Safari hinges on NAS door??? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 10th, 2009, 10:05 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Safari hinges on NAS door???

Don't know if they are called Safari hinges or not so forgive my ignorance.....they are the "swivel-arm" type hinges I've seen on the Series truck like the Series III Randy sold.

Can these bolt onto a NAS D90??

Do the holes line up??

What are they properly called??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 10th, 2009, 10:18 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
They're just series-style hinges. You can put defender hinges on a series, so presume you can go the other way as well. You trying to completely series-ify the green truck?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old March 10th, 2009, 10:21 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

I have severe "Series Envy"......and since Randy sold his truck I am SOL!!

I like the retro look.

Any advantages/disadvantages to one over other?? They still use them on rear door so don't understand why??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 10th, 2009, 10:39 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I'll let someone else weigh in on the pros and cons, I've never lived with a set. The rear door ones aren't exactly the same, the series ones (especially the top hinge) is quite sticky-outy.

Old March 11th, 2009, 12:18 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Yes, you can put them on, but you need to find a way to mount a mirror. Late SIIa hinges had a provision for a mirror, but SII/SIIa early the mirrors were on the wings (which were useless at speed due to vibrations). You have to mount the hinges in sets so you can't have a D90 top hinge and a series bottom hinge or vice versa. They also use different bolts.

Ron

PS not sure I understand JimC's comment about the rear (I assume 5th SW rear) door.
Old March 11th, 2009, 12:30 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I made a garbled sentence - I meant the top hinge on the series front doors stick out a bit. The rear door hinges seem to have gone through a few versions, maybe its just the addition of a center hinge, I don't really know what's what other than I know there is a newer hinge used on the Td5s etc.

Old March 11th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
There are a few different iterations of SII/IIa door hinges. there are ones with a mirror mount as said and then there are different castings over the years. If you do get a set, make sure they are a matched set as I have had ones from different years that just don't match at all.

The main difference is that defender/SIII stlye hignes are "self closing" i.e the door tilts up as it opens, causing it to want to close automatically, and the SII/IIa style hignes allow the door to stay in plane with the rest of the truck and not close by itself.

this also prevents the door pillar from getting dented by the door when it swings too far. the II/Iia hinge allows the door to swing a full 180 degrees, where it subsequently hits the fender and puts a dent there instead...

if the II/IIa types are not aligned just right they work loose over time. they squeak and allow the doors to move up and down. the rebuild kit is like $5 so you can fix them easily. and you will...

NAS SIII's came with a pretty good mirror mount that goes under the upper door hinge bolts. I have a set on my SII. Might be adaptable to a defender style mirror, but why bother. the SIII style mirror works ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
The rear door hinges seem to have gone through a few versions, maybe its just the addition of a center hinge, I don't really know what's what other than I know there is a newer hinge used on the Td5s etc.
Old March 11th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Jeff, hope these help-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs
Could you post a pic of your mirror mount.

-Jeff
Attached Images

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
door, nas