Salisbury HD Axles - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 24th, 2013, 09:05 PM
Kelbo
Kelly
'86 110

Registry
Salisbury HD Axles

After doing a little research, and looking under the rear of my 130, I just discovered my truck basically has a Dana 60 rear axle. I did not know this prior to today.. (shoulda looked)

Badass

'86 110

Former Rigs:
'94 D 90 ST
'84 D 130 Hi-Cap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 24th, 2013, 09:16 PM
Kelbo
Kelly
'86 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Yep. There are some differences. Its not quite as strong (axel shafts) but its MUCH stronger than a Rover type.

-Jeff
What's the spline count on the shafts? Is the housing identical to a D60? Looks to be from me, but I don't have a 60 beside it to compare. Also, does anyone know the gear ratio in the 130 axles?

Thanks

'86 110

Former Rigs:
'94 D 90 ST
'84 D 130 Hi-Cap
Old January 24th, 2013, 09:21 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelbo View Post
What's the spline count on the shafts?
24 spline, 3.54 R&P was stock.
Advertisement

Old January 24th, 2013, 09:28 PM
Kelbo
Kelly
'86 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs View Post
24 spline, 3.54 R&P was stock.
Sweet, thanks. I've owned quite a few different CJs, early broncos, a couple of rubicons, 2500/3500 dodges with a cummins, but this is only my second Rover.... And the first one slept in my garage too few nights for me to familiarize myself with it.

I'm enjoying the hell out of this truck, and it doesn't hurt that it's in a different universe of coolness compared to the jeeps/broncos. I've always been a fan of turning a wrench on my trucks (the things I can handle), and getting to know this truck is a blast. I hope to never have to part ways with this one....

Thanks for the info, fellows.

------ Follow up post added January 24th, 2013 09:35 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
24spline. Its close, but ther are sone differences. The Coils Sals has the Aframe mount cast in. But your in luck, the D60 covers will go on a Sals, so you can go for that chrome cover youve been wanting.

3.54 was stock, and while you can use D60 gears (and ARB) the gears for the Rover type front will be the limiting factor to re-gearing.

-Jeff
Lol @ the chrome... No way in hell. What model is the front axle?

Just to be clear... D60 ring and pinion/locker models completely drop in to the Salisbury HD rear? What are my options on the front?

The thought has crossed my mind going to 4.10 (or closest), but I am concerned with the rpms at 65-70mph. That's about my top speed (something is wrong if you speed in a defender), but I have no tach, so I'm not certain on what the rpms are.

Thx, Jeff

'86 110

Former Rigs:
'94 D 90 ST
'84 D 130 Hi-Cap
Old January 24th, 2013, 09:54 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
After doing a little research, and looking under the rear of my 130, I just discovered my truck basically has a Dana 60 rear axle. I did not know this prior to today.. (shoulda looked)

Badass
every 110 and 130 up to the td5's. During the td5 production they switched back the the rover rear axle.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 24th, 2013, 10:11 PM
Kelbo
Kelly
'86 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
every 110 and 130 up to the td5's. During the td5 production they switched back the the rover rear axle.
I've got a TD5, and the sali HD. Dont the first 2 years of the TD5 trucks have a Sali HD, and then they switched back? I could be off, but this was my understanding from what I read.

'86 110

Former Rigs:
'94 D 90 ST
'84 D 130 Hi-Cap
Old January 24th, 2013, 11:48 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

You have the D60 ring and pinion, but basically the stock rover axle shafts. So it's cool and a big bummer at the same time. You can get good shafts into it though, but it takes some work.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old January 25th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Kelbo
Kelly
'86 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s View Post
You have the D60 ring and pinion, but basically the stock rover axle shafts. So it's cool and a big bummer at the same time. You can get good shafts into it though, but it takes some work.
Seeing that they're 24 spline, I thought they were. A D60 has 35 spline shafts standard, correct? To upgrade, is the process the same as any other axle shaft swap?

Thx

'86 110

Former Rigs:
'94 D 90 ST
'84 D 130 Hi-Cap
Old January 25th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Seeing that they're 24 spline, I thought they were. A D60 has 35 spline shafts standard, correct? To upgrade, is the process the same as any other axle shaft swap?

Thx
60s normally have 30 spline. 30 spline is fairly easy to put in. You just need to bore the spindles and add new drive flanges. Unfortunately, 30 spline is only 15% stronger than 24 spline, so there is not much point (with the cost) and you might as well just do chromo 24 spline shafts. If you are staying 35" and under, I would suggest that route.

35 spline requires new spindles and drive flanges. The hubs need to be machined to accept larger bearings for the larger spindles.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old January 25th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
I've got a TD5, and the sali HD. Dont the first 2 years of the TD5 trucks have a Sali HD, and then they switched back? I could be off, but this was my understanding from what I read.
yes by the 03's they had dropped the salisbury/tater plow

Dividing Creek Imports

Old January 25th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:

Thx
Redrover is mostly right, and a little wrong. Most dana60's had 35 spline based on my junkyard experience. Some had 30.

He is correct on what it takes to get it into a sals. I would not bother doing any of it unless you need it. But right now you have an eagle with chicken wings.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old January 25th, 2013, 11:15 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Keith @ rovingtracks should be able to help you, he has done a bunch of them
Old January 25th, 2013, 11:34 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s View Post
But right now you have an eagle with chicken wings.

Thats some funny shiz there Dave

Dividing Creek Imports

Old January 25th, 2013, 11:52 AM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
The Salisbury axle assembly built in the UK under license from Dana and will accept most old style Dana 60 internal parts and cover plates. Mine has a 1990's Dodge truck front Dana 60 cover plate (thicker than standard stamped steel cover plate) and an old poison spider brand Dana 60 diff protector.

The Salisbury was introduced with the introduction of the Series III 109 Land Rovers. It was standard fitment an all SIII 109's and 110s, I'm guess until around the time the td5 was introduced. The Series Salisbury's came with 4.7:1 R&P gears, the coiler Salisbury with 3.54.

Salisburys had drum brakes through 1993 then received disc brakes for 1994. yes there is a collection of parts you can get to to convert from drum to disc brakes but it is easier just to buy a conversion kit from ROAM OFFROAD.

All the Salisburys came with 24 spline axles. For those who beat their trucks harder they can be converted to 35 spline with some machining of the stub axles. Or one can upgrade to harder 24 spline axles. ROAM OFFROAD has hardened 24 spline axles.

The Salisbury drive flanges are made of a soft steel that wears over use creating a gap between the axle splines and the flange splines, producing what is commonly referred to as the Salisbury clunk. If you start hearing a clunk in your drive train as you go between power and coasting it is time to install a new set of drive flanges. There are aftermarket steel Salisbury drive flanges that are harder and will last.

Old January 25th, 2013, 11:57 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Short of >35in or even >37in tires and a detroit, I can't see anyone needing something stronger than 24 spline chromo shafts in a sals.
Old January 26th, 2013, 06:34 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

The most common issue I have seen (and I have seen what seems like quite a few), the rear drive flanges strip out. Especially in later "dry" hubs.
Keith at Roving Tracks has made them for me with integral drive flanges and HD shafts. No failures to date and some of these have some significant miles on them. A bolt in solution for part of the problem.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old January 26th, 2013, 11:28 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post

Not quite "back to the rover axle"

It's a rover looking axle, but the case thickness on the 110/130 "rover type" axle is much thicker than a 90/disco/rangie rear, and it has the stumpy 4 pinion diff from the 4.6 P38 rangie.
Old January 26th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Fwiw: it's known as Sslisbury as that's where the Dana factory is in England.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old January 26th, 2013, 12:10 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have a detroit in mine and have tried to push the 130 through some "extreme" rock gardens @ The Cove . I have broken both shafts a couple of times. I keep going with stock as I view the shafts as kind of like a fuse that I'm blowing. If I wrap the fuse with aluminum foil and put it back what will I break then (Ie hardened shafts) and because the stock shafts are $25 ea.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old January 26th, 2013, 12:16 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Fwiw: it's known as Sslisbury as that's where the Dana factory is in England.

No it isn't. They're made by GKN up in the Midlands somewhere.

nowhere near Salisbury. sorry.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
axle