Salisbury Axle with a welded on stub axle, disc brakes, Factory? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 20th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Salisbury Axle with a welded on stub axle, disc brakes, Factory?

Does anybody know if a Disc Brake Salisbury axle had the stub axle welded on from the factory? I have one where the stub axle is welded on and it looks factory but wasn't sure. Thanks for any info
Advertisement

Old December 20th, 2010, 09:16 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Hey Mike,

I have never ever seen one, The British Military was/is firm on the stub axle being replacable so LR stuck with that thought.

I'd love to see a pic though. Disc or Drum Brakes?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old December 21st, 2010, 07:27 AM
Capt Milks
Mike

Pictures of a welded Stub axle on a Salisbury

Here are some pictures. I also took a picture of the bracket that is used to hold on the brake caliper. This is a disc brake set up. I was just wondering if it was a factory set up or aftermarket. I too was wondering why they would do it this way as it would be hard, if not impossible, to replace the inner seal. Then what happens if the stub axle has wear and you want to replace it. Thankfully these look pretty good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear-Sals-stub-axle.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	34123   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear-brake-bracket.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	34124  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear-stub-Axle-2.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	34125  
Advertisement

Old December 21st, 2010, 09:11 AM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

That very well might not be welded, the pilot on Salisbury stub axles are on the Outside Diameter of the flange, that may be be what you are seeing.
Ahh FTC 3306

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old December 21st, 2010, 09:11 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

That's not welded, just very rusted.

Even when they're not rusted they stick like shit to a blanket.

The end of the stub needs some persuasion with a hammer. but be careful you don't damage the threads or distort the tube on the stub.

Later salisburies (from about 2000~2001 onwards) had the caliper brackets cast as part of the end tube, just as the D90 or discovery rear axles are. but the stub was and is always removable.
Old December 21st, 2010, 09:45 AM
Capt Milks
Mike

I feel so stupid... Jamie, thanks for pointing me in the correct direction. You were 100 percent correct. Everything was so rusted you couldn't tell they were two pieces. After looking inside the bolt holes I could see the two parts. With a little help from the back with the hammer the stub axles came right off. Now it all makes sense.
The funny thing, I think, is the rear Disc looks just like a Defender front, non vented disc,? It is a little deeper than the rear disc on the D90.

Thanks again guys, Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_jim View Post
That's not welded, just very rusted.

Even when they're not rusted they stick like shit to a blanket.

The end of the stub needs some persuasion with a hammer. but be careful you don't damage the threads or distort the tube on the stub.

Later salisburies (from about 2000~2001 onwards) had the caliper brackets cast as part of the end tube, just as the D90 or discovery rear axles are. but the stub was and is always removable.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, axle, brake, factory