Safari Gard - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 18th, 2008, 06:15 PM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBaxter
That brand has got to be worth something and the reputation could be quickly rehabilitated by a well-respected sole practioner in the community (several of whom quickly come to mind.) The key questions are: can you make money selling that kind of stuff given the cost of materials, labor, distribution, marketing, etc. and is welding and fabrication what you want to spend your time on?
Gary, why would ya want to? Almost every truck is different, even if out of spec 5 mm, they still aren't produced to a strict tolerance. So to make products for a vehicle brand that has a LONG history of ill fitment, it would be nuts to build stuff for out of house fitment and sales.
However, there are some folks out there who realize this when ordering, and can handle a slight tweak if need be, and I'm talking about SLIGHT. But then there's the masses, where everyone wants precision fitment on something that so out of square,etc...
I know there are companies out there now( I'm not naming them) that put out some good stuff. But even those products don't always fit too well without a little modification.
Advertisement

Old May 19th, 2008, 06:20 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Not to flog a dead horse but.

I had to alter every 3-link, bumper, slider and suspension component I've ever used from SG. Well made stuff and some good design, but terrible control on the spec. I got tired of the missing bits that I had to build and the excuses. I still have several incomplete 3-links sitting on the shelf (customer owned).

Rovers may be a little on the "out of spec" but other companies ....Rock Ware, RTE, ARB....etc.etc can make bits that can bolt on. Even Scrapiron can do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old June 27th, 2008, 03:39 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

Just noticed this thread: http://www.lrrforums.com/showthread.php?t=7888 ... seems like SG may be coming back to life.. I wonder if theyll make good on the people still waiting for parts.
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 27th, 2008, 04:14 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Things are going to be a little different. There are going to be two divisions of Safari Gard. Greg will be heading up design and fabrication and I will take over selling and installing Safari Gard products. Currently we are restocking inventory, giving the website a make over, and updating the merchandise. I will let you know when the website is ready to go. The IT guy is working on it right now. Once the website is up, everything listed "in stock" will be ready for immediate shipment. Bumpers are in progress
They need a third department. Customer service.
Old June 27th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I think I would start hammering on this new "partner" Scott if I were one of the masses who had been taken. I would think he would want nothing more than to put that stigma behind him.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old June 27th, 2008, 04:50 PM
RoverC
Cliff
1997 D90 ST

I was just looking through an old LR mag the other day and it mentioned SG.
This guy met him at the 50th Anniversary get together and was from the UK
SG agreed to do all sorts of work to this guys D90 as he was taking it on a trip through Africa!

According to the article, once this guys truck was at SG, THEN he was told they couldnt do this, couldnt do that, etc.
Finally this guy gets his truck back in the UK, and has to install the suspension himself! What?!?
Of course, the directions werent clear, parts wernt needed so they had to redo it all the next weekend.

On the trip through Africa, the suspension basically grenaded itself. shock towers broke, shocks leaked etc.
Turns out SG gave him the wrong shocks and bump stops too!

Now here is a guy who sent his truck half way around the world, THEN was told they couldnt do all the work they promised, he had to do his own suspension install in the UK, AND the parts and instructions were wrong to boot!

WHY does anyone EVER want to do any business with these people? All I can say is anyone that does (IMHO), after all the bad press over the past decade, deserves to get screwed should they be dumb enough to use these guys or support them.

Shows the parts arent all that good, customer service sucks, and they dont live up to thier promises over and over. Maybe those same people believe that Enron didnt do anything wrong, or that there is no housing bubble?
Old June 27th, 2008, 05:29 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
That was typical SG... I purchased several 3-links from them and every time there were missing parts....OR the wrong parts.... I have to admit that I love the 3- link though. Mine works flawlessly.
Old June 27th, 2008, 06:00 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Just PMed Scott the new guy, he says they have 3-links made up... i wonder if one of those 3-links is mine... from a year ago?
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old June 27th, 2008, 06:02 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Is there a new owner Dan?
Old June 28th, 2008, 02:08 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
Is there a new owner Dan?
I think its Greg and a new guy named Scott. Anyways, I got a very nice call from Scott tonight about my 3-link. I'll let you guys know how it goes, but so far its positive and their customer service went you about 10 fold. More details later.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions