Saga continues.... - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 20th, 2007, 11:29 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottYates
btate is right. That is where the coolant sensor is on mine. I just don't know how to test them. This thing is crazy frustrating, lol. I have not been able to find a good manual anywhere. The Heritage Motors Land Rover CD sucks really bad. No troubleshooting and you can't make any hardcopies to take out into the garage. If anyone knows of a good one please shout so I can get one coming. 34 years old and I think I'm loosing my hair over this.
Not sure what version of the Heritage Motors you got, but I can print from mine.....
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 20th, 2007, 11:33 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Run it with an O2 sensor disconnected and see if that helps. Try both disconnected as well.

Ron
Old February 20th, 2007, 01:14 PM
jimngo
Jim Ngo
1994 D90 #80

Popping noises in the exhaust? It's definitely running rich. My bet is on either the coolant temp sensor, O2 sensors, or the throttle position sensor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 20th, 2007, 02:47 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Run it with an O2 sensor disconnected and see if that helps. Try both disconnected as well.

Ron
Isn't this going to make it run in limp mode (i.e. bypassing all the other sensors as well)?
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
Old February 20th, 2007, 05:30 PM
ScottYates
Scott Yates
94 D90 #639, Yellow

It should throw it in limp-in mode. Any idea how to check any of these. It's getting a little pricey changing everything under the sun.
Old February 20th, 2007, 07:07 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro

Registry
Quote:
It should throw it in limp-in mode. Any idea how to check any of these. It's getting a little pricey changing everything under the sun.
Any friend around that you could use to switch them?
Otherwise, you can use a voltmeter and I _think_ they should oscillate between 12V and 0V (need to find some rangie test pages.....)
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
Old February 20th, 2007, 07:38 PM
ScottYates
Scott Yates
94 D90 #639, Yellow

No one around to switch with. I took some preliminary reading before seeing your post. With the vehicle completely cold:

Fuel temp sensor: 4.14 k Ohms
Coolant temp sensor: 4.27 k Ohms

I'll try to check the others and then voltages as well if I can get to the wires themselves.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 12:33 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro

Registry
Just as a side note (looking at the manual right now):
* Fuel delivery test with the injector open and pressurised as above, fuel delivery from each injector should be 160-175cc per minute using white spirit,or 180-195cc per minute using petrol at 20C 2C.

Follow-up Post:

The workshop manual seems to state that 1993 to 1995 vehicule _have_ a road speed sensor.
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
Old February 22nd, 2007, 10:29 AM
ScottYates
Scott Yates
94 D90 #639, Yellow

Any idea where that road sensor might be then? I sure have not been able to locate it lol.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 02:40 PM
jimngo
Jim Ngo
1994 D90 #80

Scott, you might want to measure those sensors cold AND after the engine is at operating temperature. The values should be very different.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 05:27 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro

Registry
Quote:
Any idea where that road sensor might be then? I sure have not been able to locate it lol.
I believe (but did not verified) that on my 95 it is on the T-case when the speedo cable is connected. Let me re-open the manual.

Follow-up Post:

I have verified that there is a _different_ coolant temperature sensor for the ECU than for the gauge (I don't think this is the problem, but.... who knows).
This manual contains the continuity tests for the road speed sensor and a bunch of others (that's for the RRC, but should apply to the Defender as this is the same drive train): http://www.landrover.ee/est/files/ma..._injection.pdf

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonLand
http://www.landrover.ee/est/files/manuals/cars/rrc/rrm_fuel_injection.pdf
That same manual talks about the road speed sensor (a box somewhere on the frame rail between the T-Case and the speed gauge). if you crawl under, you should see it (I did! ;-) ).
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
Old February 23rd, 2007, 12:46 AM
ScottYates
Scott Yates
94 D90 #639, Yellow

Both the coolant temp sensor and the fuel temp sensor appear to work. They both decrease resistance when warm. Installed both the fuel pump and fuel injection relays today............no joy. It smoothed out alot at idle but the idle has now increased to 1200 rpm and she still has no high idle when cold and will not run over 3200 rpm. I located the speed sensor and tried to rev it while it was disconnected, no joy. I printed out the diagnostic info from your link Monland. I now what I am doing Saturday (my father-in-law does yet now he's helping, lol).
Old February 23rd, 2007, 03:11 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

I read this post.

This reminds me of a problem child I fought with once.

Start at the battery. Clean the battery connections well. Follow the negative cable to the transfer case and frame. Clean these connections and lube with diaelectric when reconnecting. There is a big ground connection at the back of the drivers side cylinder head. Remove and clean, lube these ground wires also. It is a double ended stud-you may have to remove the stud also.

With battery disconected remove starter cables. One goes to the battery the other to the maxi fuse box. Remove and clean, lube. This helps any voltage drop which can take place at this connection.

Also I highly recomend replacing the distributor cap and rotor with a OEM brand replacement. The parts stores sell a substandard cap and rotor that will cause symptoms like these. Especially the rotor buttons. It needs to say Lucas on it. The only good Lucas part ever made.

JP

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy

Also I highly recomend replacing the distributor cap and rotor with a OEM brand replacement. The parts stores sell a substandard cap and rotor that will cause symptoms like these. Especially the rotor buttons. It needs to say Lucas on it. The only good Lucas part ever made.

JP
Reiterate

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old February 24th, 2007, 07:27 PM
ScottYates
Scott Yates
94 D90 #639, Yellow

Unhappy

It would appear that I have a major short some where in the ignition circuit (I think).
While running the diagnostic test info from your link Monland, I had some excitement. The old Bosch OEM coil exploded like a Roman Candle. I now have black insulation all over lol.

Prior to the excite, I was running the voltage test through the ECU harness. MAF, Stepper motor, and throttle potentiometer are all at 0 volts. I am theorizing that since the ignition has to be on in order to run the test on these that I have a short to ground in the ignition circuit. Otherwise I have no ideas. I am going to try to find the problem with the coil harness and see if that helps.

BTW, I did all the ground clean up you suggested Pendy. I also double checked that the grounds are all good using a voltmeter. Body to frame, body to engine block, ECU to engine block, and ECU to body are all good.
Old February 24th, 2007, 11:18 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Your problems might be overwith when you replace the damaged coil, we can hope. The silver Lucas coils some of the vendors sell seem to work okay. Or I got plenty of used ones if you like.

JP
PM me an address if you want a used original.

Quote:
It would appear that I have a major short some where in the ignition circuit (I think).
While running the diagnostic test info from your link Monland, I had some excitement. The old Bosch OEM coil exploded like a Roman Candle. I now have black insulation all over lol.

Prior to the excite, I was running the voltage test through the ECU harness. MAF, Stepper motor, and throttle potentiometer are all at 0 volts. I am theorizing that since the ignition has to be on in order to run the test on these that I have a short to ground in the ignition circuit. Otherwise I have no ideas. I am going to try to find the problem with the coil harness and see if that helps.

BTW, I did all the ground clean up you suggested Pendy. I also double checked that the grounds are all good using a voltmeter. Body to frame, body to engine block, ECU to engine block, and ECU to body are all good.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old February 27th, 2007, 05:50 PM
ScottYates
Scott Yates
94 D90 #639, Yellow

Question

I uploaded a few photos I think). Does anything look out of place. The ECU wiring I am pointing at looks gheto. Does anyone else have something similar in their harness? I am chasing a no voltage to the MAF and stepper motor circuits with the key to on and engine not running.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0327-1.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	8383   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0331-1.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	8384  

Name:	HPIM0332-1.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	8385   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0334-1.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	8387  

Name:	HPIM0328-1.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	8388  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions