Scary Moment - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 26th, 2008, 12:29 AM
Ex-Mod Tdi 110 Hard Top
Scary Moment

Had a brown trouser moment on the way home from work today. When I pushed in the clutch to change up to 4th gear, the engine started to over rev and was scream like a banshee. I immediately let the clutch back out and got on the brakes. Getting desperate I tried to blip the throttle and noticed there was no resistance on the peddle. The friggin accelerator cable had stuck open. I kicked at the peddle and couple times and it released its self, thankfully.

I pulled over and had a good look at everything and it all appeared normal. The rest of the drive home was VERY slow. Once home I pulled the cable and found it was binding up in the sheath. I have cleaned and lubed the cable and it seems to be working well now, but I think I had best get a new one ordered. Rovers North only lists a RHD one that I could find. I suspect that would be too short for a LHD truck.

Ex-Mod 110 Tdi
Series 3 88 Diesel Soft Top
Old July 26th, 2008, 12:35 AM
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team
George at RDS probably has one. I'd be surprised if he doesn't.

I guess your problem is with the cable in the sheath, but also it seems like the plastic barrel adjuster can come unseated and cause the throttle to not close. I had that happen on one of the v8 trucks, but the adjuster is the same on my 300Tdi.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions