Salsibury rear disc brake conversion merged threadfest - Page 9 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old June 2nd, 2016, 03:00 PM
86 Defender 110 LS 5.3 In Progress
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Are you sure? What makes you think they are too short? How much engagement into the diff splines are you getting? AFAIK, there is no way to set things up longer than stock.
Using the stock drive members the half shafts don't engage the diff at all...

------ Follow up post added June 2nd, 2016 01:01 PM ------

Originally Posted by diesel_jim View Post
You need to refit the drum braked stub axles... the front "disc braked" stubs don't fit onto the salisbury casing very well for a start, and they're too long... as you've just discovered.
Ok thank you much. I still have the stock ones I will swap those over this weekend.

Old June 2nd, 2016, 03:08 PM
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
See post 87...

Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Okay, here we go again. I am embarking on the rear disc conversion now. There has been a little back and forth between Keith and I on the proper parts for my truck. The confusion lies in what hub should go with what stub/spindle. To clear this up, Keith tells me:

"There are three types of factory stubs on Salisbury rear ends.

Really early type 83-85ish work with pre 1993 front hubs only for disc brakes. You have these stubs, I have these hubs.

Early type 86-93ish these work with RRC hubs front or rear (long non abs pattern usually pre 1991) you have these hubs but not the stubs.

Late model 1994 to current. These use Disco 1 hubs. If you have these you already have disc brakes."

Thus for me to keep my stubs, I need early 90 front disc hubs. If I want to use RRC hubs, I need to source Salisbury rear stubs from 1986-1993.

Pissing people off on the "net" since 1983.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

brake, conversion