Sanity check after replacing steering gearbox - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 12th, 2008, 12:09 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Sanity check after replacing steering gearbox

Short version: Do I need to re-center the steering (or redo alignment) after replacing the steering gearbox?

Long version: I had an alignment done and my steering centered and it exposed that my steering box was worn (i must have over tightened the adjustment at some point or something). So I replaced the steering gearbox. I took it for a test drive and

1. My steering wheel is almost all the way upside down - I expect this is fine and just a difference in how the keyed area of the gearbox output shaft is oriented.

2. It feels like it pulls to the right at highway speeds. Not sure what affects this on a rover.

I will get the tires balanced before making any changes as I've got vibes too.

thanks,
charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 12th, 2008, 10:07 PM
devinchi
Tim Brown
'95 D90 ST '99D2

Personally I would definitely get it re-aligned. You just replaced the center of the steering, and from your statements it could use some fine tuning. I had similar issues when I replaced the box on my RRC, and they all went away with an alignment.
Old January 13th, 2008, 09:53 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Good to know Tim, thanks.

The problem is they had trouble last time - said the track rod was too long and couldn't adjust it down short enough (but got close). I'm not sure if there is still some other underlying issue there. Anyone know if the track rod is interchangeable between '95 and '97? I got my hands on a '97 track rod and it's *longer* than my rovertracks one.

charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 13th, 2008, 06:42 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Just pull the steering wheel and get it closer so you can fine tune it with the track bar.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old January 13th, 2008, 08:28 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Yup, I'll pull the steering wheel and straighten that for sure.

Main question was if the track bar length should have changed. I want to say in theory it shouldn't. I am pretty sure the actual "alignment" should be fine too since the track rod hasn't changed.

But I didn't have a pull to the right before so not sure what to make of it.

charles
Old January 14th, 2008, 06:39 AM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

HI Charles, what has most likely happend is the steering colum has turned while fitting the new box.
there is also some adjustment on the splines of the steering box to drop arm.

when you recentre the steering wheel the drop arm on the bottom of the steering box should be approximately straight ahead, I think its 2 turns of the wheel from centre to give full left or right lock.

I would avoid adjusting the track ends individually as they should be set up to adjust by the same amount on both sides when the tracking bar is adjusted.

The track rod end with the longer thread is normally used in the drag link but my head hurts thinking about lhd versus track rod thread direction

regards

Gren

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac