Sandblast-Galvanize-Powdercoat questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 27th, 2010, 09:29 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

Sandblast-Galvanize-Powdercoat questions

Thinking about having various parts, such as front bumper/brush bar, rear step, side steps, rear light bar, gas tank skid, sandblasted, galvanized and then powder coated. I have had things sandblasted and powder coated, but never galvanized in between. Its a rover and I want to ensure the parts last as long as they can without rusting. Currently almost no rust present on these parts. Sandblasting and powder coating comes out great, but the slightest imperfection in the powder coat and it starts to flake, or moisture gets in, and then exposes the metal, and rust ensues. I want to galvy to prevent any rust problems.

Ive started doing research on the site, but still have the following questions:

Questions:
1. Can the sandblast-galvanize-powder coat process be done, or will the powder coat not stick to galvy surface?
2. If it wont stick, can I use some sort of etcher to make it so it will stick?
3. Will any of the surfaces I listed will melt due to the galvanizing process?
4. What are other options for painting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 27th, 2010, 09:33 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Yes it can be done. The galvanizer I use offers it as a single process called Fortress Fusion. I believe they air dry the parts after dipping and sand them before PC.
Old December 27th, 2010, 11:24 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I'm game to get in on a galvy run if you beat me to doing my own (very likely). All of those items can be galvanized no problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 27th, 2010, 11:42 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
The procedure would be strip any powdercoat, sandblast, CLEAN (optional), galvanize, chase threads, clean up excess galvy, then sandblast again, THEN powdercoat.

Old December 27th, 2010, 11:52 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I think this is the place that Kevin was talking about up in NY but does anyone know someone who has a similar process in the mid-atlantic?

http://whyrust.com/ and http://www.fortressfusioncoatingsinc.com/

I am looking to do my tire carrier and other miscellaneous bits so maybe we can get a group deal as I'm sure others from our area have some galvy/pc needs
Old December 28th, 2010, 01:25 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

Charles and I talked about galvanizing at last HH (from what I remember). We can discuss at the HH in January to get more concrete plans set in place. Sounds like there is enough interest, its just a matter of finding/choosing the shop to do the work.
Old December 28th, 2010, 01:27 PM
SeattleRRC
Woody
1990 RRC SWB, 1994 D90 ST

Jeff/Kevin/Charles - if you guys find a good place in NOVA that does this I'm interested too.
Old December 28th, 2010, 07:21 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I would like to find a place that does both galvanizing & powder. Most powder guys don't want to spray over the galvy

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions