Sagging Suspension: How Much is Too Much? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 18th, 2007, 02:30 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Sagging Suspension: How Much is Too Much?

Hi kids. My 110 has recently developed a sag on the left front. It's probably 2-3 inches lower than the right side. I've been spending a lot of money on the vehicle recently and don't really feel like redoing the whole suspension right now. It seems like this shouldn't be a bad thing, right? Or am I out to lunch here?

I have a 10 day trip planned in less than 3 weeks. It's mostly on-road with some fire roads in Maine being the only off-highway driving. I will have the truck fairly loaded up, with a roof tent and gear for 10 days.

I do plan to fix it at some point, but unless this is posing a real safety issue, or is going to cause other problems that I can avoid by switching out the suspension now, I'd rather put it off for a few months. I have two brand new OME shocks sitting in the garage, so I'd probably add to that and do an OME spring/shock upgrade.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
- Andrew.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 18th, 2007, 05:45 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aclarke
Hi kids. My 110 has recently developed a sag on the left front. It's probably 2-3 inches lower than the right side. I've been spending a lot of money on the vehicle recently and don't really feel like redoing the whole suspension right now. It seems like this shouldn't be a bad thing, right? Or am I out to lunch here?

I have a 10 day trip planned in less than 3 weeks. It's mostly on-road with some fire roads in Maine being the only off-highway driving. I will have the truck fairly loaded up, with a roof tent and gear for 10 days.

I do plan to fix it at some point, but unless this is posing a real safety issue, or is going to cause other problems that I can avoid by switching out the suspension now, I'd rather put it off for a few months. I have two brand new OME shocks sitting in the garage, so I'd probably add to that and do an OME spring/shock upgrade.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
- Andrew.
Typically (please do not read anything bad about this "typically") the driver is the heaviest of all the passengers of the truck (ok..... "typically" does not mean "all the time", ok? No flamewar, please! Or.... ), so I'd suggest, you swap the driver-side spring with the passenger-side spring until you get more money to replace the suspension system (shock + spring).
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old June 18th, 2007, 07:28 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Hi. I could do that, but I don't have time to do the work myself so I'd have to pay someone to do it. If I'm going to pay for the time, I'll just buy new springs since I have to do that anyway.

My CB solution would be to ignore it. I just don't know if there's any dangerous aspect to that. For instance, is there any chance of the spring breaking? Will it damage anything else? Will it make the ride more dangerous? I mean I know theoretically it will but I haven't noticed it really.

I just don't want to be in the middle of nowhere half way through my vacation and have it fail on me. If there's a realistic chance of that happening, I'll replace it all before I go. I'd just rather not have to.

Thanks,
- Andrew.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 18th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Your CB approach is not very creative. Here's the true CB, fill the drivers side spring with tennis balls untill the correct height is obtained. Now that is a beautiful thing.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old June 18th, 2007, 08:25 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Your CB approach is not very creative. Here's the true CB, fill the drivers side spring with tennis balls untill the correct height is obtained. Now that is a beautiful thing.
That is a creative solution, and I quite like it. However, as a CB solution, mine is free and therefore superior.

- Andrew.
Old June 18th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclarke
That is a creative solution, and I quite like it. However, as a CB solution, mine is free and therefore superior.

- Andrew.
Ah,

I disagree strongly. A CB solution, must be a solution. Not doing anything is not a solution at all. Words to live by.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old June 18th, 2007, 11:10 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

I've never heard of a spring "failing" however if the springs are worn enough to get a 2 inch lean going I'd be worried about weight on the roof and going around turns... Springs might be soft enough to make the truck unstable in a swerve or right hand turn when it's loaded with stuff. I know you don't want to do any work but the quickest fix I can think of is ordering those rubber spacers from EE and shim the ride hight until it's level. You could probably install them in 30 mins or less
Old June 19th, 2007, 07:36 AM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Ah,

I disagree strongly. A CB solution, must be a solution. Not doing anything is not a solution at all. Words to live by.
Good point, but it's only a solution if there's a problem, which is what I've been trying to establish. If it's only aesthetics I can live with that for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflash868
I've never heard of a spring "failing" however if the springs are worn enough to get a 2 inch lean going I'd be worried about weight on the roof and going around turns... Springs might be soft enough to make the truck unstable in a swerve or right hand turn when it's loaded with stuff. I know you don't want to do any work but the quickest fix I can think of is ordering those rubber spacers from EE and shim the ride hight until it's level. You could probably install them in 30 mins or less
This is my biggest concern. Right now I don't think it's dangerous or anything as I don't really even notice the difference when I'm driving. Then again I don't have it all loaded up. I also don't know if there's something I'm "missing" in terms of the severity of the situation, or if this is a precursor to the spring suddenly sagging ANOTHER 3 inches or something, in which case it would become an issue pretty quickly.

I am mostly a "do it right" kind of person, so if I'm going to take the time to do any work I'm going to replace all the springs and shocks.

Thanks again, and I guess I'll continue to agonize over whether this is worth $800 of my money right now.

- Andrew.
Old June 19th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Are you sure it is just sagging and that a coil has not broken? It seems strange that just one spring would sag that much especially since this sounds like it was a rather quick/sudden thing that occurred. I would double check that the spring didn't break. Look closely at the outer most two coils. I once swapped out susp. on a mustang and didn't even know one of the coils was broken until I took it apart b/c it wasn't sagging enough to even notice!
Old June 19th, 2007, 04:41 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Hi. Thanks for the idea. It's not a broken coil, and I just measured again from the lip of the rim to the fender, and it's more like 1.5". When I measured before it was more, so it's probably somewhere between those two numbers. I don't know if the smaller sag makes a difference in the prognosis.

I think I'll probably go ahead and do the swap if I can get the replacement stuff in time. I know someone who can likely get me a very good deal on Bearmach and/or Britpart replacement springs, even though I'm more used to/comfortable with OME.

Thanks,
- Andrew.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions