Safety devices rack - rust spots - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 13th, 2015, 03:50 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Safety devices rack - rust spots

I have two exceptionally annoying rust spots on the basket and I've tried all the OTC stuff, metal rescue and naval jelly, etc.. I have no interest in hauling this thing to a powdercoater cause of the dumb cost and the effort to get it there. Once rust is out, I'll just rattle can it.

Anyone run into this problem with old SD parts? Advice on the best chemicals to get rid of it? Maybe a big drill and a wire brush? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 13th, 2015, 04:03 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Probably 100 ways to skin this cat but I would Scotch Bright pad the area, phosphoric acid then rattle can it.
Old November 13th, 2015, 04:03 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Unless it's a weld or a hard to reach corner, I would think sanding it would be a heck of a lot easier than a wheel. Flappers and angle grinders make fast work of it all, but If it's just on the surface, you'll be down to bare metal pretty quick! Just prime and paint. That's how I saved all the guards on my RRC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 13th, 2015, 04:11 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Thanks guys, heading out to the hardware store now for the supplies.
Old November 13th, 2015, 06:56 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smob View Post
I have two exceptionally annoying rust spots on the basket and I've tried all the OTC stuff, metal rescue and naval jelly, etc.. I have no interest in hauling this thing to a powdercoater cause of the dumb cost and the effort to get it there. Once rust is out, I'll just rattle can it.

Anyone run into this problem with old SD parts? Advice on the best chemicals to get rid of it? Maybe a big drill and a wire brush? Thanks.
I'm surprised a wire brush (possibly drill operated) + naval jelly + POR15 + Rattlecan wouldn't work. My concern would be using the Naval jelly->POR15 up on the roof and it getting where you don't want it.
Old November 13th, 2015, 08:17 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstrubl View Post
I'm surprised a wire brush (possibly drill operated) + naval jelly + POR15 + Rattlecan wouldn't work. My concern would be using the Naval jelly->POR15 up on the roof and it getting where you don't want it.
Naval jelly?

Is that like ky?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old November 13th, 2015, 08:18 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstrubl View Post
I bet that a wire brush would do it, but tomorrow i'm going to try scotch brite pad and phosphoric acid.. if that fails, then wire brush to start.
Old November 13th, 2015, 11:46 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Naval jelly? Is that like ky?
Only if you're blonde and bruise you're girlfriend's belly button! ;-)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, rack, safety devices