Saga continues.... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 6th, 2007, 10:08 PM
ScottYates
Scott Yates
94 D90 #639, Yellow

Angry Saga continues....

Ok, really annoyed with myself now. I still have not been able to find my gremlin.

To recap: Engine will not exceed 3200-3400 rpm under any circumstances. Hesitates at random intervals but then takes off. Poor idle and the engine does not speed up to over 750 rpm when cold. Does not ping or desiel. 45,000 miles on the vehicle.

Replaced: distributer, cap, ignition module and coil(all with Mallory)

Fuel filter, air cleaner, stepper motor, fuel pressure regulator, NGK plugs, ECU (put mine back in when the new one failed to make a difference), and all fluids.

Have timed ignition at 4,5,6, and 8 degrees btdc (currently set at stock value of 4 degrees).

I am completely out of ideas. Please, any suggestions of where to go next would be greatly appreciated. I am beyond feeling stupid now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 6th, 2007, 10:12 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Fuel pump going bad?
Old February 6th, 2007, 10:13 PM
ScottYates
Scott Yates
94 D90 #639, Yellow

No clue how to check it. I can't find a fuel gage that will fit at the filter and there does not seem to be another location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 7th, 2007, 12:11 AM
bjenk
Brian Jenkinson
1994 D90

I have similar issues with my 94. I cleaned the MAF with the crcindustries MAF cleaner and it did make a differance. I would give it a go and see. Also it is very inexpensive. I read up on it at www.rangie.com

good luck and let us know what you find out.

brian
Old February 7th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Monkeyboy

I don't see plug wires on your replacement list.

I was told this is a common problem on our old Mazda and thought it was bunk. Then I had the same symptoms that you have ... new wires + problem gone.

Then a couple of years later the same thing happened ... needed a fuel pump ... problem gone.

Now the little Mazda pump is way easier to replace than the D90's, but I'd find a pressure gauge and check pressure next.

edit .... isnt' there a schrader valve on the fuel rail that can be used for checking pressure ?

KAA
Old February 7th, 2007, 09:50 AM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

Some fuel rails have a connection to check fuel pressure. My 94 did not either.
No check engine light? No code thrown?

I went threw the same component swap for different issues. Plus 02 sensors, MAF, engine/fuel temp sensor (for the ECU, not the guages), fuel injection flush, fuel pump, and TPS.
I had a 90k mile project and didn't want to have things continue to fail me.
Finally found a great mechanic at the LR dealer (they can be hit/miss)
He put a used MAF on and that settled my issues.
My issues where misfires and wouldn't hold idle. (would hunt up and down and cut off when warm)
I probably didn't help much.....Maybe a new fuel pump would be a worthy upgrade. If it isn't broken sell the old one.
Old February 7th, 2007, 10:28 AM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

I really have no idea how to check for pressure, but my old 90 could not go over 3000 RPM and I found out the hose on the bump was slightly loose. The only way you can change your pump is by dropping the tank. I have a MAF sitting in my garage and you are more than welcome to try it out and see if that in fact is your problem.
Old February 7th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Scott 9835
Scott Falter
95 D90

Have you checked for A/c Voltage at the altenator? A/Cvoltage causes really weired porblems. Just Disconnect the altenator wires or belt and try it again.
Old February 7th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

I would drop the cat pipes off the manifolds and run it briefly to check for a plugged exhaust.
Old February 7th, 2007, 06:32 PM
ScottYates
Scott Yates
94 D90 #639, Yellow

Ok,

I dropped the exhaust, no change (although I broke two of the bolts off). I sprayed all the vacuum lines with soapy water, no leaks. I rechecked all electrical connections. I have no codes and unfortunately never had. I also cleaned the MAF with the cleaner bJenk recommended, throttle response and idle improved a little. Problem persist.

I did notice one thing though. I am not smoking but after trying to see if it would rev up past 3200 rpm a couple of times I noticed it had turned the snow black from the tail pipe. No idea what that means. I have never seen it in an engine that didn't smoke.

I will check the alternator and get some wires. Anybody have any recommendations for wires?
If that doesn't fix it I guess I get to change a fuel pump.

Out of curiosity, is this kind of maintenance usual for a LR with 45,000 miles or am I just lucky =)
Old February 7th, 2007, 06:51 PM
cpk
Corey K-nig
1993 NAS Defender 110

Sounds like a fuel problem. One thing not mentioned is the fuel pressure regulator. I think this is how it works. It's wide open when engine is off. Once you start the engine, the vaccum closes the regulator to limit the fuel pressure going to the injectors depending on RPM. If the regulator is stuck wide open the fuel pressure going to the injectors could be to high. This may cause other problems also. Unhook the vaccum hose to the regular and spray WD-40 in it (it's located next to the fuel rail) and see what happens. It's worth a try.
Old February 7th, 2007, 07:09 PM
ScottYates
Scott Yates
94 D90 #639, Yellow

Sorry, I forgot to mention, I changed the pressure regulator also. My bad. <<<<<Loosing his mind.
Old February 7th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

What about the injectors themselves, have you listened to them to make sure they are "ticking"? I would also change the fuel filter as well and blow out the fuel rail after taking off the injectors in case something got inside (not likely). Good Luck.

Neil
Old February 8th, 2007, 12:42 AM
ScottYates
Scott Yates
94 D90 #639, Yellow

Fuel filter was the first thing I replaced. I do not really understand what you mean by the injectors "ticking". I have no idea how to check them. I pull the plugs one by one and at idle they all make it stumble (BTW, that is shocking, hehe).

Whatever it is seems to be getting worse. It will occassionally stall when I come to a light now.
Old February 8th, 2007, 02:03 AM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottYates
Fuel filter was the first thing I replaced. I do not really understand what you mean by the injectors "ticking". I have no idea how to check them. I pull the plugs one by one and at idle they all make it stumble (BTW, that is shocking, hehe).

Whatever it is seems to be getting worse. It will occassionally stall when I come to a light now.
When injectors squirt they make a ticking sound. It's like this piston thing that moves up and down or side to side, can't remember right now but when they move they tick because of how fast their moving. Thats how you know if they are working and not stuck. You put a long screwdriver to the injector and put it to your ear and listen. If fuel and spark delivery is fine, than you should move onto a compression check. Your engine might have ingested something and scored up the cylinder bore (not likely but you never know) Good luck.

Neil
Old February 8th, 2007, 03:34 AM
jimngo
Jim Ngo
1994 D90 #80

I'm going to guess:
Ignition Amplifier
Spark Plug Wires
Vacuum Advance
Fuel Pump
Old February 8th, 2007, 12:27 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

It sounds like you've got spark & air, but fuel is questionable.

If the vehicle is limited to a range of revolutions then obviously something is either suppressing it electrically or physically, e.g. not enough or incorrect fuel ratio.

Perhaps the next thing to investigate are the fuel rails and the injectors. I believe you can test the pressure at the rails, but I don't know off-hand how to test the injectors other than replacing them.
Old February 8th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

I'm with Jim -- for as well known a problem as the ignition module is on '94s, I'd start there. If it were me, I'd get a proper bosch coil and the retrofit remote amplifier (stc 1856) hook them up and see what happens.

Good luck!
Old February 8th, 2007, 03:03 PM
outfield
Steve
1995 D-90 SW #351

Registry
I was told by a local Land Rover mechanic these steps to check your fuel pump:

There are two rubber lines at the fuel rail, one crimped, one with a clamp. The clamped line is the return line.

Unhook the return line and attach a length of fuel line to the fitting, then route it to a container.

Start the engine, a good pump will push a volume of about 1 ounce per second of fuel out the return line. If the volume is less, or sporatic, your pump needs to be replaced.

Good luck!
Old February 8th, 2007, 04:13 PM
ScottYates
Scott Yates
94 D90 #639, Yellow

Ok, I try your suggestion outfield.

Also guys I guess I wasn't very clear. I replaced the entire ignition system with Mallory components. The distributer included new vacuum advance, ignition module is in the distributer now, a new coil as well. I had this issue prior to installing the Mallory parts so they obviously did not effect the issue.

There is no port on the fuel rail to check pressure on a 94 (retarded engineers).

I have ordered a fuel pump and new spark plug wires. If you have more suggestions, hit me.

BTW, thank you all for the help and suggestions so far. With your help I know I will get this gremlin.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions