Rusted diff cover - wth? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 2nd, 2007, 04:25 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

Rusted diff cover - wth?

It appears that my rear diff cover has rusted through! Has anyone had/seen such a thing happen? I've got a pinhole near the top of the cover (about the 11 o'clock position looking at it from the back) and it's started to make a hell of a mess. I cleaned it up and plugged it with silicone for now.

The worst part is that the cover does not appear removeable... it's not bolted into place like most I've seen. Is there any way to fix this short of a new rear housing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 2nd, 2007, 04:33 PM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
We have been getting the call on these rather often now. if it's a small spot JB Weld does the trick. For larger trouble you can use a weld on style cover http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/DA1044.cfm

Eric
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 04:37 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Go to pirate and search for a "sewer cap," that will never rust through. I have a couple whole housings here if you are interested. The weld on that AB sells will work fine, but why not "upgrade"

Ron
Advertisement

Old July 2nd, 2007, 05:44 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

http://www.rovertracks.com/products/accessories.html
Old July 3rd, 2007, 02:44 AM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

At the risk of sounding like a newbie where is 'pirate' to search for the sewer cap? I've been using the philosophy that all this broken stuff on my D90 is a good excuse to upgrade... somehow that makes all the spending $$ pain more bearable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Go to pirate and search for a "sewer cap," that will never rust through. I have a couple whole housings here if you are interested. The weld on that AB sells will work fine, but why not "upgrade"

Ron
Old July 3rd, 2007, 08:39 AM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
Go with Ron's idea. Having never installed one I always thought the sewer cap went over the stock housings. Hmm this might be a new product. Thanks Ron.

Eric
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 09:53 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Yes, definately sell those Eric! Rovertracks makes great stuff.

Ron

PS as listed above these are the ones that are seen on pirate4x4.com

http://www.rovertracks.com/products/accessories.html

Some people buy a sewer cap and weld it on. The trick is getting one that clears the stock panhard rod or buying rovertracks panhard rod.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 06:36 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaherring
It appears that my rear diff cover has rusted through! Has anyone had/seen such a thing happen? I've got a pinhole near the top of the cover (about the 11 o'clock position looking at it from the back) and it's started to make a hell of a mess. I cleaned it up and plugged it with silicone for now.

The worst part is that the cover does not appear removeable... it's not bolted into place like most I've seen. Is there any way to fix this short of a new rear housing?
If you buy the sewer cap, next time you are driving down to S.D. make a stop by and I will weld everything up for you.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
cover