Saga continues.... - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 8th, 2007, 06:14 PM
bjenk
Brian Jenkinson
1994 D90

300tdi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2007, 09:04 PM
jimngo
Jim Ngo
1994 D90 #80

Black soot in the exhaust indicates you're running rich. What is the condition of the spark plugs? Are all of them about the same color or are 1 or 2 much blacker than the others? Have you changed the O2 sensors? I would also add the coolant temp sensor to the list of possibilities as it may not be indicating to the ECU that the engine is warm so the ECU is not leaning out the mix.
Old February 10th, 2007, 09:45 PM
ScottYates
Scott Yates
94 D90 #639, Yellow

Thanks Jim I'll try to test them and let you know. Thanks again all. Hopefully I will find the problem soon.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 13th, 2007, 08:27 PM
ScottYates
Scott Yates
94 D90 #639, Yellow

Unhappy

Well, it continues.

The fuel pump I received for Rimmer Bros. was wrong which of course I didn't know till I removed the tank.

Vacuum is 12 lbs at idle. New spark wires installed. Alternator was tested and came up good.

Next up.......compression test and if I can get a hold of Twisted in time I am going to try his MAF this weekend (if he can).

If anyone has an ephifany, by all means please share.
Old February 14th, 2007, 03:33 PM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

My vote is for MAF......
Old February 14th, 2007, 03:50 PM
RoverChic
D-90 Source P.I.
02 D2, 13 E350 AMG, 11 Ford F350

What did you clean the MAFS with? Eletrical contact cleaner works best or CRC MAF cleaner. Also is the CEL on (Should be OBD1 on the 1994)? Did it ever come on? What about the air filter? What about Cats?
Old February 14th, 2007, 07:59 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
If this is a sensor issue (MAF, O2, TPS....), then unplug one of them (MAF is probably easiest). By unplugging one, the CEL will be on (because the ECU will detect the fault) and will now run in "limp mode" (default mode) which (I was told) bypasses any sensor read. What happens then? Do you reach over 3500rpm? If you do then this is a sensor issue. If you don't then this is something else.

What I am not 100% sure is which sensor is bypassed in "limp mode" (fuel temp? air temp? TPS?....?)
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old February 15th, 2007, 12:27 AM
ScottYates
Scott Yates
94 D90 #639, Yellow

That's an interesting idea. Hell it may even run better in Limp In mode than it is now. I'll try it in the morning.
Old February 15th, 2007, 09:00 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro

Registry
So? :-)
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
Old February 18th, 2007, 12:02 AM
ScottYates
Scott Yates
94 D90 #639, Yellow

I drove it down to Denver today to hook up with Twisted (Thanks again). He had some spare parts so we swapped the MAF, throttle position sensor, and an ECU (just in case the other I tried was bad.
Same issues. Max speed is about 63 mph in a flat and 52 for hills. Mileage still sucks bad. Occasionally makes a popping in the exhaust. Still no high idle when cold. General consensus is a fuel pump.

Monland, making it throw a code makes no difference. Still crap for power and still will not exceed 3400 rpm. And just an FYI, even in limp in mode, the MAF sensor is still used (won't rev at all, lol).
Old February 18th, 2007, 11:43 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottYates
Monland, making it throw a code makes no difference. Still crap for power and still will not exceed 3400 rpm. And just an FYI, even in limp in mode, the MAF sensor is still used (won't rev at all, lol).
I guarantee you that the MAF sensor will not be used if you disconnect it! ;-) [and leave it disconnected to stay in limp mode]
There is also a fuel temp sensor (screwed to the fuel rail IIRC), did you check it out?
I would also agree than the fuel system might have something wrong with it. Did you do the test someone listed earlier (disconnect the "return" pipe and measure how much gasoline you get per second)?
I am sure you also verified that your air filter is in perfect shape and/or that you have no leak between the airbox and the TPS (and you probably already said that before, I am just too lazy to look in the previous posts! ;-) ).
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
Old February 18th, 2007, 07:16 PM
ScottYates
Scott Yates
94 D90 #639, Yellow

Monland,
You were right buddy (I just didn't do it right). With the MAF completely disconnected it revs with no problems.

I tested the fuel pump as outfield said. It took 58 seconds to output 12 ozs.

I bought the EP241 fuel pump that the Part Sub. Table says to use. It still will not rev and it runs alot worse with a lot of popping on acceleration. Either I screwed it up or something didn't like the pressure. I tried to find the relays to try that but none of the parts houses even show it so I guess I'll be ordering that also.
I am very close to selling this thing.......I love it but this is ridiculous.
Any other idea please shout or drop a line. 307-399-2902
Old February 19th, 2007, 09:28 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro

Registry
Quote:
With the MAF completely disconnected it revs with no problems.
Then this is a sensor thing (intake or emission sensor). Which ones did you replace at this time? I know you said Stepper Motor (well... not a sensor, but.... ;-) ). O2 sensors?
You did swap your MAF for a (known to be working) one at some point, right?
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
Old February 19th, 2007, 09:44 AM
TXRover
Joseph Reseland

Maybe the timing is off?
Old February 19th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

If the MAF disconnect let it rev above 3400, then it's something in the EFI sensing system; road speed sensor, coolant temp sensor, fuel temp sensor, maf (which is a sensor) itself, 02 sensors. That's about it. One of the above for sure...

Don't give up, you are so close!!
Old February 19th, 2007, 07:17 PM
ScottYates
Scott Yates
94 D90 #639, Yellow

I have traded in another MAF, temp sensor works as the gage reads correctly. It's a 94 so does not appear to have a road sensor. No idea how to check the coolant or fuel temp sensors. I have not done anything with the O2 sensors as I am assuming I would get a code.

BTW, I reverified the timing, I am dead-on at 4 degrees BTC (spec).

Also, switching the two fuel relays (which are not LR OEM for some reason) makes it worse even though they are identical. Two new relays coming. If that doesn't get it I'll go to the next item you guys think likely as I have surpassed my limited experience at this point.

Anyone no a link explaining how to test the remaining sensors? My lame ass CD manual has no information for troubleshooting.
Thanks everyone.
Old February 20th, 2007, 09:38 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro

Registry
Quote:
I have traded in another MAF, temp sensor works as the gage reads correctly. It's a 94 so does not appear to have a road sensor. No idea how to check the coolant or fuel temp sensors. I have not done anything with the O2 sensors as I am assuming I would get a code.

BTW, I reverified the timing, I am dead-on at 4 degrees BTC (spec).

Also, switching the two fuel relays (which are not LR OEM for some reason) makes it worse even though they are identical. Two new relays coming. If that doesn't get it I'll go to the next item you guys think likely as I have surpassed my limited experience at this point.

Anyone no a link explaining how to test the remaining sensors? My lame ass CD manual has no information for troubleshooting.
Thanks everyone.
First thing will be to locate the temp sensors! I have no idea where they are, but I saw them once I was troubleshooting some other issues :-)
I'll try to not forget to look at my manuals tonight (I have a bunch... chances are that one is going to contain something....). I think the Range Rover manuals contain a lot more test procedures. Someone pointed out some EFI test sheets a while ago on the Internet (scanned pages), those were excellent procedures if you ask me. I probably saved them somewhere but probably did not keep the links.... Someone has this handy?

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonLand
First thing will be to locate the temp sensors! I have no idea where they are, but I saw them once I was troubleshooting some other issues :-)
I'll try to not forget to look at my manuals tonight (I have a bunch... chances are that one is going to contain something....). I think the Range Rover manuals contain a lot more test procedures. Someone pointed out some EFI test sheets a while ago on the Internet (scanned pages), those were excellent procedures if you ask me. I probably saved them somewhere but probably did not keep the links.... Someone has this handy?
And by the way, no code does not mean not bad.... My Stepper motor was dead and I never got any code.... It depends how "bad" the sensor is.
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
Old February 20th, 2007, 10:44 AM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

If its the tmep sensor I am thinking about, it is just around the distributor area.
To the right, on top of the block. Near an injector.

Easy replacement.....may have my old one if it helps I can send it

Bryan
Old February 20th, 2007, 11:09 AM
ScottYates
Scott Yates
94 D90 #639, Yellow

btate is right. That is where the coolant sensor is on mine. I just don't know how to test them. This thing is crazy frustrating, lol. I have not been able to find a good manual anywhere. The Heritage Motors Land Rover CD sucks really bad. No troubleshooting and you can't make any hardcopies to take out into the garage. If anyone knows of a good one please shout so I can get one coming. 34 years old and I think I'm loosing my hair over this.
Old February 20th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

The "factory" manual is slightly better, but not much -- RAVE is useless on '94s. The coolant temp and the fuel temp sensors are both right around the distributor. Not sure if there's a way to test them, it may be easier to see if you can borrow known working ones.

Good luck,

Tony

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions