at something like this. There are several brands; some are hydrolic, some are air, are are nitro... Does not matter, this is the type set-up you need to look at. These will not only help handle heavy loads, but they'll help control bouncing and bottoming out. They'll also help in off-camber situations.

Now, I have heard from more than one person that the racks you build are heavy as fuck. Too heavy. So this may be something you need to address if you're using your homemade racks. If you've got a pile of heavy weight up on your roof of course your truck is going to lean and rock. The answer to that problem lies in a wooden create at ECR. Shocks are not going to fix it.
Old November 19th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Thanks Dan.

Not sure who you talked to. I've never built a cage for a Rover and I have a SD cage on my 110.

Back on topic, I'd be interested in any ones experience with remote reservoir shocks and valving.

Semper Fi!
Old November 19th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
I have TF Remote and I think they are all that and a bag of chips for the category and price.

I think the valving on your shocks will be the key no matter what shock you use

NOW J, if your truck is purely an Expedition / Trail dedicated truck why in life did you install the dislocating swaybar?
Old November 19th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier
NOW J, if your truck is purely an Expedition / Trail dedicated truck why in life did you install the dislocating swaybar?
Because the truck still goes 70mph on the highway and the RTT on top on road above 30mph is downright scary.

Semper Fi!
Old November 19th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Lmao...
Old November 19th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
finding the right shock for a 110 with 5 inch springs for on road /off road use should be interesting. What did the manufacturer of those 5 inch springs recomend ? Any idea what your spring rates are front and rear ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
remote