Safety Devices Full Extenal Roll Cage - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 22nd, 2006, 11:52 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Safety Devices Full Extenal Roll Cage

Just a quick note for those of you looking to install a Safety Device full external roll cage on your SW's, it's pretty much the most terrible installation of something you'll go through. Cutting, drilling, gutting the inside, its got a bunch of everything you could possible want to avoid in it plus more. Its slow going but after day one, I'd say its about 2/3rd done unless I am forgetting something else terrible that needs to be done that has not come to light and should be finished tomorrow afternoon.

We've been taking tons of pictures for what looks like will be a huge installation write up. Lots of pitfalls for us NAS owners but a few windfalls as well that turned out to be huge time savers due to our NAS trucks existing roll cage setups but not as much as you might think.

More later.

Randy B, you are in for a treat installing this thing.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 23rd, 2006, 12:11 AM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Yep, we took lots of pics. Drilled lots of holes, some of them even in the right places. A few not quite. It looks like Woody Woodpecker attacked the truck. Beer and some top-shelf tequila helped the process along. A delivery of a cheap compressor at just the right time saved hours of ratcheting. Best $70 we could have spent. I'm too tired to wander into the office to upload pics so y'all'll have to wait until tomorrow. If I'm not too tired then.

Quote:

Randy B, you are in for a treat installing this thing.
Randy, bring it to Austin. I don't know how you'll get it here. Now that I've done one it should be a one day job.
Old April 23rd, 2006, 12:37 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Yes, that dude with the compressor rolled in at the perfect time. I didnt know Tony made arrangements for this guy to come by and I luckly had brought my Powertank and air tools for the tougher spots. When this guy rolled in, it was heavenly and that baby was sold. Made life about a million times easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 23rd, 2006, 08:46 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Thanks for the info guys. I have given up on finding a Safety Devices cage and am in the process of getting things together to have one built.

We are going to make it look much like the SD. Alan with the P38 at SCARR is doing it.

Sorry to hear it was such a pain, how did the Power Tank work with the air tools? Looking forward to the pictures.

If you can, I'd really like to see how it connects to the interior roll cage.
Old April 23rd, 2006, 09:21 AM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffer
Thanks for the info guys. I have given up on finding a Safety Devices cage and am in the process of getting things together to have one built.

We are going to make it look much like the SD. Alan with the P38 at SCARR is doing it.

Sorry to hear it was such a pain, how did the Power Tank work with the air tools? Looking forward to the pictures.

If you can, I'd really like to see how it connects to the interior roll cage.
It's a good system. It ties into the front cage mount point. The B-pillar uses the existing mount point for the internal roll bar. The internal cage gets completely removed. You gain a bunch of internal space that way. I'll post pics tonite and let Chris do a full write up on it.

We've used the Powertank before for airtools and it work well. We had a compressor yesterday that I bought.
Old April 23rd, 2006, 01:00 PM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

Hey Randy, hold out for a little while on the cage. I'm getting one from Evans in the UK, supposed to be even better than Safety Devices and easier to install. (Just what I've read) A well known rover aftermarket vendor here in the US has placed a large order for some and from what I've been told, it shouldn't be long till they arrive on our shores. I don't know if they're all spoken for yet or what. I'll ask. But if you're interested, you might want to wait a bit and see.
Old April 23rd, 2006, 02:48 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Nice timing on the announcement.

Quote:
[/size]
Old April 23rd, 2006, 04:00 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Thanks Thomas, I have been in touch with the guy that is going to start carrying the EvansUK stuff. It looks like a good cage but I am ready to "get er done" so I decided to go ahead with a custom.

Let me know when you get yours and how it installs.

Been meaning to tell Chris and Tony I like their Avatar shots, I'm going to see if I can figure out how to get one for my posts.
Old April 23rd, 2006, 07:08 PM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

Sorry Chris, I didn't know you were looking for a cage too. What's the deal with your truck? Your yellow one was totalled? And your new one didn't have a cage? Do tell.

I've also heard how nightmarish SD cages are to install. Bryan Tate from this board can tell you all about that. Very difficult and time consuming from what I understand. I posted here several months ago trying to find a supplier for one for my truck but had no luck. I of course heard about the company's restructuring, moving production to China, then Poland, blah, blah, blah. I was encouraged to have a local welding shop fab one up but when I tried that, no one would touch it without blueprints. Either that or the price was astronomical. It was an exercise in futility and pretty frustrating. Then I was turned on to Evans by a rover vendor here in Florida. It was a bit too pricey for me at the time so I kept shopping. Now I think I'm ready to make a purchase. I'm still waiting to see what the final cost is going to be then I'll make up my mind.

I'm either buying an A/C for this thing or a cage. It's a tough decision. Summer time in Florida with 100 F temperatures and 94% humidity or a little more peace of mind in terms of safety for my 2 year old and the new baby on the way. Decisions, decisions.....
Old April 23rd, 2006, 09:23 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Been meaning to tell Chris and Tony I like their Avatar shots, I'm going to see if I can figure out how to get one for my posts.
If you look closely, there's a D-90 in the background of mine. That's your truck Randy. Unfortunately the shot was blurry and only looks good at avatar sizes.
Old April 23rd, 2006, 10:30 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Randy if you want to good shot of yours for your avatar, I can make it for you.

Follow-up Post:

Well, the cage is on and looks pretty damn sweet. Now I have to spend a few nights this week putting the inside trim and everything back together. No more energy tonight. May just prep it for bedlining the whole floor. The rear carpets afer taking the back seats out is pretty bad and also there are like a million holes back there now from the seat mounts that were removed, not to mention the huge holes left over from replacing the rear supports. Thining I will bedline the inside and then cover the back with the full rear rubber mat from the other D90.

Follow-up Post:

Ok.. here are a few shots of it after we got done the outside. More will be coming later with a full write up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01532.JPG
Views:	361
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	5550   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01526.JPG
Views:	320
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	5551  

Name:	DSC01535.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	5552  

Quote:
[/size]
Old April 23rd, 2006, 11:07 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

I was going through the pics and noticed a bottle of beer features prominently in many of them. Resting on the wing. Sitting on the bumper. Lying on the ground. You think we might have been drinking on the job.

My favorite is below. I loved how I could reach my whole arm through the hole along with the new support. We're gonna have to patch that or you'll soon have raccoons living in there with you.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	finger.JPG
Views:	337
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	5553  
Old April 24th, 2006, 06:19 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
where did you get the cage? stable energies? looks awesome
Old April 24th, 2006, 07:44 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
where did you get the cage? stable energies? looks awesome
John Lee at Expedition Exchange sourced it for me from Safety Devices NA.

Quote:
[/size]
Old April 24th, 2006, 08:18 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
CVC, do yourself a favor and install the ST rubber mat in the bed. IT's a good time to do bedliner. But wither way, the rubber mat is far better than the carpet.
Old April 24th, 2006, 08:51 AM
C-Delta
Robert Andre
SIIA 1967--GM350

SD 110 Full External Roll Cage

Hello,

Can anyone give me an idea on what one of these NAS 110 FXRC
is worth/ what I might get for it?
It's off one of the 1 of 500 93s NAS 110.
I'm starting a 110SW build-up and thinking of going with out it.

Thanks
Old April 24th, 2006, 09:14 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Hey Chris and Tony, the cage looks great, I had no idea they were so hard to install. I thought they connected to the existing inside cage and supports.

If you want to leave your options open on reinstalling the rear seats just put some bolts & washers with rubber washers back in the holes where the seats bolt in.

David and Alan have some good pictures that I will try to put up for an avatar.
Old April 24th, 2006, 09:24 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Hey Chris and Tony, the cage looks great, I had no idea they were so hard to install. I thought they connected to the existing inside cage and supports.

If you want to leave your options open on reinstalling the rear seats just put some bolts & washers with rubber washers back in the holes where the seats bolt in.

David and Alan have some good pictures that I will try to put up for an avatar.
On the NAS trucks you luck out with not needing to full the front wings off and installing the A pillar supports. Also on NAS trucks, we already have the underside supports that run across the bottom of the truck under the tub for the base of the B pillars. However we do have to remove the entire internal cage and rear supports to put the ones for the external cage in.

Also, adding one of these cage means that you cant use the rear seats anymore with seat belts because you have to remove the brace that the seat belts mount to. Here is a picture of the mount you have to remove in the rear in order to mount the new support:
http://nnin.net/gallery2/defender/ca...01470.JPG.html

Its definatly possible to re-rig something for rear seatbelts but I really dont think I will go through the effort. There is so much room in there now with them out I dont think I want to put any of them in again.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand
CVC, do yourself a favor and install the ST rubber mat in the bed. IT's a good time to do bedliner. But wither way, the rubber mat is far better than the carpet.
I'm going to. The carpet now with the seats out have exposed a lot of holes plus I have to plate over the huge holes left from the previous rear supports. Figure try to fab a short term cover until I rip the carpet out, bedline it, and then pull the full rubber mat from the 94 and put it in there.

Quote:
[/size]
Old April 24th, 2006, 09:46 AM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

Good job,
Been there and done that....on the 110.
Not something I care to do again, I wish I had a write-up to follow or at least a 110 nearby to help measure the holes on the fenders
Old April 24th, 2006, 10:03 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Chris, great Job. It looks Bad Ass.

BTW, I will be sending you some pics of a writeup on replacing a rear fender skin on a rover tub. I will be doing it on a series rig but its the same effect.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
cage, safety devices