Rust - options? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 26th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Rust - options?

So the Range Rover's a bit rusty (understatement).

As I dig deeper, I find deeper rust. What are the best products to stop or repair the rust damage? There are two scenarios, here: one is bad rust on the frame itself (there are at least two rust holes in the frame)and other undercarriage parts that are rusty, and the second is varying degrees of rust on body parts (under the decker panel and inside the headlight boxes).

For example, under the decking panel/cowl behind the bonnet: the area only functions to contain the wiper assembler, hood spring assembly, and some surface rust. The springs for the hood are corroded badly, too.

This area is supposed to be white. Is light sanding, wipe-down, and white rustoleum a good way of treating and protecting the area before closing it up again for another very long time? Same goes for the headlight boxes. These are a bit worse, but can be wire brushed clean, wiped, and painted.

Question for these areas is: is rustoleum any good? I had some handy from house projects outside. it seems to last for a few years or more when the surface rust is properly prepared.

For the undercarriage parts... what's best? ospho, rhinoliner, POR15, or ???

I have to get the frame repaired, and I ahve a local body shop that I'll talk to, but once that's done, I wantto get a handle on the rust.

Sorry this got so long; figured I'd include the details.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 26th, 2007, 09:37 AM
SmilingOnion
Nash
1994 Defender 90

A product I have used is the brand "Dupli-Color" called, "Rust Fix" and it has worked well. There are different names for different brands; some call it "Rust Converter". Basically, it chemically stops the oxidation process vs. covering it or sealing it, like you would with a primer. The product is sold at most auto or hardware stores. This is for surface rust only. Definitely mechanically remove as much rust as you can first, no matter what product you use. Deep rust such as on your frame needs to be professionally repaired.
Old March 26th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Caribsurf
Donald McDowell
Black 1997 D-90 soft top

Hi if you check some of the archives, or type in "rust" in the search option you will find many many posts concerning rust. There are some great recommendations including Ospho, Hammerite, Por-15 and other similar products that help stop/convert the rust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 26th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Thanks, I searched *after* posting... sorry.

It seemed it was a toss-up between ospho/primer/paint, and waxoyl for undercarriage rust.

Rustoleum for the light surface rust parts ought to be OK with good pre-brushing/sanding/scrubbing.
Old March 26th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

I now swear by the por-15 process (using all steps as recommended) after having used it to restore a frame on another project car.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions