Safey Devices Reproduction - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 6th, 2006, 10:10 PM
TND90
Keith Allen
94 d90 ST

Safey Devices Reproduction

I am still working on a saftey devices safari rack reproduction. I have a local fab shop willing to work with me on the process. We are now trying to get the specs figured out as I want rack to look as authentic as possiable. All this to say, I need anyone with an original saftey devices rack to foward me any specs you can get. If anyone else has any helpful information, please fill free to post. I am really excited about this project as there is nothing I want more than an original safari rack. I will try to keep everyone posted on our project as I have had great feedback from fellow d90 owners desiring this rack. I am also open to ideas to improve the rack, mods etc. However, my main goal is to reproduce an authentic rack.

I look forward to hearing from everyone concering this project.

Thanks
Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 7th, 2006, 12:21 AM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Uh, Kieth. Have you tried contacting Safety Devices?

Word is (I think Mike stated this is post somewhere) that they didn't pull the rack & can still get one, but only through them of course.

If you go to thier website you can find it on page 4 of 7 on the pdf. This is from the 2005 catalog. They might manufacture one for you, albeit and a price.

DJ
Old December 7th, 2006, 08:13 AM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Menasco
Uh, Kieth. Have you tried contacting Safety Devices?

Word is (I think Mike stated this is post somewhere) that they didn't pull the rack & can still get one, but only through them of course.

If you go to thier website you can find it on page 4 of 7 on the pdf. This is from the 2005 catalog. They might manufacture one for you, albeit and a price.

DJ
You can also get the rack from a SD disitrbutor who might still have them in stock. I recently got an internal rollcage for my DI from one of their distributors. Just a thought.
Advertisement

Old December 7th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC
You can also get the rack from a SD disitrbutor who might still have them in stock. I recently got an internal rollcage for my DI from one of their distributors. Just a thought.
Who is the USA Distributor for SD? I would like to have an original SD roof rack for my ST D90.

Cheers...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 7th, 2006, 10:26 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

I sent a post about this some time ago after Pat (co-owner of Safety Devices) and I had a conversation about the NAS style parts. SD has not discontiued the rack or any of the parts. However they are moving their plant so things are slow. Pat aksed me to gauge interest to see how fast they would step up production of racks and such so I put a post here and only got one relpy from a potential buyer that would buy a rack. After giving that info to SD they decided not to rush into getting them produced (can't say as I blame them).
We already make rerplacements here at ECR, and I can tell you to make them, have them galvanized and then painted like the originals is a costly task. I don't see any market for a reproduction one (but that is just my opinion). We have explored it and found almost no takers. You can still find a rack or basket when you really need it (on this board or ebay). It may take some searching around, but you can still buy them (although they are used).
Just mt .02

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old December 7th, 2006, 10:34 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
how much?
Old December 7th, 2006, 10:47 AM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover
Who is the USA Distributor for SD? I would like to have an original SD roof rack for my ST D90.

Cheers...
I'm checking for availability and price.
Old December 7th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Grover
Mike

Registry
Talking

Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I have seen used racks for sale; however not very often. I was thinking of fabing a rack w/o the basket so I can fit it into my garage (the snorkel top misses it by 1/2 inch!). I guess I will have to strap the Christmas tree to wife's car until I find one or make one...lol

Cheers...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 7th, 2006, 12:37 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

So, any thoughts for a repro 110 external cage?

Mike,

Have you seen this rack pictured below? I plan on fabbing one eventually and it will sit on a 110 cage. I much prefer it because of its smaller height and overall bulk compared to the SD.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	110_brazil.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	7595   Click image for larger version

Name:	110_brazil_2.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	7596  

Old December 7th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Grover
Mike

Registry
That rack looks nice. I have seen them before. Since I have a soft top, my only choice for mount locations will be the roll cage bars above the front doors and the rear of the truck. What I am wanting to do is not use the basket, rather just using the rear ladder and the two cross bars and connect them with two bars running the length of the truck. I have see this done before on other D90's

Cheers...

Old December 7th, 2006, 12:51 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
BE BRAVE!! (design it yourself)

Do you really need to copy another design.? I mean its a pretty simple thing - A basket.. shallow sides.. some measurements. bent tubing. some brackets. maybe a shovel or light mounts.. galvanized then powdercoated or maybe rhinolined..
Any fabricator worth his salt should be able to approach the problem and relatively quickly come up with a workable design.. . even a removable one that folds up for storage wouldn't be very complex. .
I wouldn't worry too much about meeting the safety devices spec..
be brave!! (its what I tell my 6th and 7th graders!)
~Steve
Old December 7th, 2006, 12:59 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

I never liked the rear ladder idea. Unless connected to the frame you're just adding stress to the body. Also, what is the sense of all that weight (including a tent and two people) up there on the rack? If it's gutter mounted only you're running the risk of damage.

Ever see what the max roof weight is on these trucks? Certainly not the weight of a fancy, shmancy popup tent and two people of average size!

A cage mounted rack is best. The cage will be frame mounted so no problem.
Old December 7th, 2006, 01:16 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
so a gutter mount is better? I think the weight of people in a tent on top would be better suited being placed on the body and roll cage
Old December 7th, 2006, 01:23 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
D-90 Source Vendor

That's what Art said, it's better to have the weight on the rollbar (cage) and not on the gutters.
Old December 7th, 2006, 07:11 PM
TND90
Keith Allen
94 d90 ST

Everyone keeps saying you can get a new Saftey Devices rack. However I have not met or spoken to anyone who has actually purchased one. If someone wants to post the exact person to contact and the shipped cost of a new SD rack, I am all for it. Concerning the used ones that come up for sale here and on ebay, they are usually in average shape at best and incomplete, not to mention expensive.

I agree some improvements could be made. I would like to find a way to secure the rack to the roll cage. On the other hand, I perfer my 90 to look original as possiable. Hence my desire to maintain the overall saftey devices design.

Lastly, I am not doing this to make money. I am going to see what it cost to fab one the correct way and built it because I think it would be a fun project. If it works out, I will post some pics and if someone wants to buy one, thats great, if not, that great as well.

Anyway, I appreciate everyone's thoughts, keep'em coming.
Old December 7th, 2006, 07:50 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
D-90 Source Vendor

As soon as I here back from the folks in the UK I will post the price (FOB NY).
Old December 7th, 2006, 08:16 PM
punter
Scott
1966 Series IIA

If the price is reasonable, I'd be interested in a cage for my 110.
Old December 7th, 2006, 09:03 PM
bweaver
Brian

I would be interested in a roof rack...
Old December 8th, 2006, 12:04 AM
D901619
oscar

me too, for a soft top
Old December 8th, 2006, 07:58 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

PARTS!! I need the mounts. Badly. The only thing holding my rack on right now is chewing gum and hose clamps. WIsh someone made stronger mounts for the front of the rack where they bolt to the roll cage. Those mounts just don't like actually having something in the roof rack. I think i've gone through 3 clamps now? Ironically, i'm sure new mounts would probably be like 400 dollars when my 7.95 home depot purchase of hose clamps has made the rack stronger than ever.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions