Salisbury pinion flange replacement question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 14th, 2015, 09:09 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Salisbury pinion flange replacement question

So today I removed the pinion flange and oil seal on my Salisbury rear axle (seal was leaking.)
I marked the the pinion and nut and counted the turns.

A number of things kind of concern me though. First off the nut wasn't nearly as hard to get off as I expected.
Secondly I went to use a bearing puller to pull off the flange and I could turn the puller by hand and the flange just slid off.
The splines look fine on both the flange and pinion. It also looked like there was rtv on the spines. Weird.

So the flange needs to be replaced as the seal wore a big groove in it (I kind of expected that and have a replacement). But I'm a bit concerned about putting the new one on and just using the old nut setting due to the mentioned issues.

Do you think I should use a new crush washer and pull the diff out to re-set the resistance in the pinion? Or am over thinking this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434330528.503434.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	122902  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 14th, 2015, 09:15 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Salisbury pinion flange replacement question

I should mention that I'm sure the seal has been done previously as the nut and pinion had markings on them. Perhaps that's why the bolt wasn't incredibly tight...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 15th, 2015, 01:07 AM
RovingRyan
Ryan Phelps
84 LHD 110

Registry
I used a speedy sleeve on mine rather then a new flange. That was 10k + miles ago and no leaks. Easy to reuse that way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 15th, 2015, 05:58 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

The manual says to mark the nut prior to removing (or using a dial torque wrench, or digi one, in reverse, so you can see how much torque you need to undo the nut,) then just refit using the same torque, thus the crush tube thing doesn't need touching.
Old June 15th, 2015, 08:03 AM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_jim View Post
The manual says to mark the nut prior to removing (or using a dial torque wrench, or digi one, in reverse, so you can see how much torque you need to undo the nut,) then just refit using the same torque, thus the crush tube thing doesn't need touching.
I do understand that, and everything is marked. I guess I'm just a bit concerned that upon removal both the nut and the flange came off more easily than I had expected. I've read how hard especially the nut is to come off and mine was breeze.
So I'm questioning if it was set up correctly when I took it off, if it wasn't then returning to it's previous position might not be ideal....

Old June 15th, 2015, 08:40 AM
RovingRyan
Ryan Phelps
84 LHD 110

Registry
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...diff-4073.html
Old June 15th, 2015, 02:36 PM
Etienne
Etienne
Tdi 2500 diesel Defender 1985

Registry
You may find on fitting & tightening everything that the pinion will pull up tight like the setting on a wheel bearing and you will find it hard to turn by hand. That problem is stopped by the bearing spacer that collapses while tightening up. Maybe you should fit a new one while you are in there. I know its a drag to pull the Salisbury out and maybe you are lucky and it does not pull up too tight.?
Old June 15th, 2015, 10:30 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Here's a thought. Presuming the crush spacer isn't over cooked I wonder if I could simply tighten the nut up until there was no end float. Using a dial gauge off the pinion end for reference.

Thoughts?

Old June 15th, 2015, 10:40 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
IMO a new crush sleeve is a better way to go.

-Jeff

Ugh dreading pulling the diff

Old June 16th, 2015, 02:48 PM
Etienne
Etienne

Registry
Once you have torqued the crush sleeve to the correct torque and you undo it to fit for instance a new seal on the pinion it is normally difficult to torque back to the correct tightness without pulling the bearings up too tight. I have read of some drivers having a spacer machined instead of fitting the crush sleeve. I have never seen or done this.
Maybe in your case somebody previously had opened the pinion and released the force on the crush sleeve and just screwed it back on again. Keep tightening the flange nut to see how much torque you can get. The nut must be square punched again to stop it coming loose.
Old June 16th, 2015, 03:26 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Apparently most Dana 60s do not use crush sleeves. I wonder if you can get a normal spacer and shim kit from a Dana 60 to get rid of the crush sleeve? You could pull the sleeve and install a solid spacer and shims measured to the same length.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old June 16th, 2015, 03:35 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Apparently most Dana 60s do not use crush sleeves. I wonder if you can get a normal spacer and shim kit from a Dana 60 to get rid of the crush sleeve? You could pull the sleeve and install a solid spacer and shims measured to the same length.
Hmm very interesting idea. The only issue would be if the washer I already have is over crushed it will be very hard to determine what that length would be, without having the diff out, since the resistance is based off bearing pre-load only.

How do they do the set-up on the Dana 60 Pinion bearing pre-load?

------ Follow up post added June 16th, 2015 03:38 PM ------

A follow up thought, perhaps if I used shims I could base the set-up off end float. Interesting

Old June 16th, 2015, 03:59 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
It is resistance based to set bearing preload. You can probably get a reasonable feel for it...

From the manual.
Quote:
95. Alternately tighten the flange nut and check the drive pinion resistance to rotation until the following figures are achieved, as applicable:
a. Assemblies re-using original pinion bearings: 17.3 to 34.5 kgf cm (15 to 30 Ibf in).
b. Assemblies with new pinion bearings: 34.5 to 46.0 kgf cm (30 to 40 Ibf in).

Old June 16th, 2015, 04:05 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Measure the resistance while the bearings are loose and then it should increase with bearing preload the amounts above. With the halfshafts out, I would think you could get a decent number being careful.

Old June 16th, 2015, 07:58 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Upon some deeper contemplation of the set-up I'm having a hard time grasping what the purpose of the crush sleeve or in the Dana 60 case the shim stack is.
Surely you could apply the proper amount of pressure to the bearings to locate them and get appropriate resistance. Why even have the sleeve? I mean a hub (unless it's td5 or newer) doesn't have a spacer to load the bearings it relies on elimination of end float to get the bearings set properly.
So there must be a reason for the crush tube but what is it? I'm overlooking something here.

Old June 16th, 2015, 08:05 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
It sets the bearing preload. Rover diffs use shims. Hubs use double nuts and lock washers but those don't spin.

Old June 16th, 2015, 08:08 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
It sets the bearing preload. Rover diffs use shims. Hubs use double nuts and lock washers.
Surely you could set the preload without it. Is it just to allow you to crank the nut up to a high tension so it doesn't back off without crushing the bearings? Effectively using tension as the double nut and lock washer?

That would make some sense.

Old June 16th, 2015, 09:01 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
FYI when I did mine - speedi-sleeve (instead of new flange as someone already mentioned), marked the nut position and counted the threads/revolutions to remove, put in new seal, and reassembled - I did not do the crush sleeve. All was fine for many thousands of miles.

That said - it did take my 450ft-lb Snap On impact to get the nut off in the first place. I could not do it with a breaker bar & floor jack on the breaker handle, or with air tools. It was ON there.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old June 17th, 2015, 01:28 PM
Etienne
Etienne

Registry
On my diff (salisbury) I had to use a 3 ton bottle jack and a 32 socket welded to a 25mm roundbar about a foot long to get that nut to move. Had to jack up the socket against the Landy's weight to get the nut to budge. I found a seal at the engineering supplier , black pvc no metal double lipped with innerspring tensioner measuring 80mm outer & 47mm inner, intended for some or other truck. In $'s it cost $2.00. It fitted well with no leaks to date. Do you really have to buy that weird land rover seal?
Old June 17th, 2015, 08:50 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
my past experience has taught me that if I pull the flange with a crush sleeve behind it, the only way to properly reassemble is by installing a new crush sleeve. other wise you are asking for trouble.
the time and money spent on installing a new sleeve is less than the headache and extra expense on having to replace damaged diff internals due to improper pinion preload because of a used crush sleeve.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac