School me on gas cans? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 21st, 2015, 02:16 PM
vasily
Vasily
97 D90 SW

Registry
School me on gas cans?

I have been looking around and I see a lot of opinions but nothing definitive and nothing in one place...

So can someone educate me on jerry cans? Seems like there are metal NATO cans, Plastic jerry cans, plastic no name gas cans from home depot...

Some aren't legal in the US, and some aren't legal in the PRK.

Does any of this actually matter? I realize metal cans are prone to rust.

then there is the price gap between, say what you find in a hardware store and the rotopax...

Just trying to get it all sorted out without buying twice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 21st, 2015, 02:29 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
So start with this question; what's the intended application? You crossing the Sahara as part of the LRDG? (Use captured German Jerry Cans) or looking to store some chainsaw fuel internally (Use rotopax).

Intended purpose should drive acquisition, but by and large you can't got wrong with Milspec Scepter fuel containers for larger quantities designed to extend range or if for smaller applications, unique mounting, etc Rotopax are worth the cost.

That's without diving into the CARB spout nonsense and such.
r-
Ray
Old July 21st, 2015, 02:35 PM
vasily
Vasily
97 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G View Post
So start with this question; what's the intended application? You crossing the Sahara as part of the LRDG? (Use captured German Jerry Cans) or looking to store some chainsaw fuel internally (Use rotopax).

Intended purpose should drive acquisition, but by and large you can't got wrong with Milspec Scepter fuel containers for larger quantities designed to extend range or if for smaller applications, unique mounting, etc Rotopax are worth the cost.

r-
Ray

Thanks Ray.

This would be to extend range when in national forests and parks... Not because gass stations are out of reach but because it's a pain to go into town to fuel up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 21st, 2015, 02:42 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
If you are looking for range you want the 5 gal size, perhaps a few of them while acknowledging that you probably don't want them inside your SW so you should look to mount them on the rear (also adding weight) or the roof (weight, and the awesomeness of hoisting fuel overhead). Personal opinion and experience there lends to the Scepter stuff, others may chime in but I figure if its good enough for my HMMWV and LAVs it is probably good enough for what we do for fun. Not to mention they don't rust.

Metal cans are a wide spectrum of quality and I don't know enough there other than my last one was good for putting gas in the lawn mower.

Based off where you mount you may want to also consider fuel transfer, i.e. do you source a spout (CARB legal ironically= makes sure you spill) or find a fuel transfer pump solution like the flo and go.

Hope that helps a little.
r-
Ray
Old July 21st, 2015, 03:12 PM
Departing90
Sasha
95 D90

If you want some emergency gas to get you out of a pinch buy tye mil spec 5 or 10 litre. The 20 litre is a pain to carry, lift etc... consider getting an auxiliary fuel tank. Carb spec only means that a non spec can is illegal to sell, not to own!
Old July 21st, 2015, 03:30 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

I like the NATO cans for two reasons.
1. They never leak.
2. You don't need a fuel spout to empty them in to a Series Rover.

I use a two liter NATO can for my chainsaw mix.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old July 21st, 2015, 03:58 PM
RovingRyan
Ryan Phelps
84 LHD 110

Registry
I have 2 nato metal cans that I bought new and have been nothing but trouble as far as leaks go. (constantly replacing the seals). I am on to the sceptors now, so far so good...
Old July 21st, 2015, 04:50 PM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
I have 8 scepter plastic 5 gallons. They're chea as chips around here (Canadian army). Never leaks, hard as nail and easy to poor in a military land-rover without the spout. Having a spout is better and for 20cdn$ (new) is no dilemma.
Old July 21st, 2015, 04:56 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Purchased used Septier and metal NATO cans here on the threads and both work fine. I prefer the opening of the metal can for pouring. Better control. These two H2O cans were the pair for $47 shipped deal a few weeks ago. Will worry about spouts for the plastic cans later. Lav usually sells his scraps to me. :-)
Said to be a French WWII officer's wine can (or so the forum seller claimed). It does its job too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4011926449.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	478.7 KB
ID:	125578   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1192855358.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	456.6 KB
ID:	125579  

Old July 21st, 2015, 05:07 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
another vote for scepter mfc's. I don't like metal cans

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 21st, 2015, 06:08 PM
Ncrover725
Bobby
1985 110

Registry
I have used scepter cans on GMVs, RGs, and defenders throughout the world. Zero issues through roll overs, IED strikes, and other events. The screw on spout works great.
1998 D1 (Sold)
1971 109 3 Door (Sold)
Old July 21st, 2015, 06:08 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Saw an unmentioned LR friend completely roll his D1 with 2 Nato cans on the roof. Neither one leaked though bent up. I've had 4 of the Nato cans for over 12 years now, original seals and have never leaked a drop, though I have spare seals on hand. You can't even smell what's inside.

As for pouring, I use the clamp-on can nozzle & a modified transmission funnel trimmed back on both ends. Works great on the D90.

Now just to make them OSHA & EPA spec so the kids can't keep drinking all the gas from them as we know how yummy gasoline tastes
Old July 21st, 2015, 07:49 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Scepter cans take a standard male plastic plumbing fitting you can make a spout from PVC parts. I use a hose barb and a length of rubber hose. Less than $10 for a nice spout.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old July 21st, 2015, 09:12 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G View Post

r-
Ray
To build on Ray's answer, CARB compliant plastic Jerry cans that don't have a vent are absolute crap, 100% of them. Plan on leaking 10% of all poured fuel. Somehow that is more environmentally friendly than a vent and an actual seal on the spout.

----

I found a czech military (NATO?) 10L one from a Military surplus store for $10 about 10 years ago, uses standard NATO gaskets and NEVER leaks. That could be a good source for the good ones at a great price.....if you can find them.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 02:42 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

I have 4 never been used collecting dust. Will post for sale thread as to not hijack.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 02:44 PM
vasily
Vasily
97 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattarm View Post
I have 4 never been used collecting dust. Will post for sale thread as to not hijack.

Well played Sir.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 04:22 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I'm in the process of replacing my steel cans for Scepter MFC. Many spout options are available. I got the 1 1/4" flexible spout that is supposed to empty a 5 gallon can in under a minute.

I have 8 of the Scepter MWC (water cans) and I love them. Beau Johnston at Living Overland makes a really nice little electric faucet that is installed in the Scepter lid and that can be moved over when the can I empty.
Old July 24th, 2015, 11:15 AM
The Wizard
Douglas Wozny
1994/ Defender 90 #500

I use 2 20 litre NATO cans and a Tanami Pro Jerry Can Transfer Pump Products - Tanami Pro .

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
gas