Safari Gard Brush Gard/Bumper - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old January 12th, 2011, 08:15 AM
1992 RRC
Safari Gard Brush Gard/Bumper

I recently had my original bumper and brush gaurd removed on my D-90 and had a Safari Gard put on. Last weekend I took my D-90 to get a state inspection (Mecklenburg County, NC) and it would not pass because the lack of directionals up front. The original bumper had the directionals built in but this bumper has no place. I hear some folks have wired the fog lights as signals I've also heard there is a kit out there but cannot seem to find it. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience they would share?

Thank you, Jason

Old January 12th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Chris von C
No Defender at this time
Check with ECR, they used to have a kit for this or you can redo the wiring yourself as explained in the last part of this:

Relocating Bumper Signals ('94)

Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2000 11:58 AM
Subject: Re: [D90] Rewiring blinker lights on 94

"William Campbell" wrote:
>I am getting the rockware bumper, but I suppose I will no longer have the
>blinkers in the bumper. Can anybody give some info on how they have
>rewired the blinkers lights to the lower running light?

I ran into the same situation with my '94. I was going to get real fancy with a bunch of relays and load resistors to make both lights (pairs) function as both turn indicators and running lights, but in the end I got lazy and bought the East Coast Rovers turn signal relocation kit (replaces the bottom signals). I might be wrong, but I think just re-routing the turn signal to the existing lower lamp causes your signals to flash too quickly; you need to use a higher wattage bulb.

The ECR kit is expensive for what you get, but it is plug-n-play and blinks at the correct rate. It looks like they just take an off-the- shelf LR part (which already has the correct wiring harness), install the correct bulb, drill through the mounting holes (NAS assemblies mount differently from Euro lamps), and paint the interior backing plate black (or maybe it is black from LR?). They also give you installation instructions, which ain't rocket science, but one tip that makes things easier (that I might not have thought of), is to remove the headlight. The big hole gives easy access to the wiring harness, especially on the passenger side.

I also swapped out the upper amber lights for clear lights. This makes it look and function like European spec Defenders (if you like that sort of thing).

FWIW - the ECR kit and the clear lamps do not have D.O.T. markings, and, strictly speaking, may not be street legal. They also have a different seal arrangement. The stock lamps have the dome glued to the back plate, and the bulb assembly locks in from the rear. The replacement units have a removable dome and rubber seals. Bulb replacement requires disassembly (which can be done w/o opening the hood), whereas I think the stock bulbs can be swapped out from the rear w/o removal from the vehicle (but in a practical sense removal makes things easier). Six of one, half dozen of the other.

Jeez, I'm feeling wordy today...

Jeff Gauvin
'94 D90

Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2000 10:29 AM
Subject: RE: [D90] Rewiring blinker lights on 94

I did it with a pair of cutters... just simply snip away and connect the flasher positive to the bottom position light, tape away the old positive (in case you ever need it again...)

(Don't forget to put correct wattage bulbs in to get the signals to flash at the correct rate....ed)

Chris von C

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions