school me on increasing amps on alternator - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 29th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Ordered.

What type of circuit breakers or fuses would you recommend? They mention 300A ANL fuses in that other thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 29th, 2011, 01:24 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Ur, don't go doing anything like the Jeep guy did. First of all his biggest mistake is burying all the battery controls and components under the rear floor so that if he ever needs to get to them he's gotta un ass everything in the back of the vehicle. You don't want to be doing that in the dark, the rain, snow and/or the mud.
Second he has 300A breakers in line with his batteries. Never fuse a main cable like that unless you love to trip breakers. He mistakenly believes that all the electrons he'll ever use from the battery must flow thru those single large cables. Pah! Yes large cables going to large draws like the starter (which you never ever fuse the hot feed) or the winch (NOW you may want a big breaker there ). For everything else there is the good old bus bar and the fuse panel. Run 6 or 8G wire to a bus bar or fuse panel direct from the "house" battery post.
Try not to make a mare's nest of wires coming from the battery. In this case less is more. If you want a gazillion circuits from the aux battery, run one big fat wire to a big bus bar and then break out more bus bars from there.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old November 29th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Extra demand does not equate to the desire for isolation.

Running items with the engine off to protect the battery used for starting or protection from accidental discharge is a reason for isolation. If it is just extra load, they can be run without isolation.
Well, there are several schools of thought.
Don't isolate at all.
Isolate Completely.
Isolate when the engine isn't running.
Isolate "most" of the time.

I don't think there is any one right answer, it all depends on an individual's needs.

I usually do the last one so there's never a chance of inadvertently discharging the starting battery with heavy loads, like winching. However, I allow myself the option of connecting the starting battery to the auxiliary battery for those times when I need just a little more oomph for a short period of time and the risk to the starting battery is low.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 29th, 2011, 02:28 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
As I mentioned, good batteries are HEAVY. My AGM 31's weigh like 70 pounds each.
Here is some light reading about AGM and gel batteries that will have you all warm and fuzzy inside

1968 2A 88

Old November 29th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Don't intend to. I want to keep this set up as simple as possible. I'm in the isolate most of the time camp. I just need some guidance as far as what additional items (fuses, etc) I need in addition to the ACR and the batteries. I have a painless accessory fuse panel that I will hook up to the accessory battery. Do I need anything in addition to that, and if so what would you recommend? You mention a bus bar. What does the bus bar do and is there a particular one you would recommend? I'm a total newbie doing this for the very first time so keep that in mind as you explain.

The winch I have draws 420 Amps at max pull (9000lbs). If I just connect the winch to the accessory battery I don't have to worry about load, right? If I chose to combine the batteries while winching that would load the ACR, right, so is there any additional considerations that needs to be made in this scenario? I want to keep it as simple AND as safe as possible. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea
Ur, don't go doing anything like the Jeep guy did. First of all his biggest mistake is burying all the battery controls and components under the rear floor so that if he ever needs to get to them he's gotta un ass everything in the back of the vehicle. You don't want to be doing that in the dark, the rain, snow and/or the mud.
Second he has 300A breakers in line with his batteries. Never fuse a main cable like that unless you love to trip breakers. He mistakenly believes that all the electrons he'll ever use from the battery must flow thru those single large cables. Pah! Yes large cables going to large draws like the starter (which you never ever fuse the hot feed) or the winch (NOW you may want a big breaker there ). For everything else there is the good old bus bar and the fuse panel. Run 6 or 8G wire to a bus bar or fuse panel direct from the "house" battery post.
Try not to make a mare's nest of wires coming from the battery. In this case less is more. If you want a gazillion circuits from the aux battery, run one big fat wire to a big bus bar and then break out more bus bars from there.
Old November 29th, 2011, 07:57 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
Don't intend to. I want to keep this set up as simple as possible. I'm in the isolate most of the time camp. I just need some guidance as far as what additional items (fuses, etc) I need in addition to the ACR and the batteries. I have a painless accessory fuse panel that I will hook up to the accessory battery. Do I need anything in addition to that, and if so what would you recommend?
That's prolly all you need, although I am not much of a fan of Painless products.

Quote:
You mention a bus bar. What does the bus bar do and is there a particular one you would recommend? I'm a total newbie doing this for the very first time so keep that in mind as you explain.
See pic. Genuinedealz has several styles.

Quote:
The winch I have draws 420 Amps at max pull (9000lbs). If I just connect the winch to the accessory battery I don't have to worry about load, right? If I chose to combine the batteries while winching that would load the ACR, right, so is there any additional considerations that needs to be made in this scenario? I want to keep it as simple AND as safe as possible. Thanks!
Right. Emergency parallel cable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ebb2_10.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	44273  

1968 2A 88

Old November 29th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

So what's the point of that bar? No need for parallel cable as the ACR will have a built in combine function/set up.
Old November 30th, 2011, 06:02 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Bus bar for branching circuits. Can be used for either pos feeds or grounds.

1968 2A 88

Old December 12th, 2011, 12:29 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Bill,

I did my own wiring diagram based on the instructions from the BSS ACR that I received recently. Does this look right to you? Anything you would change/add?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2011-12-11 at 9.18.25 PM.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	44625  
Old December 12th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
You need to make sure the alternator sense wire and the alternator power wires go to the same battery. In your drawing, I do not believe that is the case. When isolated the alternator charging circuit will go out of control.
Old December 12th, 2011, 11:01 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Red, I wish you would read about and understand how stuff works before popping off with such misinformation.

As to the diagram, it looks good to me. Blue Sea doesn't really give any guidance regarding which battery to send the alternator charge current to, but since the start battery seems to be the more critical in your case, I guess you're OK having it be #1.
Only caveat is that it must be at full charge before it will send any current to the #2 battery, so keeping a good eye on battery condition will be a concern over the life of battery #1.

If you feel the need for more advanced battery monitoring and management, look at the BSS #8248 which provides all the information you need about your 12V system. They are effin 'spensive, but worth the price if you worry about such things.

1968 2A 88

Old December 13th, 2011, 01:02 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I just got a reply from a BSS engineer. My diagram is wrong in that the SI (starting Isolation) wire goes to the ignition switch, not the alternator as seen in the brown dotted line on this diagram. So I think you were right about that, John, if by alternator sense wire you meant SI wire. I'm sticking with the 7622 model and I will post pictures once installed. Thanks fellas!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2011-12-12 at 9.53.57 PM.png
Views:	57
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	44669  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
alternator