Safety Tint? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 19th, 2011, 10:15 PM
kinetic
Kinetic Adventures
TDI's

Safety Tint?

I am in dire need of tinting on the windows of the 90 (SW) to keep the heat out. I was wondering if anyone here has experience with some of these tints / films that make the glass much harder to break. I know that llumar is making one that either comes in clear, or 30%. I'm not sure how effective it is at keeping heat out, or the local thief out for that matter as well. Any experiences one way or another? Thanks in advance!

-Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 20th, 2011, 07:04 AM
jakethesnake
Jake
95 D-90 ST

For heat reduction, 3M Crystalline is your answer. Check it out.
Old October 20th, 2011, 10:23 AM
kinetic
Kinetic Adventures
TDI's

Thanks, I have a good friend in Dubai - it makes south Florida look like Canada - so I will definitely check it out. I was really trying to see if anyone here has had experience with the security film. I saw that a couple of expedition trucks were using it, and I hear that it's rather popular in England. Was wondering if it really worked in hampering break-ins, or is more of an idealistic product that doesn't perform in the real world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 20th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Here in Nevada, there are laws about how dark the tint can be on various windows (side back drivers etc.) and the Highway Patrol does enforce. You may want to check on such laws in your state beforehand.
Old October 20th, 2011, 03:57 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

I had a basic tint (unknown brand) on mine when broken into a while back in argentina. No doubt it took them longer to get in as they had to remove the entire shattered window which was held together by the tinting film. It slowed them down for sure and made it so I caught them in the act...
Old October 20th, 2011, 04:43 PM
kinetic
Kinetic Adventures
TDI's

Dennis - I agree with being careful about tint laws, that said, I was hoping to be able to block most of the heat with something much lighter than the legal limit so nighttime 4wheeling isn't so bad. I checked, and the Crystalline by 3M is supposedly great at keeping the heat out without requiring dark tint to do so. Only problem I've heard about it from a dealer was that since the dye is in the inner protective layer, it scratches & shows scratches really easily - maybe not the best on the side wagon windows with my Weimaraner in the back.

Steve - That's interesting... maybe there's something to the safety tint after all. I know they are using it on windows for hurricanes down here. I first heard of it on a vehicle that is currently going around the world (110) and thought it may be a nice added layer of protection. Here's a link to llumar's version of the security tint. I am sure there are others for automotive use as well, but most of the companies I've found are for commercial / residential use.

http://www.llumar.com/en/AutoSafety.aspx

-Aaron
Old October 20th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I was looking into this too and still am. I'm slowly replacing all my glass with cut 1/4" laminate to improve on security. I plan on trips to Canada and the arctic as well, and the thought of having a tempered glass window vaporize while on a remote trip in the arctic has me motivated to get it done.

I really like the security of the safety film I have researched, but the one thing to remember about it that is a risk that needs mitigation, is that in an accident, it can really add time to rescue for first responders. imaging an accident in a SW where you have safety film on all glass, the door is jammed or locked, you're unconscious and the engine has caught fire.

My mitigation is the diesel conversion. I think if I still had a petrol engine I would leave the safety glass off at least the driver side window.

Might also be a good idea now that I think about it to have stickers made for the windows that say "Glass protected with Security Film" to not only deter thieves but also warn first responders to go to plan B.
Old October 21st, 2011, 11:06 AM
Chris Velardi
Chris Velardi
1975 101FC

I used the Gilla film (Deep Limo tint) for all the rear windows of the 110, # 1 it keeps the kids from screaming the sun is in their eyes second it dramatically reduces the heat build up from the sun on the dog and third it keeps prying eyes out out of the contents of the truck, (would you break into a truck that you cant tell if there is anything in it? ) You cant tell if the 145lb mastiff is in the back waiting for you . The front windows driver are only lightly tinted to make driving at night easier and keep it on the legal side (Law here says an officer should be able to read your drivers license through the drives side window if it is pressed up against the glass. )
Old October 21st, 2011, 05:57 PM
kinetic
Kinetic Adventures
TDI's

So I've talked to 3 installers of security type film, and none really like it for this application... So probably the best bet is just worry about the heat issue.
Chris, I think that dark tint has spared my previous two cars from break-ins for that very reason. BTW, the mastiff is cute - my parents have a female Boerboel who I am in love with. Now if only we can get her to outgrow being afraid of the vacum cleaner!! (she's almost two)
Old October 21st, 2011, 07:32 PM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
I thought these were kind of cool. Not everyones taste though perhaps.

http://www.landrover-panoramic.com/

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions