Safarigard 3-link rockguard BEWARE ! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 25th, 2007, 10:02 PM
jorge
JORGE ESPINOZA
97 ST WHITE MODS SUPERCHARGED

Registry
Safarigard 3-link rockguard BEWARE !

I just replaced both 7/16 bolts used in the rockguard mount to diff housing. Both bolts had sheared off and the broken studs took some time to remove. To all with a SG 3-link please check your hardware . Symptoms , knocking sound ,clicking sound when brake is applied . Once again please check your hardware , other than this problem I'm very satisfied with the performance of the 3-link .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 25th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

It should take over 30,000 LB of force to sheer off two 7/16 bolts. Something was very odd.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old April 25th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

I think Keith drove for a while without the center attatched after the toy convert. IMHO
To shear 2 7/16's grade 8 bolts takes some doing! They were grade 8's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 26th, 2007, 03:35 AM
Trevor Tarr
Trevor Tarr
1997 D-90 4.6 NAS ST

One possible explanation, based on something I've encountered. Those bolts seem to have a habit of getting loose. Generally I hear this pretty soon, crawl under the truck, and tighten them back up. But if they were allowed to stay loose, especially for an extended time, you'd have the RockGard bashing against them. They'd be subjected not just to shear, but to bending as well.

Also, are they really 7/16"? I seem to remember something about those being an unusual pattern, maybe BSF? It's been awhile, but I seem to remember that part (maybe all) of the problem I was having stemmed from someone along the line replacing them with the wrong threads.

I don't have the SG 3-link, just the stand-alone RockGard, but I believe the attachment design is identical.
Old April 26th, 2007, 07:17 AM
Cirbo
Jim C.
None

Those symptoms are very similar to worn bushings on the radius arms. Could that kind of play contribute to the failure?
Old April 26th, 2007, 07:34 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

I have had to re build several brand new SG 3 links were the rock guard attaches to the diff due to the mounting being far from close (1/4-3/8) from the diff housing. If the 7/16 bolts are used to draw this gap tight it does leave the bolts under some fairly high tension , and probably more likely to break.

I've installed many of these and SG are well aware of the issue......they claim sloppy manufacturing tolerances at the Rover axle assembly line......shocker.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old April 26th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

I too have installed 3-4 of these & I shim the gap before I snug the bolts & red locktight the shit out of them.
Old April 26th, 2007, 08:48 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Could you guys expand on this a little more? I need to replace the bushings and suspect the bolts as well since my 3-link has been showing wear and allowing the front axle to rotate a hair back and forth. I'm planning on addressing this hopefully in the next few weeks and would like to hear more of what people are doing.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old April 26th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Ray Bone
Ray Bone
defender.

Jorge! did i see you on Ave B or C time to time? where do you fix your truck? in the city?
I have some problem with my 90, I need some advice..
Bone
Old April 26th, 2007, 12:02 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Were the correct bolts installed? So it had been tapped up to 7/16?

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old April 26th, 2007, 01:41 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

I still have an unsupported rock gaurd (no bolts) things seem to be holding well and I fequently try to bend the thing with no success . I will at some point take it out and add some metal to reinforce if I don't change the whole thing out for something different first.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
3-link