Safari snorkel - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 1st, 2010, 08:38 PM
Defender90_218
Trenton Smith
1997 D90

Safari snorkel

Im interested in mounting the safari snorkel on my 97 D90 SW NAS and am curious as to whether it will fit because of the cage and if so which model do I need since the heater means it has to mount on the driver side.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 2nd, 2010, 10:37 AM
Crash303
Josh Harris
97/ D90 ST #1190

I also am thinking about do the same thing. But I think you have to use a 200 tdi snorkel and mount it on the left side. And I'm sure that there will be some other fabrication with the intake hose in the engine compartment that is needed to make it work. I'm not sure if you use a 300 tdi snorkel that mounts on the right side will work because of the heater being in the way. But if you do try to tackle this I would love to see pictures.

"They are, in factory original condition, noisy, they leak water in from the top and oil out from underneath, you can never demist the windows in winter, they handle like scaffolding towers, and use more fuel than Beijing." Richard Hammond
Old July 3rd, 2010, 01:42 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash303 View Post
I also am thinking about do the same thing. But I think you have to use a 200 tdi snorkel and mount it on the left side. And I'm sure that there will be some other fabrication with the intake hose in the engine compartment that is needed to make it work. I'm not sure if you use a 300 tdi snorkel that mounts on the right side will work because of the heater being in the way. But if you do try to tackle this I would love to see pictures.
Lots of stream crossings in San Diego?

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 3rd, 2010, 12:27 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s View Post
Lots of stream crossings in San Diego?

Seriously... I've thought about ditching mine as I don't ever see a time when it will serve a true purpose...

it does look cool though... just not a mod I would ever do as it serves no real purpose (previous owner did mine)
Old July 3rd, 2010, 01:33 PM
surf110
Ze
130 Project

What about dust?
Old July 3rd, 2010, 03:13 PM
Crash303
Josh Harris
97/ D90 ST #1190

Well One: I have been thinking about moving back to Colorado next spring. And I think there are a couple of streams there. But I could be wrong???

Second: Ze is totally right about the dust. It helps with that and it brings in cool air in from the out side vs the engine compartment.

"They are, in factory original condition, noisy, they leak water in from the top and oil out from underneath, you can never demist the windows in winter, they handle like scaffolding towers, and use more fuel than Beijing." Richard Hammond
Old July 3rd, 2010, 03:33 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
300TDi or Pass Side mounting is almost certainly not going to work. 2 Issues.

1. There is no way I have found so far to route a 3" Hose from the air cleaner around the heater to the inner face of the fender without some very, very tight bends and/or rubbing on the corners of the heater box or interference with the hood.
2. The Fan Housing is right where you would need to come through the fender with most snorkels on the market.

See pics.

Shame because in the hot, dusty conditions (and occasional deep water crossing) I drive in I would like to put a snorkel on with a pre-cleaner. Don't like the looks or the design of the Mantec much and don't want something sticking up in my line of view on the drivers side either. Still on the drawing board for me. If anybody manages it, can you shoot some pics of how you did it?

Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash303 View Post
I also am thinking about do the same thing.

I'm not sure if you use a 300 tdi snorkel that mounts on the right side will work because of the heater being in the way. But if you do try to tackle this I would love to see pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	No Room 2.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	419.7 KB
ID:	29040   Click image for larger version

Name:	No Room 1.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	391.3 KB
ID:	29041  

Old July 3rd, 2010, 05:58 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf110 View Post
What about dust?
Where you wheel does dust stay below the 6 foot level? Doesn't where I wheel.

------ Follow up post added July 3rd, 2010 10:01 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipgregory View Post
300TDi or Pass Side mounting is almost certainly not going to work. 2 Issues.

1. There is no way I have found so far to route a 3" Hose from the air cleaner around the heater to the inner face of the fender without some very, very tight bends and/or rubbing on the corners of the heater box or interference with the hood.
2. The Fan Housing is right where you would need to come through the fender with most snorkels on the market.

See pics.

Shame because in the hot, dusty conditions (and occasional deep water crossing) I drive in I would like to put a snorkel on with a pre-cleaner. Don't like the looks or the design of the Mantec much and don't want something sticking up in my line of view on the drivers side either. Still on the drawing board for me. If anybody manages it, can you shoot some pics of how you did it?

Ian
Could you remove the heater core? Where you live you probably don't need it, or does it also pump the ac?

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old July 3rd, 2010, 06:31 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Thought about removing the heater, but we do most of our wheeling in the fall/winter/spring and it can get pretty chilly up in the higher elevations so I do use it quite a bit. A/C is a seperate system but I don't use it as it just freezes your knees and nothing else. I run with the windows out most of the time because they're a PITA on the trail.

Quote:
Could you remove the heater core? Where you live you probably don't need it, or does it also pump the ac?
Not sure where he is but look at this old pic of one of my D1s and the truck behind. It shows how bad the dust can get from the truck's perspective. Imagine what the air filter looks like? Dust for us on some trails can get like really thick brown fog right down to the ground and hang around for a while if it's calm. A Pre-cleaner is a big help for this type of stuff.

Quote:
Don't have any good pics but some of the creeks or water crossings can get pretty deep in places. Runnoff and snow melt from the mountins and so on. You can be hub deep one minute and in a hole over the hood a few seconds later with the truck filling up. A snorkel is good cheap insurance for this type of stuff. Many of our trails are wash or creek bottoms and you have to run along them quite often, not just cross them so its impractical to depth test all the time and they change all the time with the water flow so you often don't know about 'that hole' or washout before you're in it...

Edit... Ok, so he's in San Diego, wouldn't he come across many of the same or similar types of terrain/issues if he wheels inland?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dust.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	29042   Click image for larger version

Name:	Car Wash.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	29043  

Name:	Flow.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	430.1 KB
ID:	29044  
Old July 3rd, 2010, 07:07 PM
Art Vigil
Arthur Vigil
None

Quote:
Man you haven't wheeled in Colorado, or maybe you're always in the front. If you'd ever driven behind the lead vehicle you'd know that you eat plenty of dust driving a soft top. Most of it gets kicked up right at hood level (I'm talking about when you're driving on the dirt roads that take you to the trail)
Raising the air intake helps save replacing (or cleaning) air filters so often. Also brings cooler air in which is especially good for those of us with superchargers or when running trails on hot days.
A snorkel on a vehicle with a gas engine really isn't about water crossings or just pose value, they do serve a purpose.

Reminds me, I need to look for a snorkel

Best,
~Art
'95 RRC - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'72 Series III 88" NADA Turner 2.25 petrol (Lovely Rita)
'95 RRC Brooklands/TWR Edition 3.9V8
'97 D90SW NAS #2426 - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'95 D90ST NAS#2620 - Original owner
Old July 3rd, 2010, 07:35 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

You guys make me laugh. You're all good guys, but lol.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old July 4th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Crash303
Josh Harris
97/ D90 ST #1190

Hey Buck those adventures to the mall and the grocery stores can get quite hairy, you never know when you might have cross a water fountain or something? And those things can be deep!!!

Old July 4th, 2010, 05:22 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

so...

does the oem air intake just pull from the engine bay or does it pull from the driver side wing vent? if it's just the engine bay what does that wing vent do?

(things you'd think I'd know but mine has had a snorkel as long as I've had it...)
Old July 4th, 2010, 06:22 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender90_218 View Post
Im interested in mounting the safari snorkel on my 97 D90 SW NAS and am curious as to whether it will fit because of the cage and if so which model do I need since the heater means it has to mount on the driver side.

Thanks in advance
Trenton, check out the Mantec raised air intake. It's a much higher quality piece, all metal. It's also very easy to mount on a NAS D90 and the only cutting it requires is the trumpet on your air filter box.

I've been very happy with my snorkel. I don't go through deep water and haven't been around enough dust to test the air filter theory but it has most definitely helped keep my engine running cooler in this South Texas heat.

PS: Trenton, if you're in San Antonio on the last Tuesday of the month, you should come to the South Texas Rovers meet-up. We meet at The Cove on Cypress at around 7PM.

http://southtexasrovers.com
Old July 5th, 2010, 05:02 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Chris is right, the Mantec is the only one that doesn't require some form of hole to be cut and/or other major modifications to fit. Problem is that it looks like pic 1. I could live with that but then there's pic 2. Besides the fact that that's a heck of a lot of (ribbed) hose to suck air through, it's sitting on or against all sorts of stuff as it works its way through the engine bay. Add the fact that you have to relocate or move the fuse box or washer bottle on a 97 like the OP and I have to get the hose out from under the fender as well means it's not completely a quick drop and fit either. But it does require a lot less butchering of the truck.

I just like the idea of sticking it on the pass side out of the driver's direct view and keeping the inlet path as short and straight as possible and away from interference in the rest of the engine bay. Problem is that the NAS cage pushes the inlet point forward from the stock point so it interferes with the heater fan housing.

If we can't work out something like the stock 300TDi inlet to match up to a pass side mounting then you (and I) will probably have to suck it up and call a Mantec Plumber...

To answer another question, there is nothing in the current Safari Snorkel range that I can see that would be a bolt on fit for a 97 NAS V8. The nearest is probably the 200TDi version that uses the Drivers side fender but you would have to add the hose from the fender to the air cleaner and it would be about the same as the Mantec under the hood. Might look better from the outside though. Looks like that's what the guy in pics 3 and 4 did as well as fabricating a mount for the cage.

Anybody else got any better ideas or made a pass side mount set up work?

Pics 1 and 2 borrowed from eBay, 3 and 4 borrowed from another thread on the forum.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	!Btpj7)!CWk~$(KGrHqYH-EIEvsdjqy1vBL80kHTPfQ~~_3.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	29074   Click image for larger version

Name:	!BtpkEL!CWk~$(KGrHqIH-DgEvqeouWfBBL80kmG9bg~~_3.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	29075  

Name:	IMG_1531.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	574.4 KB
ID:	29076   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1512.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	513.1 KB
ID:	29077  

Old July 23rd, 2010, 04:59 PM
Defender90_218
Trenton Smith
1997 D90

The red defender above is exactly what I was thinking, anyone know whos 90 that is?

Chris, I think I passed your group when yall were headed to Sisterdale and I've actually heard your name before in land rover circles before. Ill have to wait till next month to meet your group, I just got back from Colorado and the 90 is in the shop to fix some trail damage and get a few upgrades but thanks for the invite. (Also yall's site isn't working)
Old July 23rd, 2010, 05:07 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender90_218 View Post
The red defender above is exactly what I was thinking, anyone know whos 90 that is?

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=25834
Old July 23rd, 2010, 05:13 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Where do you get the pre filter that fits a Mantec snorkel?
Old July 23rd, 2010, 05:14 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
John Lee fabricated a pretty nice one for his 97 D90. There's a thread where someone (CvC, I think) posted a link to a page on archive.org that had the details.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 05:19 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-1...ir-intake.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
snorkel