Rusty parts coating advice - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 11th, 2011, 10:05 PM
spartan
Fred
83 D110

Registry
Rusty parts coating advice

I see that some folks galvanize many parts that need freshening up. Is it better to have parts galvanized or powder coated?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 11th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Galvanize or galvanize/paint. You can even galvanize and powdercoat, but there are specific powdercoats/proceedures to follow so you don't blister from outgassing. You can do the galvanize with an etch dip suitable for painting (wet painting/rattle can) that I prefer for components that will get damaged as you can then fix them easily.
Old September 13th, 2011, 08:29 AM
flananuts
Matthew
LRC Customs #003 D110 Soft Top

Registry
What particular parts are you talking about? Curious as I had my chassis and all the undercarriage parts sprayed with POR(rust remediation).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 13th, 2011, 11:05 AM
spartan
Fred
83 D110

Registry
Parts bolted to the frame, engine compartment pieces and interior components like the seat rails.
Old September 13th, 2011, 11:41 AM
flananuts
Matthew
LRC Customs #003 D110 Soft Top

Registry
I like the rust remediation products simply due to the cost. If I ever need to do a new chassis, I'll make the investment to have all the under carraige stuff galvinized then.
Old September 13th, 2011, 12:53 PM
N1ck B
Nick
95 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by flananuts
What particular parts are you talking about? Curious as I had my chassis and all the undercarriage parts sprayed with POR(rust remediation).
Do you have more info on this POR??? Where did you get it?
Old September 13th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1ck B

Do you have more info on this POR??? Where did you get it?
POR-15. Google it, lots of places sell it. Good stuff if you are looking for an intermediate solution for rust.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old September 14th, 2011, 08:37 AM
MAX711
Andrew Dance
1994 D-90 ST

+1 for POR-15. It's great stuff. I used it almost exclusively on my ground up restoration. I powder coated the chassis though.

Good prep is essential and you can't paint out of the can, you have to pour some into a Dixie cup and paint from that. Read the instructions well. It also doesn't like sun light, will get a whitish powered haze on it but it still retains it's properties, just looks like crap. Best solution is to top coat it with a rattle can when it's still a little tacky. For parts that wouldn't get direct sunlight its not a problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1829073734.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	42008   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2998424173.png
Views:	133
Size:	824.7 KB
ID:	42009  

Old September 14th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

POR15 is good stuff. They recommend not getting it on your skin. Listen to that recommendation--if you do, the only think I have found that works to get it off is sandpaper.
Old September 14th, 2011, 10:39 AM
spartan
Fred
83 D110

Registry
Galvanize or powdercoat is still better then POR-15, right? I have used POR- 15 with success but cant imagine its better then sandblasting before Galvanizing or powdercaoting.
Old September 15th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Rufus
Rufus
1994 NAS D90 ST #1118

Registry
Has anyone used PPG epoxy primer? I read on the ECR site that they used it and I was going to try it. Thanks to D90 source I found eastwood internal frame coating and I am going to try that as well. Galvy is awesome, but I have heard that if you ever need to do any welds for repair, etc. it will get challenging i.e. you will have to grind the galvy away to get down to white metal and even then some say the steel is compromised from getting a good weld because the galvy penetrates deep (just what I have heard). POR-15 is great stuff and I second many of the comments already said about it. I found that you should apply multiple coats - I stripped my 3rd brake light bar to white metal put 2 coats of POR-15 and it has surface rust in spots where the pait is too thin after one year. I also should have used a top coat because it has reacted to sunlight. I also painted my whole frame with POR-15 and it is great, but is peeling in a few spots which is most likely because I should have prepped the frame better before painting. and yes I had POR all over my arms for about 2 weeks...
Old September 15th, 2011, 10:22 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

You can weld galvanized steel fine. Just grind away and then spray when you are done with cold galvanizing compound. I have still never seen a picture of a structurally compromised galvanized steel land rover part. JL did say his used bulkhead had some rust where multiple layers of steel where sandwiched together.
Old September 16th, 2011, 01:56 AM
spartan
Fred
83 D110

Registry
Is it ok to spray galvanized parts with cold / canned galvanized stuff? Im thinking of the interior parts that are galvanized from the factory. Does it hold up fine? Im just trying to make it look nicer. Its not rusting.
Old September 16th, 2011, 06:42 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

POR-15 will convert the rust and make it stable and hard. You can paint it if you do it right away or use an approved primer, etching primer. If your parts are badly rusted I would use the POR-15 above all else. You can spray it if you use a quality reducer to thin it out. Be careful when using it as it does flow, run, very well. As mentioned above it you get it on your skin and do not get it off right away you will have it on you for a while, or until the skin wears off.
Old September 16th, 2011, 10:31 AM
blenkush
Severin Blenkush
97 D90 LE, 10 Lotus Exige S, 05 LR3

Rust Bullet is another POR 15 like product I've used with good results. I've not experienced the peeling that I did with POR 15.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
part, parts