Sals pinion nut loose - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old August 17th, 2009, 03:19 PM
109/110 ambulance-55 series I
Sals pinion nut loose

So driving up to Oregon this weekend I noticed a whine on deceleration. Pulled over the the rear pinion was loose and gushing oil. I pulled the prop shaft and axles and re-tigtned and re-stakedthe nut (which was really loose) then continued the rest of the trip in front wheel drive.

I drained it and there were a good deal of shavings on the magnet and in the oil (new oil ~500mi). From what I could see in the hole there are no chunks out of the ring but I couldn't see much.

So the question is what to do now? Is it just stupid to not strip it and at least replace the crush sleeve? Or is there a chance that I can just flush it out, hook it up and continue on my merry way?

Any advice on how to do this myself with only "normal" tools?

By the way the diff and bearings only have about 40k on them.

Old August 17th, 2009, 03:26 PM
I have never seen a rover in person
New crush sleeve would be a minimum if it were mine as well as a new locknut.

OTOH, I saw a sals that drove though the better part of Australia that was filled with water and about two tablespoons of oil and it was fine .
*not legal advice*

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions