Rusting Bulkhead on a 110 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 14th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Spectre
Stephen
'76 SIII Lightweight

Unhappy Rusting Bulkhead on a 110

I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me some suggestions on how to fix a rusting area on a bulkhead. Right now, money is too tight for total replacement and its probably not needed (rust seems to be confined to this area). Has anyone had any experience either welding, repair or filling this or could give any meaningful suggestions? Thanks in advance!

-Steve

PS- I do have some bubbles on the door, so I need those need to be fixed as well, but the bulkhead is priority #1 at this point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1244.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	8994   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1245.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	8995  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1246.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	8996  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 15th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Have you pulled the black vinyl cover off the kick panel on the inside? The rust on mine was up near the rubber vent fillers (NAS 110) but it turned out that whole support piece was rusted away at the bottom pretty bad, and yours looks like it might be worse than mine was. If it is just the outside, I would take the doors and fenders off and grind away the rust and use a rust converter before repainting it. It isn't a permanent fix, but will slow it down and buy you some time till you replace the bulkhead completely. Also, check the crevice where the front floor panels meet the bulkhead floor (this is where water always pools and causes a lot of cancer).
Old April 15th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

That actually looks pretty bad to me. My bulkhead had no external signs at all that there was a problem untill the floor rotted away. Check where Andrew mentioned by where you put your feet. Then be sure to take the window off (one piece) and check under that as well. If you want to fix it right, I would pull the front fenders, door, and windhield. Cut off the areas that are rusting, weld in new pieces and use liquid steel as a filler. If you do all that you could have a repair that lasts for 10 more years. It would be easy to do yourself, the only thing that would really cost you is to repaint but you could probably find a deal on just the bulkhead.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 16th, 2007, 12:00 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Like Buck said, it does look pretty bad and a bulkhead isn't all that exp. The killer would be the labor if you can't do the work yourself, but it shouldn't be that bad either since you don't have the NAS dash to deal with! I would check with George and see if he has one you can buy.
Old April 16th, 2007, 04:08 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
What are you looking to spend? I woudl do a complete bulkhead for sure..
Old April 16th, 2007, 04:52 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
That looks pretty bad to me. I condemed a bulkhead that had no rust on the door pillars but when I pulled back the rubber mats from the toe boards...fresh air. Easy to say from this side of the pond, I picked up a good 300 tdi bulkhead with steering column at the Old Sodbury Sort Out for 80 and then sold the steering column for 15 on the day, but that's another story.
I think you can get door pillar repair sections and probably the whole footwell as a repair section too.
Also check carefully below the wind screen nder the foam sealer strip, thats another favorite spot for rusting quietly away unseen untill it's too late
Old April 16th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

since you don't have the NAS dash to deal with! it is a pain in the ass!
Andrew does your 110 have alloy's on it????
Old April 16th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Not now...I have a set, but haven't decided if I am going to put them on or not. I think I am going to refinish the steelies and swap the tires off the alloys onto the originals. Why? Are you looking for a set?
Old April 22nd, 2007, 09:41 PM
Spectre
Stephen
'76 SIII Lightweight

I was thinking of something like this might be effective. I have poked around quite extensively and the rust does seem to be somewhat confined. I do need a new radiator as it is disentigrating.

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/93phase3.html

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags