Salisbury pinion flange replacement question - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old June 17th, 2015, 12:28 PM
Tdi 2500 diesel Defender 1985
On my diff (salisbury) I had to use a 3 ton bottle jack and a 32 socket welded to a 25mm roundbar about a foot long to get that nut to move. Had to jack up the socket against the Landy's weight to get the nut to budge. I found a seal at the engineering supplier , black pvc no metal double lipped with innerspring tensioner measuring 80mm outer & 47mm inner, intended for some or other truck. In $'s it cost $2.00. It fitted well with no leaks to date. Do you really have to buy that weird land rover seal?

Old June 17th, 2015, 07:50 PM
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP
my past experience has taught me that if I pull the flange with a crush sleeve behind it, the only way to properly reassemble is by installing a new crush sleeve. other wise you are asking for trouble.
the time and money spent on installing a new sleeve is less than the headache and extra expense on having to replace damaged diff internals due to improper pinion preload because of a used crush sleeve.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions