S/S Window Stud Frustration - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 4th, 2005, 01:47 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

S/S Window Stud Frustration

Well, I finally got my stainless steel window studs last week. Unfortunately, the door tops are nearly un-removable with these new studs. A friend and I spent an evening bending the old rusty studs so that the windows came off more or less cleanly. I'm debating whether I should just live with the very poor fit or sell the S/S studs and put the old rusted things back on.

Is there any way to bend the new s/s studs, the female-threaded door top sleeve, or the in-door sleeve? Anybody else had this problem?

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 4th, 2005, 01:54 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Is your configuration different that the 95? I dont understand the problem...
Old December 4th, 2005, 02:24 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Is your configuration different that the 95? I dont understand the problem...
Not sure about the 95. The problem is, we purposely bent the old studs to make the window tops go on/off smoothly. Now that I have new, straight S/S studs, the window tops are very difficult to remove. I don't think that I will be able to bend the new S/S studs, at least not easily. I'm wondering if there is another solution, like somehow repositioning the channel (sleeve?) that is built into the top of the door frame.

/
/
/
/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 4th, 2005, 03:13 AM
Scott 9835
Scott Falter
95 D90

Try Removing one of the plastic sleeves. There should be two per door. They slip over the studs. I removed one from each door and it makes fitting the windows alot easier and when they are tight they dont rattle
Old December 4th, 2005, 09:38 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Also take a round file and do a little work on the holes in the door. Mine stick after I put them in for the winter but then again I also keep a pry bar in my tool box mostly for popping the windows. Also grease the studs.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old December 5th, 2005, 08:20 AM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott 9835
Try Removing one of the plastic sleeves. There should be two per door. They slip over the studs. I removed one from each door and it makes fitting the windows alot easier and when they are tight they dont rattle
When I put my stainless steel studs in, the plastic sleeves wouldnt fit - they went into the bag with the old studs. I got mine from GulfCoast or JTEK. No rattles. Although taking the original ones was a b1tch.
Old December 5th, 2005, 11:06 AM
jstrong98
Jon Strong

I took all the plastic sleeves off for easier install/ removal. Get a fat O-ring that is the same ID as the OD of the window bolt and slide up to the window frame.

JS
Old December 5th, 2005, 09:16 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott 9835
Actually, the GCR S/S studs do not come with (nor need) plastic sleeves. The problem with mine is not so much the internal diameter of the door sleeves, it's that something is misaligned. Either the sleeves in the doors are misaligned (doubtful) or the threaded reciever in the door tops is misaligned. To make the factory studs work properly, I had to grind them down AND bend one of them approx 5 degrees. Something is very wrong with my window tops.

Why do the studs have to fit so snugly? Wouldn't it be sufficient to allow them a sligtly loose fit (easy insertion) and tighten the nut down snug to keep the window from rattling?

Chris

/
/
/
/

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
window