SafariGard 3 link front suspension - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 1st, 2009, 06:38 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Mike, any reason you don't use these anymore or make your own setups to use? I love the front flex on mine especially with the exo shock mounts I have on the front..
Advertisement

Old June 1st, 2009, 07:13 PM
wyorover
rick
landrover

3link

I had it on my 94 when bought it. great flex but not for everyday driving . and poorly built.

this might hurt a bit but if wallmart sold rover parts they would be safariGard.

I pulled mine went back to stock setup with rovertym links. the rest is lying around the shop.
Old June 1st, 2009, 08:26 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorover
I had it on my 94 when bought it. great flex but not for everyday driving . and poorly built.

this might hurt a bit but if wallmart sold rover parts they would be safariGard.

I pulled mine went back to stock setup with rovertym links. the rest is lying around the shop.
Huh, I loved mine. Never had an issue with it for 40,000 mostly street, everyday driver miles including cross country trips to Utah and back to Maine. Beat the snot out of it and never heard it whimper. Had to keep the link bolts tight but that was it. For an easy bolt on that gives so much flex it was a winner. I could never go back to the ridiculously limited travel of a standard front end.

Randy... we still do them. I always have a few in stock. We did make them, but now that SG is back we would just buy them.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 1st, 2009, 10:24 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
Huh, I loved mine. Never had an issue with it for 40,000 mostly street, everyday driver miles including cross country trips to Utah and back to Maine. Beat the snot out of it and never heard it whimper. Had to keep the link bolts tight but that was it. For an easy bolt on that gives so much flex it was a winner. I could never go back to the ridiculously limited travel of a standard front end.

Randy... we still do them. I always have a few in stock. We did make them, but now that SG is back we would just buy them.

X2 I love mine. Have driven to MAR 4 times at 70+mph and up north. Wheeled the snot out of it and drove home every time. I still have the original bushings in it as well. I would not change it back ever.

Mike, the reason I asked is that I never see any of them on your project builds...
Old June 1st, 2009, 11:14 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

X3 I might toss mine on the 110 if I sell RT1, I'm not really happy with the links I have on there now and pinion adjustability is a big +!!!
Of course if I sell RT1 I'll be in the market for a 90 (beat up!!!) I might stick it on that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old June 2nd, 2009, 09:50 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy

Mike, the reason I asked is that I never see any of them on your project builds...
We do quite a few, but they are usually with smaller projects, like, lift, lockers and a 3 link, that sort of thing... and those small projects do not make it to the web site anymore. I just don't have time to put up every project anymore. With all the guys putting out projects now I can't keep up. So I just document the projects that are one offs, customs, larger scope builds, and new things that we are trying to promote (like racks or whatever). So the web site now reflects the projects that I think are cool, not everything we are doing. I just couldn't keep up anymore and the web viewers don't need to see us install a 3 link for the ump-teenth time anyway. Its been well covered.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 11:07 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

I think your site is waay cool Mike... it gave me lots of inspiration and ideas on my project110 Td5... keep it coming!
Old June 2nd, 2009, 07:45 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

I was about ready to call SafariGard (they haven't responded to my email but I did find the TDi support that the 3 link attaches to on their website) when my son questioned if I would see much difference since I'm only running 33" tires. Does it take 35"+ tires to make it worth it?
Old June 2nd, 2009, 08:15 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb
I was about ready to call SafariGard (they haven't responded to my email but I did find the TDi support that the 3 link attaches to on their website) when my son questioned if I would see much difference since I'm only running 33" tires. Does it take 35"+ tires to make it worth it?
Not at all. You will see the articulation difference, and feel the benefits off road with stock size tires. In fact, you will have the potential for even greater overall articulation with 33" tires, since you will not need the larger bumpstops that 35" tires will require...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 08:32 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen

Scott,,,

That's good to hear.

Clark
Old June 2nd, 2009, 08:36 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
We do quite a few, but they are usually with smaller projects, like, lift, lockers and a 3 link, that sort of thing... and those small projects do not make it to the web site anymore. I just don't have time to put up every project anymore. With all the guys putting out projects now I can't keep up. So I just document the projects that are one offs, customs, larger scope builds, and new things that we are trying to promote (like racks or whatever). So the web site now reflects the projects that I think are cool, not everything we are doing. I just couldn't keep up anymore and the web viewers don't need to see us install a 3 link for the ump-teenth time anyway. Its been well covered.

Understood Mike. Keep up the great work and web site. cant wait to see the Td5 build one day..

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRNAD90
Not at all. You will see the articulation difference, and feel the benefits off road with stock size tires. In fact, you will have the potential for even greater overall articulation with 33" tires, since you will not need the larger bumpstops that 35" tires will require...
x2..
Old June 2nd, 2009, 08:43 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb
Scott,,,

That's good to hear.

Clark
He's absolutely right. BTW: I am real close so can help you if you need to get in touch with anyone.

edit:

This just made me chuckle. Your days of doing this:

Are over once you get a 3 link. No more almost rolling on a small rock!

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 08:49 PM
DD90
DD
94 D90

Does it need long travel shocks or special springs, and if so what its longest without cutting into wheelwell??
Old June 2nd, 2009, 09:00 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD90
Does it need long travel shocks or special springs, and if so what its longest without cutting into wheelwell??
Do you want my jerk answer or my nice answer? I could go either way today!

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 07:27 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Do you want my jerk answer or my nice answer? I could go either way today!

lol
Old June 3rd, 2009, 02:48 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen

Just spoke with SafariGard and they have a re-designed 3 link coming with poly bushings and it is Heim jointed.
They should have them in 2 - 3 weeks.
Old June 8th, 2009, 08:01 AM
discoinjapan
Michael Bruzga
93 D1/ 94 D90 ST/96 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorover

How much for your 3 link? I'll take it out of your shop for the right price.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
front suspension