Defender Source Forum banner

Salisbury Axle with a welded on stub axle, disc brakes, Factory?

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Capt Milks 
#1 ·
Does anybody know if a Disc Brake Salisbury axle had the stub axle welded on from the factory? I have one where the stub axle is welded on and it looks factory but wasn't sure. Thanks for any info

#3 ·
Pictures of a welded Stub axle on a Salisbury

Here are some pictures. I also took a picture of the bracket that is used to hold on the brake caliper. This is a disc brake set up. I was just wondering if it was a factory set up or aftermarket. I too was wondering why they would do it this way as it would be hard, if not impossible, to replace the inner seal. Then what happens if the stub axle has wear and you want to replace it. Thankfully these look pretty good.

Attachments

#5 ·
That's not welded, just very rusted.

Even when they're not rusted they stick like **** to a blanket.

The end of the stub needs some persuasion with a hammer. but be careful you don't damage the threads or distort the tube on the stub.

Later salisburies (from about 2000~2001 onwards) had the caliper brackets cast as part of the end tube, just as the D90 or discovery rear axles are. but the stub was and is always removable.

#6 ·
I feel so stupid... Jamie, thanks for pointing me in the correct direction. You were 100 percent correct. Everything was so rusted you couldn't tell they were two pieces. After looking inside the bolt holes I could see the two parts. With a little help from the back with the hammer the stub axles came right off. Now it all makes sense.
The funny thing, I think, is the rear Disc looks just like a Defender front, non vented disc,? It is a little deeper than the rear disc on the D90.

Thanks again guys, Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.