School Me on Remote Reservoir Shocks - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 20th, 2011, 04:08 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
For fuck sakes Dan, you're like herpes, you just won't go away.

Why I need shocks does not concern you, I don't care about your input, just go away. All you care about is attacking others and being a Fuckstain.

All I asked for was remote reservoir shock advice about valving, etc and now we are talking about washboard roads....
How the fuck am I attacking you? I told you exactly what you need to know, but somehow I'm an asshole.

Look, dipshit, you don't need fucking remote reservoir shocks. Get it? Putting bling shocks on your truck would be like installing mud tires on a Honda mini-van. The only reason you even what to put remote reservoirs on your shitty truck is because you can. They're not going to help you. They are not what you need. You would be wasting your fucking money. You would still look like a dipshit just like all the others who do this.

The reason we got on to the subject about washboard roads is because that's where remote reservoirs shine. Washboard roads is where the justification is made. If you were wheeling in Utah, yes, you could probably benefit from remote reservoir shocks. But you're not; you're wheeling in Pennsyltucky at a fucking off-road park. Just because Dana has found one washboard road in Florida does not make your case.

You are the King cheapfuck of this sight. Even though there is a pile of threads on here talking about the procomp shocks, you bought them anyway. You knew what you were doing. No one could tell you differently. The Wolf knows what's up.

Then you let Justin sell you some shitty shocks. Justin should know better and I hope he's learning from selling shitty equipment. Believe me, Justin and I talk damn near daily and I tell him this every fucking time. Despite all that, for a second time, you bought shitty shocks. Again, The Wolf knows what's best.

So here you are again about to fuck up a third time. But The Wolf knows best. The Wolf thinks remote reservoir shocks are going to cure his problems. Little does The Wolf know he's a fucking idiot.

If you don't want to listen to anyone, why even post? Because you can.......

Did you go to Penn State?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 20th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Fuckstain, Go away. Justin has never sold me shocks by the way. You keep making shit up to try and make a point, but it just makes you look like an idiot.

You are the joke around the campfire and no one wants you on the forum. Just save some face and go away....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old November 20th, 2011, 04:50 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Lol. The forums are my world. I can't live without them.

Tell me who says what around the camp fire. Come on. I call bullshit.

Did you go to Penn State?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 20th, 2011, 05:24 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Ban Dan
Old November 20th, 2011, 05:30 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
Ban Dan
T-shirts! Get your t-shirts! Limited supply, get em while they're hot!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D-90 Tee Photo (Medium).jpg
Views:	73
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	43867  
Old November 20th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
For fuck sakes can we please talk about remote reservoir shocks, regardless of misperceptions of use and washboard roads????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old November 20th, 2011, 06:00 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

You don't need them. No use in talking about them any longer. Can't you figure that out? No one can offer you any advice because there is no advice to give under your circumstance.
Old November 20th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Go away Fuckstain.

For anyone besides Fuckstain, I've run OME, ProComp, and Terrafirma shocks on my truck, all have failed to keep up. I'm open to suggestions from anyone besides Fuckstain. My biggest issue is that the shocks heat up and fade, especially is situations where the truck is subjected to quick up and down movements, so looking at more cooling and fluid, most likely a remote reservoir or a dual setup. Interested to hear what others are using, besides Fuckstain.

Semper Fi!
Old November 20th, 2011, 06:31 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Quote:
For fuck sakes can we please talk about remote reservoir shocks, regardless of misperceptions of use and washboard roads????
I don't understand why you think washboard roads are irrelevant. You obviously know what a shock does (I think)... A remote reservoir helps keep your shocks from fading due to heat... The only time you'd really need that is during sustained higher speeds on a washboard road....

I'll probably regret saying something here...
Old November 20th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
It's because somehow Hammertime and Fuckstain went down some rabbit hole about who has the coolest washboard roads.

Yes, technically they are relevant when talking shocks, but irrelevant in Fuckstains high school pissing match.

No worries, at least you have tact and something to add.

Semper Fi!
Old November 20th, 2011, 06:48 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Whether you really need it or have to have it, is irrelevant. If you want it, get them. It would seem to reason, that if you are carrying heavy loads, and wheeling pretty hard, and your current shocks are failing prematurely, why not try a remote reservoir shock.

I would stick with the tried and true brands, like Bilstein or Fox.

Old November 20th, 2011, 07:04 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
It would seem to reason, that if you are carrying heavy loads, and wheeling pretty hard, and your current shocks are failing prematurely, why not try a remote reservoir shock.
Obviously he's giving the shocks a work out if they're really getting hot. I don't really understand why he has these issues and others don't, but if he's saying they're getting hot, okay, maybe they are.

But why are the shocks getting such a workout? That's where the problem needs to be addressed. It could be that his springs are the issue. I don't know. I don't know anything about the brand he's using. But obviously the springs need a bit of help. Shocks will help to some degree. But the ultimate cure is going to be taking some of the workload off the springs and shocks to keep things less bouncy and allow the shocks to remain cool. Air bump stops will do that. They help the spring and they help the shock. He'll probably still need some better shocks, but shocks alone are not going to fix his issues.
Old November 20th, 2011, 07:28 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I said this once and I'll say it again. If OME LTRs are not doing it for you, the problem is not the shock.
Old November 20th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Are the mods on vacation or has this become Pirate version 2?
Old November 20th, 2011, 08:16 PM
gchinsr
Greg Chin Sr
1996 Discovery 5 Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellulararrest View Post
I don't understand why you think washboard roads are irrelevant. You obviously know what a shock does (I think)... A remote reservoir helps keep your shocks from fading due to heat... The only time you'd really need that is during sustained higher speeds on a washboard road....

I'll probably regret saying something here...
Wash board is one of the best examples for using a remote res set up. When we drive on regular roads, our shocks dont travel through the range of the shock, therefore the fluid will not create as much heat, or gas build up, causing loss of viscosity. When you drive the wash board, or any type of road where the shock cycles are increased, then the remote extra capacity, transfers fluid between the bodies reducing gas build up, and maintains a lower fluid temp. But remote shocks will not fix the problem, as the main function of the shock is to exert force on the suspension to force the wheel to maintain contact with the ground. It is the 5" lift that is actually causing most of the problem. Think of it this way. Get a shirt hanger from the cleaners, and cut the bottom section off. Put a marshmallow 2" from the end, and grab it 6" from the other end. If you move it up and down, this is the same as a coil spring. Now add another marshmallow to for the increased weight of the tire, and spacer over stock, and grab it from the end, to simulate longer travel springs. Now shake it again, and this is mainly the problem you are having. This increase of movement effects the shock, as it will travel its length more than a stock set up would, raising temps, and increasing gas build up. The other half of the problem, is simply the increased weight of the larger tire, and the spacer, and the increase of length from the spacer. Now the shock is trying to compensate for the lack of spring, and fighting the forces of increased weight, and length. So now the worst possible forces are over working the shock, from 3 fronts, insufficient spring capacity, increase of weight, and travel. Then the other issue is weight distribution. You add 500lbs for a trip, and whatever you add on top of your storage, is behind the axle center line. Looking at your build thread, you have added about 300lbs with your storage box, and what you have on the rear door. What is behind the car weight wise, is creating a pendulum effect from the weight mass moved 3" with the tire, and the fuel and water up so high. That means there is almost no weight in the middle where the 2nd row sits, and the front armor and winch, counter act the weight hanging off the back, like a see saw. Only this is magnified by weak springs, causing the truck to sway further in each direction, needing more than 1 cycle to stop the motion, and this what you are feeling. Going back to that hanger, which is like a torsion spring, replacing the coil for this example, there is only 2 things to correct the problem. Option 1, which wont likely occur, would be replacing the suspension close to stock, with a 32" tire, but loosing the long travel you want. Option 2, increase your spring rates a lot for your truck, to compensate for your mods, so your shocks wont be as stressed like the current set up. Once you stop the up and down with a thicker hanger, the shock function is to force it down after unloading. I would think the Land Rover double rear shock set up(Vee Configuration) would be fine as it takes about half of the stress from each shock. Unfortunately, adding 5" of travel wanting big travel, having all your weight behind the axle CL, and level handling dont come in any set up I could think of. That is from my experience with the remote set up at least.
Old November 20th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Thanks, good stuff. The problem is that no one makes 5" 110 rear springs anymore. I'd have to find a good 3" spring and run spacers, or have custom springs made as the 35s are staying on the truck. I'm am more than happy with the springs as they sit, and they have been great with shocks initially, even the Terrafirmas, but the shocks lasted about 18 months. The OMEs I had came on the truck and could have been trashed too.

If Baja trucks and rock crawlers can do it with remotes, why can't a 110?

Semper Fi!
Old November 20th, 2011, 08:40 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:

If Baja trucks and rock crawlers can do it with remotes, why can't a 110?
LMFAO!!! Did you really just ask that? Seriously?

Yeah, baja trucks and rock crawlers are almost the same as your heavy ass 110. Almost.
Old November 20th, 2011, 08:46 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Kings brah
Old November 20th, 2011, 09:03 PM
gchinsr
Greg Chin Sr
1996 Discovery 5 Speed

Your forces needed are not balanced was my point. Suspension geometry, and physics determine how the truck acts, and reacts to every motion cycle. Just adding new shocks wont change much, and physics wont bend the rules for you. Your increased weight and length of the suspension mean you are limited in how much you can adjust the valving. You have no lee way as you are past the limits already, and too far one way or the other, will just cause another problem somewhere else. It may feel a little better in your when you install them, but you can add force on one front, and expect to fix everything. If you get a remote res set up, they will fail, just a bit longer than a standard shock, then you will be rebuilding them a lot. You would need such a strong increase of pressure to make a difference, but you will lose the ability to keep the wheel down on the road, and will most likely bounce when hitting a bump. That is the most unsafe mod you could make, and will likely get you into an accident on the road. This really seems like you already decided to buy them, and just wanted is to discuss remote shocks.
Old November 20th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman

LMFAO!!! Did you really just ask that? Seriously?

Yeah, baja trucks and rock crawlers are almost the same as your heavy ass 110. Almost.
It was a joke Fuckstain. Go away.

Semper Fi!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
remote