Safarigard 3 link crossmember for 300tdi - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 9th, 2016, 08:06 AM
RockShow
Ben Goodwin
1996 D1

Safarigard 3 link crossmember for 300tdi

Is anyone running a SG 3link with a300tdi in a 90? I need to weld the center link mounting tabs to my crossmember and was hoping someone could help me out with a pic and some measurements
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 9th, 2016, 09:24 AM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

I did it a few years ago...let me dig through some pictures and see what I can find. It's pretty straight-forward, just center up your new link tab with the axle tab and make sure the crossmember is braced well since that point sees a lot of load.

As for the link, I just made a new one out of 2" 0.25 tube that re-used the SG bushing on the axle side and had a johnny joint on the frame side for pinion adjustment.

-Ash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

352-572-3236

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 9th, 2016, 11:05 AM
RockShow
Ben Goodwin
1996 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash View Post
I did it a few years ago...let me dig through some pictures and see what I can find. It's pretty straight-forward, just center up your new link tab with the axle tab and make sure the crossmember is braced well since that point sees a lot of load. As for the link, I just made a new one out of 2" 0.25 tube that re-used the SG bushing on the axle side and had a johnny joint on the frame side for pinion adjustment. -Ash
I thought the links seemed a little light and a Heim joint might be a better connection so I got a set of 1.25 joints just in case. I was going to tie the tabs and crossmember together using some 4" angle iron to spread the force across the member.

How did it change the road manners? I am temped to just start out with the 3 link so I never know the difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 9th, 2016, 05:26 PM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

You'll definitely experience more body roll since the radius arms do a pretty solid job of keeping the truck flat under cornering, but the right set of shocks can do a lot. Depending on how you've weighted the truck and how tall you're planning on building it you might want to give some consideration to a front swaybar, whether stock or aftermarket.

Also, if this is a truck that is going to see a lot of street use and mileage you may want to re-think those heims. I'm much more partial to a greasable cartridge style joint for overall longevity.

-Ash

352-572-3236

Old March 9th, 2016, 05:32 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

they really suck…The geometry is all wrong and truck feels "loose". Throw in any type of a lift and bigger tires and it really sucks. I've built a couple links for these, and in the end the owner has ditch it for a more stable suspension. You should never use a shock to correct suspension issues…Long travel sway bars help, but once again all you're doing is putting a band-aid on a bleeding artery
Old March 9th, 2016, 07:51 PM
RockShow
Ben Goodwin
1996 D1

It would see less than 100 miles a week if I drive it every day to work which probably wouldn't happen. I have the +2 ome med springs with 7100's and 33/10.5's so not too big. But I have the cranked long travel rears without a sway bar and hiem jointed steering links so it's going to be pretty loose already.

I wasn't planning on doing a 3 link but I got it for free so I figured why not give it a shot.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions