Rusty sheet under gas/brake/clutch - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 6th, 2013, 10:50 PM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

Rusty sheet under gas/brake/clutch

Hi all. Check out the rust. I snapped a quick photo but didn't think to look if it was rivited or welded in. Is this part easily replaced? Just some stock sheetmetal cut to size? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Floorboard.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	81690  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 6th, 2013, 11:03 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Footwell repair panel. Weld in. Job done.
Old October 6th, 2013, 11:23 PM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

Thanks guys. Is this the weld in repair piece? Or am I just simply looking for a piece of flat sheetmetal?
http://www.urbanlandcruisers.com/sho...pair-panel-ns/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 7th, 2013, 01:18 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

There are actually two pieces. That one and the reinforcing one. Check out roversnorth as they seem to have the ones closes to factory.
Old October 7th, 2013, 10:55 AM
CaptMidnite
Daniel Choi
94 NAS Defender 90 ST

Anyone have a link to a detailed footwell replacement thread? Did a search already, everyone just says "Weld the new footwell in, ta- da"

Curious about how easy/hard footwell replacement is without removing bulkhead or stripping the vehicle down, and how to paint the footwell inside and out.
Old October 7th, 2013, 11:18 AM
flananuts
Matthew
LRC Customs #003 D110 Soft Top

Registry
Your pick looks a lot like my footwells on the driver and passenger side. For mine, instead of welding in a new footwell box, I just cut out the bad metal, and shaped a piece for the repair. You'll need to remove your floor tins and the bolts and plastic nut inserts will need new ones(easily purchased). Once I welded them in, I then used seam sealer on both sides and then primer painted the metal. On the exterior I used a 3M product for painting your tire wells and it works great.

I would also suggest that you replace your bulkhead vent seals unless you can confirm that the rust came from the outside in. I chose to go with the Series rubber ones versus the original felt.
Old October 7th, 2013, 11:20 AM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by flananuts View Post
Your pick looks a lot like my footwells on the driver and passenger side. For mine, instead of welding in a new footwell box, I just cut out the bad metal, and shaped a piece for the repair. You'll need to remove your floor tins and the bolts and plastic nut inserts will need new ones(easily purchased). Once I welded them in, I then used seam sealer on both sides and then primer painted the metal. On the exterior I used a 3M product for painting your tire wells and it works great.

I would also suggest that you replace your bulkhead vent seals unless you can confirm that the rust came from the outside in. I chose to go with the Series rubber ones versus the original felt.

Awesome advice! Thanks!
Old October 7th, 2013, 11:56 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroPro View Post
Hi all. Check out the rust. I snapped a quick photo but didn't think to look if it was rivited or welded in. Is this part easily replaced? Just some stock sheetmetal cut to size? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
There is an upper surface and a lower surface.

The upper surface is basically just bent sheet metal.

The lower surface is a waffle-shaped reinforcement plate that attaches to the back side.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
brake, clutch, gas