School Me on Remote Reservoir Shocks - Page 5 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 21st, 2011, 12:11 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

For what it is worth I run a fairly heavy RRC with a 5 inch lift and 35's as well as rather heavy Stazworks beadlocks. Not a 110 but still fairly hefty (5100lbs) Single shocks (Bilstien 7100's) did not cut it. I doubled them up and it was very much better. I backed of on the damping a little on both so they weren't working as hard. Also have run double Fox 2.0's. All four corners. I think I'm going to 2.5inch shocks next time.
Also the 7100's have had several catastrophic failures and suck to rebuild.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 21st, 2011, 12:39 PM
Hammertime
Dana Hammersley
1997 Arles Blue #162

Hey Jonathon run that thing across a scale, curious what that would weigh? I took the 90 across a while back and weighed in at 5200 lbs.
Old November 21st, 2011, 01:27 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

5200 pounds??? What in the world are you guys carrying? When I moved to Colorado, I loaded all kinds of shit into my truck that I didn't want the movers to carry. It was loaded to the brim with heavy Pelicans, all of my tools, etc. It was the most shit I've ever hauled in my truck and even then it weighed less than 4900 on the scales. I can't imagine what you guys must be hauling. 60 pound tents must be just the beginning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 21st, 2011, 02:41 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
My rrc is 4860 that was before bumper and winch. 5100 doesn't seem to unreasonable for a 110
Old November 21st, 2011, 03:57 PM
Hammertime
Dana Hammersley
1997 Arles Blue #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
5200 pounds??? What in the world are you guys carrying? When I moved to Colorado, I loaded all kinds of shit into my truck that I didn't want the movers to carry. It was loaded to the brim with heavy Pelicans, all of my tools, etc. It was the most shit I've ever hauled in my truck and even then it weighed less than 4900 on the scales. I can't imagine what you guys must be hauling. 60 pound tents must be just the beginning.
Well to start with Warn 8274 with custom heavy duty bumper, tree sliders, Brown Church roof rack, 60" Highlift jack, 3 10x30 tool boxes, 2 Optima batteries, 15 lb CO2 tank,Fire exstinguiser, Chain saw, ax, 6 clevis, 2 snatch blocks, 50' of 1" dock line,heavy duty rope snatch block, 50' of 1/2" winch line extension, Plus extra Alt, water pump, MAF, Starter, Stub axle, bearings, then full set of metric 3/8" and 1/2" sockets and rachet wrenchs. I am sure the is a few things I let out. lol
Old November 21st, 2011, 04:03 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammertime View Post
Well to start with Warn 8274 with custom heavy duty bumper, tree sliders, Brown Church roof rack, 60" Highlift jack, 3 10x30 tool boxes, 2 Optima batteries, 15 lb CO2 tank,Fire exstinguiser, Chain saw, ax, 6 clevis, 2 snatch blocks, 50' of 1" dock line,heavy duty rope snatch block, 50' of 1/2" winch line extension, Plus extra Alt, water pump, MAF, Starter, Stub axle, bearings, then full set of metric 3/8" and 1/2" sockets and rachet wrenchs. I am sure the is a few things I let out. lol
What's the weight savings without a rear window?
Old November 21st, 2011, 04:13 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho

What's the weight savings without a rear window?
Aw snap!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old November 21st, 2011, 07:26 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
5000 lb is not anywhere near heavy for a 110.... My 90 runs that no problem when loaded for a weekend trip.
Old November 21st, 2011, 08:59 PM
Hammertime
Dana Hammersley
1997 Arles Blue #162

That is a 90 at 5200 minus camping gear and cooler.
Old November 21st, 2011, 09:59 PM
Oliver Whiting
Oliver Whiting
84 110, 94 NAS90,Bunch of EX-mods

Shocks

I've got some 53 mm bore Tough Dogs listed on the website that will stop the bounce in that 110. I run Tough Dog 9 stage adjustable shocks on my 110 so I can flip from super soft, or ride like a brick when I am loaded and I pull an 18 foot car hauler with my 110 and these shocks work. I also wheel it pretty hard almost every single weekend from Colorado to Moab to the Rubicon in Cali.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 12:14 AM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11 View Post
For what it is worth I run a fairly heavy RRC with a 5 inch lift and 35's as well as rather heavy Stazworks beadlocks. Not a 110 but still fairly hefty (5100lbs) Single shocks (Bilstien 7100's) did not cut it. I doubled them up and it was very much better. I backed of on the damping a little on both so they weren't working as hard. Also have run double Fox 2.0's. All four corners. I think I'm going to 2.5inch shocks next time.
Also the 7100's have had several catastrophic failures and suck to rebuild.

What kind of catastrophic failures did you have? And you doubled them up on a 5100 pound rig. Im supprised to here you had catastrophic failures, unless it was due to over extension or compression. I ran these shocks in the Austrailain Outback Challenge as well as the Malaysia Rainforest Challenge and work the crap out of them in the SSs and never had an issue. But I keep forgetting that some of us could break an anvil with a brass hammer.
My rig weighed in at 5200#s and left the ground at speed several times in the events and never once had a shock fail. Proper bump stops and limiting straps will do the trick.

Cheers Ed
Old November 22nd, 2011, 06:37 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

I'd suppose in hindsight some of it could be age related as well as harsh conditions (cold) but I've had fluid loss from seal failure as well as the bottom cap coming loose a couple of times. The 7100s also corrode like no other shock I have owned. They were well bump stopped and limited. I did run them hard and we have ( and I'm sure Dan will argue the point) some really nasty washboard in northern New England. I could overheat the single shocks in the rear. I did not have any issues after running them doubled (other than the rust). The truck is getting rebuilt soon and will have 2.5" Fox shocks. The 7100's are beyond the point of saving but to their credit I think it took 5yrs to completely wreck them. As for the brass hammers and anvils thing.......I would consider myself one of those that generally doesn't break things. I have run the same basic truck for over 15yrs and over 500k miles and had very few failures of any kind.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old November 22nd, 2011, 11:42 AM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

I gotta say I think Ed might be on the right track. I was just thinking the other day when I read this I wonder if you are bottoming out the shock. What type of rear suspension do you have? Do you have spring retainers, cones etc...? If you have swaybar disconnects which I know you do then is your shock the limiting factor? I ran Fox 2.0 remote res shocks on my 90 for years with the proper bumpstops and a limiting strap on the axle to allow for as much droop as possible as well as up travel without the shock either bottoming out or being stretched. They worked fine no issues.

I am now almost done converting that 90 to a 110 and am planning on running the same shocks but with possible different valving. I also was told by FOX when I asked them if I could just remove the reservoirs and run the shocks as emulsion that it would be better to keep the reservoirs as they are overall better. Not sure why.
Old January 2nd, 2012, 02:17 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
As I start to close the loop on this thread, I ended up getting Fox 2.0 Remote Reservoir shocks. All 4 came in about $180 per corner. I fabricated custom upper rear mounts to raise the shock mount up a good 10", and in the front I installed some RTE adjustable height towers.

I still need to build some longer bump stops, but the shocks definitely have fixed the issue. The old shocks were beyond thrashed and were not providing any dampening.

Semper Fi!
Old January 2nd, 2012, 03:26 PM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.
1995 D90 SW #314, 59 SII 88 HT

So what valving did you end up with and how does it feel?
Old January 4th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Pierce View Post
So what valving did you end up with and how does it feel?
85/90 in front, 95/100 in the rear. As best I can tell urban crawling, I get a nice soft bounce initially, then the shocks dampens things. I have yet to drive the truck at speed around corners or off road just yet. I still need to swap out the front springs for the correct ones. Keeping my fingers crossed....

Semper Fi!
Old January 4th, 2012, 09:25 AM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.
1995 D90 SW #314, 59 SII 88 HT

Great! That's good to know. Keep us posted after you wheel it.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 09:32 PM
myoverlandrover
josh

Love to hear how the 2.0's worked for you?
Old July 4th, 2013, 02:15 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoverlandrover View Post
Love to hear how the 2.0's worked for you?
Awesome, although I should have gone with 12" shocks over the 14"s.

Semper Fi!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
remote