SafariGard 3 link front suspension - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 31st, 2009, 12:19 AM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

SafariGard 3 link front suspension

Has anyone installed this?
The pro appears to be more front end articulation. Good.
But what about the cons? Squirrelly on the road?
Anyone have experience with this setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2009, 07:12 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

If you search you will find a miriad of information on this. It is a great product. I would have designed it differently, but you can drive all day on the street as long as you have the right spring and shock combination.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old May 31st, 2009, 08:53 PM
pushngo
Randy Williams

Call Justin at Lucky 8 he has a QT one which is way nicer for $1200 I believe they are like $2900 new
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2009, 09:06 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Even at $1200 thats a lot to swallow. The SG one at $600 is a good deal. At $1200 I would pay a shop to do it and fix some of the wierdness at the same time.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old June 1st, 2009, 08:23 AM
pushngo
Randy Williams

There is a lot more to the QT than a couple of chunks of tubing and a few plates.

Check it out

And I believe there is enough interest in the community that if you could produce one that would sell for $1200 it would sell. The SG was on backorder for ever at over $1k.
Old June 1st, 2009, 09:23 AM
cdb
Clark Bowen

Buck....

What is the "weirdness"?
Old June 1st, 2009, 09:36 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushngo
There is a lot more to the QT than a couple of chunks of tubing and a few plates.

Check it out

And I believe there is enough interest in the community that if you could produce one that would sell for $1200 it would sell. The SG was on backorder for ever at over $1k.
All I'm saying is bolt on is only good to a cirtain price. After that going to a fab shop and getting something a lot cleaner is the way to go.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb
Buck....

What is the "weirdness"?
Please don't misunderstand. I think the SG kit is a fantastic product. A good solution to a real problem. That said, attaching a third link to a tie rod skid plate is very wierd. Having a lower third is wierd as it obsorbs all the brake forces. Having a threaded tube for adjustment rather than bungs and hiems is really wierd.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old June 1st, 2009, 09:55 AM
cdb
Clark Bowen

You're up early.
Any pictures of you at the Hammers?
Old June 1st, 2009, 10:03 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I've been on the road since 5:30! I would complain but I'm pretty happy to still have a job!! I have a lot. You looking for KOH or just the hammers?

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old June 1st, 2009, 10:23 AM
cdb
Clark Bowen

Whatever you think.
Old June 1st, 2009, 10:39 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I can email you a link to my photobucket account. It has some good ones. Video too.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old June 1st, 2009, 12:29 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen

clark.bowen@gmail.com
Old June 1st, 2009, 12:38 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

I like mine, It works well and is a decent bolt on solution. I made several changes to mine, just because I could.
I drive it daily.
It is surprizingly streetable and have had a couple of occasions where someone pulled out in front of me while I was at speed, the emergency braking and steering charactoristics were not a problem.
I am running RTE grey 3" springs with pretty soft (160/80?) Bilstein 7100's

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old June 1st, 2009, 01:05 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushngo

Check it out

I have the SG one and its great I also installed about 3 more of them on other trucks. I have seen the QT one and do not like it compared to the SG one. You can not adjust the pinion one the QT one which is one of the best features on the SG unit.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
All I'm saying is bolt on is only good to a cirtain price. After that going to a fab shop and getting something a lot cleaner is the way to go.

Follow-up Post:

Please don't misunderstand. I think the SG kit is a fantastic product. A good solution to a real problem. That said, attaching a third link to a tie rod skid plate is very wierd. Having a lower third is wierd as it obsorbs all the brake forces. Having a threaded tube for adjustment rather than bungs and hiems is really wierd.

I think the new ones are Heimed..
Old June 1st, 2009, 04:08 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen

Randy...

Were the installations true bolt-ons or was welding required.
Have any been NAS with 300TDis installed?
My removable frame support has been replaced by a custom one for the 300 TDi and I think that is what the 3 link bolts to.
Old June 1st, 2009, 04:56 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

The install is true bolt on. A little drilling is all that is required if I remember right.
Old June 1st, 2009, 05:04 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb
Randy...

Were the installations true bolt-ons or was welding required.
Have any been NAS with 300TDis installed?
My removable frame support has been replaced by a custom one for the 300 TDi and I think that is what the 3 link bolts to.
We gave SG the pattern for the NAS/Tdi 3 link cross-member many years ago and they produced quite a few so that folks who had gone Tdi in their NAS trucks could run a 3 link. I had one in ECR4 for years, no issues, loved it on the street and trail.
Not sure if the new SG has that part anymore, but we still have all the dimensions if they are needed.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old June 1st, 2009, 05:45 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen

Thanks Mike, I'll check with them
Old June 1st, 2009, 06:09 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Its a complete bolt in system. Like Mike said, there is a TDI x-member that is still listed on the website. I spoke with Casey about one not to long ago and he said there are still available... On my truck, I have the stock Tdi trans x-member and the SG 3-link x-member both installed.
Old June 1st, 2009, 06:16 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
On my truck, I have the stock Tdi trans x-member and the SG 3-link x-member both installed.
That is the system we developed with Greg at SG. The Tdi gearbox x-member stays in place and the 3 link member goes in front of it where the V8 one would have been.
ECR4 was the first NAS to Tdi conversion truck to get a SG 3 link... way way back in the day.
OK... I'm old.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
front suspension