Rust (under carriage/etc) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 8th, 2010, 05:14 PM
cwilder
Chad
2012 110 Black

Registry
Rust (under carriage/etc)

I'm looking for a D-90 and most have rust under the truck. Some look very good otherwise. What can be done to repair if I bought a truck with a little rust and then again, maybe it's not a major issue. I wanted to hear some opinions from folks who have D-90's and are more mechanically inclined than me. Lastly, if you where buying would you go with a 94/95 or 97 and why?

Thanks in advance,
CW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 8th, 2010, 05:21 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Has anyone, out of curiosity, used a rust converter spray on the underside of a truck before? If so, how are the results, assuming it's mainly surface rust?

-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old April 8th, 2010, 05:30 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I touch up mine with the spray can of rust converter you can buy at wal-mart etc. My LWB probably has had a couple cans sprayed on it over its life.
Advertisement

Old April 8th, 2010, 05:30 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Many people scrape the rust off (if its just surface rust) then Waxoyl the undercarriage. If you are in Florida, you probably wont have many issues with salt on the road.

I've heard some people use Fluid Film as well but I think Waxoyl lasts longer.

Depending on how you will be driving one will depend on what you should get. If I was in FL, I would get a ST and run a surrey all year long Manual or auto - your choice.

There's a place in Pompano where there is a large selection of Defenders, perhaps you should check them out http://britrover.com/listman/listings/ - just a suggestion. Most of those are hand picked and will probably have alot of the mech issues sorted out already.

Good luck with your search!
Old April 8th, 2010, 05:49 PM
cwilder
Chad
2012 110 Black

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityD90 View Post
Many people scrape the rust off (if its just surface rust) then Waxoyl the undercarriage. If you are in Florida, you probably wont have many issues with salt on the road.

I've heard some people use Fluid Film as well but I think Waxoyl lasts longer.

Depending on how you will be driving one will depend on what you should get. If I was in FL, I would get a ST and run a surrey all year long Manual or auto - your choice.

There's a place in Pompano where there is a large selection of Defenders, perhaps you should check them out http://britrover.com/listman/listings/ - just a suggestion. Most of those are hand picked and will probably have alot of the mech issues sorted out already.

Good luck with your search!
There's a guy with a Beluga Black 95 for sale that he bought from them. It's a good looking truck. Has a little rust underneath, that's kinda why I was asking. I have been leaning towards a 97 because I wanted auto. The plan is to put a surrey and drive as much as possible. 97 seem to be a little more pricey and black seems harder to locate regardless of year.

CW
Old April 8th, 2010, 06:09 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
97s have the advantage of being OBDII compliant, which makes it easier during inspection times.
Patience is a practice very difficult to adhere to when looking for a defender.

At least you are narrowing down your criteria on what you want.
Old April 8th, 2010, 06:27 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Quote:
97s have the advantage of being OBDII compliant, which makes it easier during inspection times.
Or harder if you engine swap...
Old April 8th, 2010, 06:47 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Patience is a practice very difficult to adhere to when looking for a defender.

At least you are narrowing down your criteria on what you want.
Why would it be easier to be OBD II compliant ... I thought the pre ODB II test was easier??
Old April 8th, 2010, 07:05 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Why would it be easier to be OBD II compliant ... I thought the pre ODB II test was easier??
Less and less shops are keeping the older equipment running making it harder to do inspections on pre OBDII vehicles.

I had a hard time finding a place to do mine. No one had a dyno working near me.

Interesting point about engine swap issue.
Old April 8th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
And that is when you get the beautiful thing called EXEMPTED.

When I had the 95 D90, they exempted me straight out of the emmissions ....

Quote:
Less and less shops are keeping the older equipment running making it harder to do inspections on pre OBDII vehicles.

I had a hard time finding a place to do mine. No one had a dyno working near me.

Interesting point about engine swap issue.
Old April 8th, 2010, 07:31 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
And that is when you get the beautiful thing called EXEMPTED.

When I had the 95 D90, they exempted me straight out of the emmissions ....
Can you talk to NY DMV for me to get mine exempt next time round? Which reminds me it's coming up soon
Old April 8th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
I took my 94 in for emissions and I was told it is to old, so it's exempt from testing.
The cutoff is 15 years!
That's good luck.
Old April 8th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Gery,

I believe there is a GLITCH on the Emmissions Law ( Federal ) and if the vehicle has been registered in the state and suddenly not possible to perform the Emissions test, they must exempt, as the burden for the test is on them not you.

It is worth the effort to check it out.

I know they couldn't do my Diablo when I lived in NY and NJ and I was EXEMPT for few years until sold

Quote:
Can you talk to NY DMV for me to get mine exempt next time round? Which reminds me it's coming up soon
Old April 8th, 2010, 10:12 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
Gery,

I believe there is a GLITCH on the Emmissions Law ( Federal ) and if the vehicle has been registered in the state and suddenly not possible to perform the Emissions test, they must exempt, as the burden for the test is on them not you.

It is worth the effort to check it out.

I know they couldn't do my Diablo when I lived in NY and NJ and I was EXEMPT for few years until sold
I agree with Gustavo, my 95 DI is exempt in NY. Never had a problem with inspection in Queens or Rockland County.
Old April 9th, 2010, 08:36 AM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
First year I got my defender, I went to 4 places and none could do it. I eventually went to of all places Land Rover Massapequa which sent it over the Volvo dealership next door which had a running dyno. Got it done last year again there but sadly the Massapequa Land Rover closed down along with Volvo dealer next door (I think they were part of the same auto group)

I will look into the exempt clause in NY. I thought it was something like a 20 yr old vehicle was eligible.
I'm sure I can get it done someplace else but what a pain to have to drive more than a couple miles to do it. Nice way to waste a couple hours in a search.

What turned from a thread about rust control to finding the right defender to emmision regulations we've taken it all over the place! Lol!
Old April 9th, 2010, 11:57 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

If you do rust converter get the brush on type and it goes a lot further and works better, wire wheel first, then convert, then waxoyl.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions